| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingerpicks and techniques thereof....
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 10:09 am    

I have been a guitarist for 25+ years, and have just recently taken up playing non-pedal steel a few months ago. I prefer to use a small heavy mandolin pick (some call 'em jazz picks) when playing my guitars. Because I have begun to incorporate the Stringmaster into our gigs, and like to add steel solos in the middle of tunes (while still wearing my guitar), I have opted to use the Jr. Brown technique of holding a flatpick between thumb and index finger, and putting the steel finger picks on my middle/ring fingers. I would like to learn to use the traditional thumbpick with index/middle fingerpicks for the steel, but I do not like it for guitar, and I want to be able to jump back and forth within a tune.

Does anyone else use the flatpick with middle/ring fingerpicks setup? Any tips you can give me? I know some will say, just bite the bullet, use the thumb/index/middle setup for both guitar and steel, and forget about it, but I'm hard-headed, and set in my ways. Plus, there are just some things I can do with a flatpick that I can't otherwise.

Thanks!
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E11, C6/A7)
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2000 1:35 pm    

Todd, do you know of Junior Brown?

If not, he plays an instrument he calls the git-steel, a physical marriage of a 6 string fretted guitar and a lapsteel.

He switches back and forth on the fly. I've seen him live(not close up) and I'm pretty sure he uses a flatpick plus at least 1 fingerpick. He also sings & accompanies himself with solos and fills on each guitar.

If you get a chance to see or hear him (he's got a lot of CD's out in the Country genre), jump at it - he's really good. Unfortunately, he's not a forum participant.

Hope this helps, Bob
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 5:44 am    

Hi Bob -- actually, yes, I'm quite familiar with Jr. Brown. I have four of his CD's, and have been a big fan of his since 1994.

Yes, he uses a flatpick with two fingerpicks, and I have the Guitar Player issue from a few years ago when he was on the cover. I've been working on it. Doing banjo rolls are a lot easier the normal way (with thumbpick), but I really like flatpick with guitar. I think if I just keep practicing it this way, my ring finger will get stronger, and I'll eventually get it up to speed.

Thanks!
TJW

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E11, C6/A7)
Bob Kagy

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2000 10:14 am    

Todd, good, glad you're familiar with Jr Brown; I never know if I'm telling somebody something they already know.

Can you do crossover picking using the flatpick & middle, ring? A lot of that is done on steel with the thumbpick & 1st, 2nd (and even 3rd). It seems essential in the long run IMO. You sound pretty accomplished so that's probably easily within your reach.

I don't blame you for sticking with the flatpick; you can probably get some great sounds out of the steel with it.
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2000 9:17 pm    

Alvino Rey used to switch back and forth between his guitar and steel and used a flat pick on the steel. He sounded good to me with it......al
Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2000 3:58 am    

You might want to try a Herco thumb pick. It's about the only one I can stand. Made in the shape of a guitar pick but has the thumb wrap attached to it. Same size as a regular guitar pick. When playing guitar you can stick your first finger on it and it feels like you're holding a regular guitar pick. Thickness is the equivalent of a heavy guitar pick. Hope that might help.