| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Malwarebytes is crashing my computer
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 10:49 am    

I've been using MBAM for several years with no problems (and almost no hits). Today it is showing 2 items (while still scanning) and then windows goes blue screen and shuts down. 3 times. The first time I was doing a full scan (which I never do--I always do the quick scan). Tried full scan again. Crash. Tried the quick scan. Crash.
Windows restarts with no problems.

The windows error message shows two items as the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\122213-32916-01.dmp
C:\Users\JON\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-62025-0.sysdata.xml

I'm pretty confused and without a clue.

Win7, up to date. Firefox 26. MBAM up to date.

Any thoughts?
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 10:57 am    

This may not be of any help, but when I have programs that act like that, I uninstall them and then re-install them. Most of the time it works. My biggest offender is RealPlayer. MBAM just makes my computer run a little slower, but not much.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 11:40 am    

Don't know if this help or not , but I had something similar to that on an XP OS . Downloaded MBAM and it went berserk. Took a while to get to the bottom of it and the result was with my McAfee conflicting with the MBAM , each was declaring the other as an intruder. I had to disable both to straighten out the mess. I 'm sure but I think Win 7 has a version of Malware on it. Could be a conflict. Hope this helps.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 11:50 am    

Thanks for that but I've been running Mal for a couple of years on this rig with no problems. Norton AV. There have never been any conflicts. Yes, I have recently downloaded Win updates. Any known issues, anyone?
Richard--I'll try the re-install later when I get the chance. Maybe I'll do a system restore too.
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 12:38 pm    

Jon the last update I had on my Win7 was for Malicious soft ware. I do remember seeing that in my files.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 12:56 pm    

Running Win 7 64-bit, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, updates current, and nothing to report here.

Have you poked around in Event Viewer to try to zero in on what's behind the BSODs?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:21 pm    

*sigh*
---was unaware of such a thing as an event viewer. I've found it and looked it over but I just don't have a clue what to do with it. It does show some events---presumably these events. But beyond that......
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:33 pm    

In Event Viewer, see if you have a folder "Custom Views", and under that, a stub item "Administrative Events". If you get that far, you're looking for "Critical" events. Look down the left column for those. Any event you highlight will give some detail about it in the screens below the list. It can be cryptic, but sometimes you can see references that may be helpful. The date/time column can help you by matching them to the BSOD occurence(s). If, by chance, you see something that includes a filename in a BSOD event description, Google that file and see what application it belongs to. You won't always get that lucky, but at least it's something worth a try.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:42 pm    

Yeah--looks like it's all there. Cryptic? You ain't kidding.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 2:41 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Yeah--looks like it's all there. Cryptic? You ain't kidding.

I know. But at least you've got something to work with. Again, look for "Critical" events, optimally immediately after you have a BSOD so it'll be easy to spot in the event list. Be sure to click it to open up the detail panes below. If you get lucky, you might see a clue as to what triggered it.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 3:21 pm    

Yeah--I did try to follow up on a few of these items but the online help was less than specific and suggested some 'subsciption' stuff that was outside of my 'expertise'.
I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled MBAM and I just completed a quick scan with no drama.
Next time I'm bored I'll try the long scan again and see what happens. Meanwhile it looks like I'm good.

BTW, Ray--- it seems like at least one in 5 Tuesday Windows updates includes a 'malicious something or other removal tool'. I don't know what it's about but it has never caused anything attention grabbing.

Thanks to you all for stepping up.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 6:05 pm    

I cringe every time I see that little balloon that says that my computer(s) have had a window update.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 4:49 pm    

I find the best solution is to reinstall Windows. Make a backup of the fresh install this time. It will save hours of reinstalling everything next time.

Carter D-10 & Peavey Nashville 1000

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 5:37 am    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
I find the best solution is to reinstall Windows. Make a backup of the fresh install this time. It will save hours of reinstalling everything next time.

I'd rather French-kiss a rattlesnake than reinstall Windows. There's a lot of diagnostic stuff that can be done before reinstalling the OS, which also means reinstalling every application you use, including any proprietary drivers not included in the OS, and potentially losing valuable data if you don't have it backed up. An OS reinstall is my absolute last resort, and I haven't had to resort to it in many years.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 5:53 am    

I've run several quick scans with no issues. Nobody's frenching nothin today.

Follow-up question, though:
after years of quick-scanning with no problems, this crashing thing happened after setting off a full scan. Didn't crash until close to an hour into the scan (twice). Then after that, even the quick scan triggered the BSOD.
Could the full scan be tickling (probing) something deep & sensitive that the quick scan is missing? Or could it be as simple as some sort of corruption with the most recent update and the full scan thing is just coincidental? As it is now, the 'fix' was to uninstall MBAM and re-download/install it.
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 8:27 am    

Jon Light wrote:
Could the full scan be tickling (probing) something deep & sensitive that the quick scan is missing? Or could it be as simple as some sort of corruption with the most recent update and the full scan thing is just coincidental? As it is now, the 'fix' was to uninstall MBAM and re-download/install it.

I discount anything having to do with updates on the basis that many of us are "up to date", we're running Malwarebytes, and we aren't having BSOD issues.

Wiz is the resident expert, but I think full scans just look in more places, as opposed to looking "deeper". Could possibly be both, I don't know. I've run both types of scans over time and never had anything untoward happen. BSODs can be brought on by myriad things, both hardware and software issues, and I've had my share of them. The last one was fairly recently, when I discovered I had a driver installed for hardware that didn't require one. Uninstall driver = BSODs gone.

The only way to resolve BSODs is to simply dig in to the system internals when it happens and search for leads as to the culprit. The information's there but you have to dig for it - which is why I pointed you to the Event Viewer. I realize it's geeky, but it's a computer. If you're persistent, you'll eventually find the problem, but I seriously doubt you've fixed it by just reinstalling Malwarebytes - I suspect something else is going on.

If BSODs continue, I personally would be exercising the system, running frequent scans or whatever else causes BSODs, and then searching for what caused them. I would also be using the analytical tools available to me in the JV16 Power Tools software I have for any leads it might provide. Another thing you could do prophylactically would be to open a DOS box and type the command sfc /scannow to check to see if all your system files are intact.

That's all I know (well, almost Wink). Good Luck
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 8:39 am    

I guess a reinstall is less of a big deal to me. I keep all those drivers and programs in a backup folder on another drive. Same with the programs I use. For me, a fresh install is faster and keeps everything running fast. To each his own.

www.16tracks.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 9:25 am    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
I guess a reinstall is less of a big deal to me. I keep all those drivers and programs in a backup folder on another drive. Same with the programs I use. For me, a fresh install is faster and keeps everything running fast. To each his own.

Yeah, everyone has their preferences. But I'm not sure I understand the part about keeping programs "in a backup folder on another drive".

Most applications write a lot of information to the registry when they're installed, and after an OS re-install, that info's not in the registry. Even if they're "backed up on another drive", they won't run unless they're reinstalled too. Once I've done a clean reinstall of Windows, the business of reinstalling all the hardware and software alone takes me nearly a week, working on it most of every day. Then, after the software is reinstalled, I have to go into each one and re-do all the settings for the video editor, the audio editor, the flight simulator....numerous others. It's a huge job. That was what my "rattlesnake" comment was about.

My silver bullet is keeping frequent and multiple images of all my hard drives on two separate external RAID backup drives. That turns an ordeal into a 30-min fix with minimal data loss.
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 10:28 am    

When I reinstall Windows, all of the programs need to be reinstalled too. But sometimes I just reinstall from a backup image made right after a fresh windows install. It will reinstall all of the programs that were already there when the backup image was made.

www.16tracks.com
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 10:44 am    

Jon Light wrote:
I've run several quick scans with no issues. Nobody's frenching nothin today.

Follow-up question, though:
after years of quick-scanning with no problems, this crashing thing happened after setting off a full scan. Didn't crash until close to an hour into the scan (twice). Then after that, even the quick scan triggered the BSOD.

Could be corrupted indexes, or even bad sectors on the hard drive. Setup a disk check to run on the next startup. Open (My) Computer and right click on the hard drive in question and left-select Properties. When the Properties box opens go to Tools. The first section down is called "Error-checking." Click on the Check Now button, acknowledge the UAC prompt, typing in your administrator password if necessary. A box opens with two options. Check both options and click "Start." Since the computer locks system files when they are in use, Windows will ask to schedule a disk check the next time you start your computer. Click the "Schedule disk check" button, dismissing the options box, then OK to dismiss the Properties box. Reboot your PC and do not touch any keys until Windows has rebooted to the Welcome Screen, or your Windows desktop.

This feature is known as Chkdsk, in DOS terms. It fixes bad indexes, locates bad sectors and attempts to relocate data out of them and into good sectors. It also fixes crosslinked files that can happen after a bad shutdown.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 12:31 pm    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
When I reinstall Windows, all of the programs need to be reinstalled too. But sometimes I just reinstall from a backup image made right after a fresh windows install. It will reinstall all of the programs that were already there when the backup image was made.

Ah. There's the missing information you didn't mention in your other post. Images - yes - absolutely. They're the preferred way to go, IMO.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 1:15 pm    

Thanks, Wiz. I ran the procedure. I don't know if it found nothing or if it found and fixed stuff. All I know is that it took a while and now I'm up & running.
As I have said, everything's been fine. I've run several quick scans since the reinstall a week ago and there have been no problems. Knock on woodgrained formica.
Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2013 1:16 pm    

Jon Light wrote:
Thanks, Wiz. I ran the procedure. I don't know if it found nothing or if it found and fixed stuff. All I know is that it took a while and now I'm up & running.
As I have said, everything's been fine. I've run several quick scans since the reinstall a week ago and there have been no problems. Knock on woodgrained formica.

Tapokita tapokita
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Gary Shepherd

Fox, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 9:32 am    

Hey Wiz...
Not trying to be contradictory or anything but here's my experience today.

I got myself a new motherboard and CPU for Christmas. I installed the hardware last night and software today.

The Win7 installation took about 12 minutes. Another 40 minutes or so for all my programs.

Testing your statements about Java getting reinstalled to an older version by OpenOffice....

I downloaded the latest Java 7-45.

Then I installed OpenOffice 4.

Checked my Java and it's still 7-45.

Of course it really doesn't matter. I'll probably keep using OpenOffice and you'll probably keep using LibreOffice. I just don't think your statement about Java was accurate.

Anyway, the new 8-core AMD FX-8350 is flying at 4GHz with no overclocking on the ASUS M5A99FX. Sweet!!

www.16tracks.com
Dave Potter

Texas
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2013 10:04 am    

Gary Shepherd wrote:
Testing your statements about Java getting reinstalled to an older version by OpenOffice....I downloaded the latest Java 7-45. Then I installed OpenOffice 4. Checked my Java and it's still 7-45. Of course it really doesn't matter. I'll probably keep using OpenOffice and you'll probably keep using LibreOffice. I just don't think your statement about Java was accurate.

This page explains some of that, although it seems to be written for OO versions prior to 4.

Thread creep alert.