| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  NEW Process for Making Fretboards
Dennis Brooker

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 11:23 am    

I used to offer printed fretboards on this forum some years ago - Due to health reasons I had to close my business and have sold all the equipment to print fretboards - I traded for a lap steel that needed a new fretboard and developed the following NEW process - It may not appeal to all but some might make use of it - Again due to health reasons I will try and check back to answer any questions or anyone is welcome to email me direct at dbrooker1(AT)windstream.net - I'm doing this in return for great amount of help I have recieved from members over the years and I can no longer be a reliable source for much of anything - I will mention I do have on hand large sheets of veneer that I can cut into different widths of 24" in length such as 3", 4", etc. - Contact me direct by my email for pricing - I have paper backed veneers of fancy birdseye and curly maple, walnut, cherry and what I call bloodwood which a deep dark redish brown - Follows are the instructions - I also have them available in a Word doc. and a PDF -

I have developed a new process to make fretboards. The instructions are as follows. The big "secret" of this whole process is the water or acrylic based varnish. If you use any other type of varnish the chemicals in it will eventually eat away at the acrylic based adhesive on the back of the pinstripe tape and or sign vinyl!!

Materials needed -

Wood veneer of your choosing with a paper backing
Water or Acrylic based varnish and brushes - MUST BE Water or Acrylic based!!!
Fretboard Calculator - There are many on the web
1/8" or similar pinstripe tape of your choosing of size and color
Sign vinyl, the kind with an adhesive backing of your choice of color available at most sign shops or small pieces are available on the web at sign supply businesses.
A hole or similar craft punch for fret markers - diamonds, triangles, etc.
A clean flat surface
A square - small or large - The transparent kind used by quilt makers is the best
Utility knife, craft knife or rotary cutter

Step 1 - Decide on the length and width of the finished fretboard and cut a piece of veneer about 1" oversized in width and length.

Step 2 - Give the veneer several coats of the varnish sanding to a smooth surface between coats.

Step 3 - Take a pencil and on the edge of the veneer mark the appropriate fret spacing.

Step 4 - Cut a piece of the pinstripe tape and remove the backing and carefully line it up with the pencil marks and carefully lay down the tape making sure it is properly placed, straight and square. Continue this process until all are in place.

Step 5 - Find the center and use whatever you have decided to use for fret markers and remove the back and carefully place them as desired.

Step 6 - Now that you have an over sized fretboard with everything in place you can trim it to the finished size you need even if it is tapered. It's best to apply the fretboard to a backing material before you trim it to a final size.

Step 7 - By using a paper backed veneer you can now use most any appropriate type of glue to glue it to a substrate for support or directly to the guitar.

I hope this is of some help to some people - You can also use double-faced adhesive film to apply to paperbacked veneer to make the contrasting fret lines and markers as well - there are sources on the web so do a search - I'll do my best to answer any questions - The photo shown is one I made using fancy bridseye maple with black lines and markers and is slightly tapered. Please mention this to the people on the Steel only forum as I didn't want to post it twice. Best regards - Dennis Brooker
Larry Phleger

DuBois, PA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2013 3:48 pm    

Thanks Dennis. This post is very helpful. I once used pin stripe tape to refurbish an Emmons Fretboard. It was durable and lasted for years, What width tape did you use on the fretboard on this post? Smile Smile