| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any recommendations for a Shobud "overhaul" expert
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 9:02 am    

I bought a D-10 Shobud Superpro a few years back, and haven't been using it as it has been packed away. So currently I am playing a gfi student s-10 tuned to e9 (nice sounding guitar), a fender 400 tuned to d-9 (like e-9 but no broken strings—fantastic fender tone as all you fender people know), and assorted lap steels tuned to c-6. Since I am trying to get familiar with both E-9 and C6 tunings, I am again thinking about getting the mechanical parts of the Superpro overhauled to be like new as was suggested years ago in the post below . (I also thought about a nice universal but thats a long way off financially and then theres the learning curve)

Although the bud is very heavy and I really can't take it anywhere, it does have a MAGIC tone and awesum green color. I figure getting it overhauled would be a good investment, and if I ever decided to sell or trade, I would know exactly what I have to offer. Years ago I talked to John Coop about doing it but didn't really have the money to get it done. I know he isn't around anymore so I was wondering who has a good reputation on Shobuds these days. Maybe some guestimates on price ranges also.

Here is the old post with pictures and comments.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=115383&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=1ca9f89093990df0407dca2f2fb4c668

Thanks
K

BastropTexas, USA 78602
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 9:16 am     Sho-Bud

Ricky Davis, he's a forum member.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 10:02 am    

Another recommendation for Sho-Bro Ricky Davis. I took my LDG to him and am extremely satisfied with his work and price.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 12:05 pm    

OOPS. I had written a long message on how to do some of the work yourself. Then I just looked at the pictures again. I noticed that the finger where the spring is missing is actually broken. It needs to be replaced. Definitely find someone that can do the work.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 12:55 pm    

James Morehead, in Oklahoma, also a forum member.
Ian Stynes

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2013 1:45 pm    

James Morehead is super knowledgable about Sho~buds and is a great guy.
-Ian

Queensbury, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 5:13 am     Overhaul

TOMMY CASS, BOSTON MASS A FORUM MEMBER, AND THE VERY BEST!
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 6:58 am    

All of the above.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 7:31 am    

No matter who you use, try to get a firm completion date. A friend of mine sent his Sho~Bud Professional out to have some knee levers added and everything gone through and set up, and it has been several months (longer that some new guitar delivery times), with some un-met delivery dates. I'm not going to mention who the rebuilder is, as I really don't want to bad mouth him. I'm just saying to be careful.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 8:21 am    

At least one of the rebuilders mentioned has some injury issues and a serious backlog. If I didn't have this pesky day job, I'd take up PSG rebuilding because I find it fun. But making parts is beyond me.
Either a completion date or a "geez, I'm backed up, have patience."
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 9:55 am    

There is a guy in Tallahassee (much closer than the others mentioned) that is an expert steel mechanic. I've seen several that he has overhauled, including a Sho-Bud and an Emmons PP, and they look new. I just forgot his name.

I'll see if I can get his name and post it.
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2013 10:08 am    

It's Albert Johnson. He did my p/p before I got it, and it plays like a dream.
Tony Williamson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2013 2:33 pm    

all i can say is im glad my shobud is a hybrid, or i still wouldnt have one to play. i ordered knee levers in jan 2012, and they arent here yet, i was basically told to quit inquiring or i would be sent a box of used parts. beware who you send it to. try your best to do it yourself, because you will be able to live with the results a lot easier and it will be at home with you. be careful.

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2013 2:40 pm    

"I also thought about a nice universal but thats a long way off financially and then theres the learning curve"

Learning curve is about a day, if you have the time to woodshed.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2013 9:10 pm    

Another vote for Ricky. Ricky is my mentor and taught me much of what I know about refurbing Shobuds. The late John Coop, also taught me much.

Ricky is taking on most of the refurb work coming to me at this time, until I get caught up on a serious backlog, that Lane mentioned. Thankyou to those who have mentioned me and have faith in me. The folks on my backlog, thankyou for your continued patience through tough, trying times, we are closing in on getting everybody wrapped up and done soon. My apologies again, for delay, it is never our intention to hurt anyone.

Kristen, your beautiful guitar will be in the best hands with Ricky.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2013 7:12 am    

Thanks James and ya'll for the vote of confidence over here in "my camp"..ha..
Hopefully one day "ALL SHO~BUDS" will be refurbed and good to go..
Ricky
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2013 2:01 am    

Ricky,

About the the time you finish the last Sho-Bud on the planet that needs a refurb, the first one will be due again. Lets hope you live long enough to do it, and I live long enough to see the pics here on the forum!

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:29 am    

I'd certainly suggest Ricky Davis. Did a great job on mine a couple of years ago. Knows what he is doing and very patient when dealing with my questions...Smile
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 11:35 am    

Quote:
Ricky,

About the the time you finish the last Sho-Bud on the planet that needs a refurb, the first one will be due again. Lets hope you live long enough to do it, and I live long enough to see the pics here on the forum!

Good point Douglas..ha..
Thanks Tim and ya'll for the kind supportive words. Although every single person mentioned here doing refurbs are absolutely brilliant; finding one of us with the TIME, is the hard part..ha.
ricky
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2013 12:21 pm    

Another vote for Ricky D... Also Kristen I see you're in Orlando. There's a fellow by the name of Leon Roberts in Tallahassee who did some beautiful ShoBud restoration work for Doug Jernigan a while ago. I haven't heard from him in awhile or seen any posts lately. Last I knew he was retired from the actual machining/restoration end of things but if he's still around I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some advice. Try a search by author on the Forum and maybe there's still a valid e-mail/phone on a post.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 11:29 am    

A pic of Ricky's fine work. Guitar came to me as a 3 and 1. How many now?

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 14 Aug 2013 11:50 am    

Quote:
A pic of Ricky's fine work. Guitar came to me as a 3 and 1. How many now?

3 and 1 too many? Laughing Laughing

Very pretty. Whoa!