| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fox 112 mods
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 7:18 am    

Can any one that has had the Ken Fox mod on their Peavey 112 tell me what it does for the amp? Thanks..
Brandon Schafer

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 1:59 pm    

I can't speak for the Peavey 112, but I can speak for the Nashville 1000. I recently bought mine second hand to replace my Session 500 as my gigging amp. I was never dissatisfied with my Session 500's tone, but couldn't stand the weight.

Now, I bought my Nashville 1000 with the Fox chips installed, so I really do not know what it sounded like before hand. But, I can guarantee that my Nashville 1000 which many folks seem to characterize as too sterile, sounds better than my Session 500 to me. My Session 500 also was recently "tuned up" by an amp tech, so I wasn't comparing it to a bad sounding Session 500.

Sorry I can't offer a direct answer to your question. But, I can say that if my Nashville 1000 sounds as good as it does, I believe that the Fox chips have got to have something good to do with it.
Darrell Owens

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 6:34 pm     112 Mod

The 112 Mod completely changed my 112. Enhanced the tone so much, I was very satisfied.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 12:28 pm    

We have sold well over 2000 of the new chips (that's around 400 or more amp kits). Prior to the new chip we are selling we sold around 3000 of the OPA2604AP as well,(that was the same chip in the Peavey kits at that time).

Rarely do we get someone not pleased with the chip change out.
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 2:42 pm     112 mods

Thanks guys,nothing but good reports about the chips
Think I'll go for a set, thanks again..
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2013 8:56 am    

The chips really clean up the overall sound from top to bottom. Now try a PV 1203-4 speaker you will be blown away by the sound.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533
Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 9:58 am     112

Eddie, what hits the ear is different with every one. I know I liked the sound of my 112 after the new chips.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2013 10:09 am    

The chips are the audio preamp chips. Much like the small tubes do in a tube amp. Each opamp is dual amplifier, functioning much like a 12AX7 dual triode in a tube amp. Basically you can change different brands of tubes to suit your taste. The chip change is much like that.

The standard chips use standard bipolar transistors in them and the Burr Brown chip use FET (field effect transistors). An FET is know to operate much like a tube. You will find FET transistors in the FET 500 by Evans, Mosvalve amps and others. FET transistors will produce even ordered harmonics if distorted as opposed to odd order harmonics produced if a bipolar transistor is distorted.
Richard Jundt

Puyallup, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 1:57 pm     NV 112 Mods

Ken, I read in another post, you said the newer NV 112
did not have the sockets for the chips ?
So how new ?
I have a July 2010 NV 112.
Just asking before I pull the chassis.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 2:20 pm    

Ken Fox wrote:
Basically you can change different brands of tubes to suit your taste. The chip change is much like that.

The standard chips use standard bipolar transistors in them and the Burr Brown chip use FET (field effect transistors). An FET is know to operate much like a tube. You will find FET transistors in the FET 500 by Evans, Mosvalve amps and others. FET transistors will produce even ordered harmonics if distorted as opposed to odd order harmonics produced if a bipolar transistor is distorted.

If this is the case then changing the op-amp chips would be expected to make a greater difference than changing different brands of the same tube type.
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 4:01 pm    

I never stated the new amps did not have sockets, I have seen only 1 instance of that. I just warned people to check first before ordering their mod kits.

The chips do make quite a difference in the amps response and tone. The mod has been well received and talked about countless times on the Forum.

Thanks to all who have installed mods. We plan to keep that part of our business still going. I have however retired from all amp repair and amp building.
Richard Jundt

Puyallup, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 5:03 pm     NV 112 Mods

Thank you Ken, I stand corrected.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2013 7:48 pm    

Another Fox chip fan here. Very Happy