| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hank Corwin
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 7:22 am    

Hank passed away last night. Prayers for Barbie and for Hank to rest in peace. Arrangements not yet made, will post as soon as I know details. This is such sad news. He was a REAL JEWEL in our music world.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 7:54 am     Hc

Rest in peace buddy. Prayers going out to the family. Thanks Bill.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 8:08 am    

RIP Hank. Great guy and a great talent.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 8:24 am    

I'm deeply saddened by this news...I've just informed some of his friends...
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 8:51 am    

Oh no! Hank was a friend and mentor when I was in Nashville. I "picked his brains" every chance I got.

When he got his Blue D-10 PP Emmons with 12 string (closer) string spacing, Hank brought it to the store (Little Roy Wiggin's Music City music store) and set it up. He said he had to do a recording session and asked me to play it while he was gone and help break it it.

Condolences to the family.
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 9:40 am    

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 1:29 pm    

so sorry to hear this. prayers for hank & barbie.
what a loss...........
bruce & lynn

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 2:55 pm    

Hank Corwin was a member of the troupe that toured Russia - in a cultural opening with the Soviet Union - by the Nashville folks and the Grande Ole Opry.

I know Hank was proud of that. And thankful for what we had here in this country. He told me so.

I had the privilege to sit between Hank and Smiley Roberts at Reel Country on occasion.

Not only was Hank an excellent player, he had great theoretical musical knowledge as well.

My condolences to his family.

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 4:27 pm    

So sorry to hear this. Hank was a great player and a good friend.
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 4:33 pm    

Hank was also one of the funniest men who ever lived...Rest in Peace,Hank.
Cal Sharp

Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 4:39 pm    

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 4:58 pm    

Man,I am TOTALLY sorry to hear this!! Hank was the one that talked me into moving to Nashville,back in 1968. I used to,jokingly,tell people that,because of that,I was gonna kick his butt,if I ever saw him again. He,also,got me my first steel-playing job w/ Jim Ed Brown,when I got here. Hank wasn't a "speed-merchant" but he could play more "jazz" on the E9th neck than some guys could play on the C6th neck. I remember,one Saturday night,I was backstage at the Opry,between shows,& he was gettin' ready to go on w/ Porter Wagoner. We were talkin' & he was "doodlin' " on the E9th neck. I said,"Man,where are you finding all those chords??" He said,"They're all there man. Ya just gotta know where to find 'em!" I lost touch w/ him when he moved away from Tn.,but I'll always keep him in my memory as one of my heroes & dear friend. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 5:03 pm     Hank

I am so sorry to hear the Hank has passed away. He was very knowledgeable of music theory and that reflected in most of his playing. Hank played the rhythm guitar on my CD Keepin' It Country. He also played the ending to Misty and complmented the tune by adding some vamps to the tune. He will be sadly missed! Scotty
J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 5:12 pm     Hank

So sorry to hear the news Bill. Hank rest in peace my friend and my prayers go out to the family.Such a loss to the steel community.
Richard Bass

Sabang Beach, Philippines
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 5:56 pm    

This is so sad, Hank was for sure one of the good guys. We hung around together for many years, he was also my roomie when he worked with Faron. RIP. Prayers for Barbie and family.

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 5:57 pm     Hank Corwin

Yes, this is truly another sad day in our steel guitar world. We have lost one of the very best and Hank will be realy missed.
Lee Holeman gave me a call this evening. He asked me to express his condolences to Barbie and all in their family. Lee and Hank worked together years ago in New York. Lee sends his regards to Barbie.
I talked with Barbie this afternoon. Hank expressed a desire to be cremated and there will be no funeral arrangements for a while. Barbie is doing OK and I want to thank Corky Tittle for being a very big help and assistant to Barbie in this time of need. A year ago here in Gulfport, Hank made a supreme effort to appear on our steel show. Ronnie Miley came down from Nashville to play a dual steel set with him. It is a delight to see how our steel guitar friends are genuine witn their friendship when others are in need etc.
Hank's ability has been noted by the very best players and fans everywhere he has appeared. During one his sets on our stage here in Gulfport, a few years ago he was playing a single ten very basic E9 ten string, 3 pedal, 4 knee levers steel. Pee Wee Whitewing was in the audience. When Hank played "Over the Rainbow", Pee Wee had to check out Hank's steel tuning and was in awe that it was not a C6 tuning. Heard Hank tell Pee Wee that all chords of made up of a triad etc, and no matter what tuning you use, if you know where the chords are, you can play them anyway you desire. I was honored to have introduced Pee Wee to Hank and vice versa. Especially since Pee Wee was the main reason Hank Corwin wanted to play steel after hearing the Hank Thompson band in New York many, many years ago. I have been so proud of this association that developed between Hank Corwin and Pee Wee Whitewing and have that happen in my home town of Gulfport, Mississippi has been a big event in my music life with our beloved steel guitars. Hank, you will certainely be missed by all , and especially me. Hank had previously given me his cherished all metal Dobro that he used on many recordings there in Nashville when he was doing a lot of studio work. I only wish it could still be played by this MASTER that we lost this week. RIP my dear friend.

Last edited by Bill Stafford on 27 Mar 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
JERRY THURMOND

sullivan mo u.s.a.
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 6:46 pm    

Hank was a good guy, I really liked his playing, he will be missed.
Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 7:13 pm    

Rest in peace dear friend. Sadly, you will be missed "maestro". Our condolences to Barbie and family.
...Roy and Barbara
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 7:15 pm     I will miss my friend!

Bill......I'm very saddened by this news. Hank and I were very close friends for years, and I had many opportunities throughout my years in Nashville to have been with Hank on numerous occasions and learn from the "Master" steel guitarist that he was. We did several "Opry" shows together and this was during my early years of playing the steel guitar. I will always cherish his memory and everything that I learned from him. May my friend RIP, and show those that have passed before him...how it's really done. I will always love and appreciate this great master musician. HAL
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2013 8:51 pm     Hank Corwin

Man, that is tough to hear,Hank was a master and fun to be around ,i will always have fond memories of him with Jim Ed playing the club i worked at in Dallas in the 70's and here in Ar when his sho-bud amp stopped working during a taping of Nashville on the road and i let him use mine . its getting harder and harder to play steel anymore with all our dear friends and insperation to play keep leaving us.i know he is in a better place but still hurts . God Grant you a peaceful rest my friend . will miss you. Rudy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 4:11 am     Hank Corwin

There are no services planned in the immediate future for Hank. You may sign the register at www.bradford-okeefe.com
Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 7:52 am    

I am so sorry to learn of this passing....Hank was indeed a great player and an even better man. Our condolences to the family.

Billy and Meriul Easton
Rose Sinclair

Austin, TX, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 8:10 am     Hank Corwin

I had the honor to hear Hank play and meet him and Barbie at the 2011 Deep South Steel Guitar show in Gulfport, MS put on by Bill Stafford. Both he and Barbie were very friendly. He played a beautiful set of twin pedal steel tunes with Ronnie Miley. I hung out with him and Pee Wee Whitewing outside in the parking lot, and listened while Hank told Pee Wee how he heard Pee Wee play with the Hank Thompson band at a show in New Jersey, how he loved the band's arrangements, and how it changed his life and he moved to Nashville. Here's a photo of Hank and Ronnie playing that twin steel set. My condolences to Barbie.

Robert L Brown

Brownsville, TX USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 11:11 am    

A good friend and fellow steel player down here in the Rio Grande Valley informed me that he is having some difficulty getting on the forum and posting anything. He asked me to relay a message regarding Hank Corwin. My friend here is Lee Holeman. Lee met Hank when Hank was still in High School and subsequently hired him to play in his band. Lee tells me that Hank was like a son to him. They played together for quite some time and had quite a friendship both personally and professionally. Lee wants everyone, to know that he is greatly saddened to know that Hank is gone, and he says that he prays for Hank's family. Also, if anyone is trying or has tried to contact Lee Holeman, you may call him at 956-592-9359. He would love to hear from you.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2013 11:58 am    

I never actually met Hank, but I got to see him several times with Porter at the Opry when I used to get to Nashville a lot. He always looked like he was having such a good time playing.

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I used to get a charge out of watching Hank Corwin play on the TV GOO with Porter. Always had a big smile on his face and seemed to be really enjoying himself.

One night, Hank and Weldon played twin steels on an instrumental version of Making Believe. What a treat

Condolences to Hank's family and close friends.