Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 8:38 am    

Hi, nice playing on a frypan.
Dennis

http://youtu.be/SIeWcSPbn6o

Last edited by Dennis Smith on 13 Mar 2013 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 10:23 am    

Bobby does a lot of improvising on this video. But anything Bobby does sounds good. Slight typo in the title: It should be Pua Mana rather than Pua Mama.

Bobby's talent has been heard and appreciated more and more by many outside of Hawaii because he has traveled with his fry pan and Rick Backelite to Japan and various places across the Mainland, USA.

Bobby at the Waynefest- Blue Ridge Mountain Music Center

Aloha, Smile
Don
Dennis Smith

Covington, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 11:39 am    

Hi Don thanks I change it. Sometimes typo's are invisable till someone points it out. I love the tone he gets on that frypan. Would love to see him live.
Dennis

Last edited by Dennis Smith on 13 Mar 2013 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 2:38 pm    

Actually it's spelled as one word "Puamana"

http://www.huapala.org/Pua/Pua_Mana.html
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 7:18 pm    

Thats a very nice video, and as always, Bobby makes a very Hawaiian job of it. I believe Irmgard wrote the song in the 1930s inspired by her island home. I play this often in a medley with Moana Chimes. Puamana was appropriated for the song Seabreeze which includes a middle eight consisting 5-1-2-5/5+ which I think works well.

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2013 9:05 pm    

Quote:

It actually can be either Puamana or Pua Mana. It depends on the usage. Hawaiians take the privilege also of writing it either way.

For instance on huapula, the title is listed as Puamana, but in the verse it is separated:

Pua Mana
Ku`u home i Lahaina
Me nâ pua `ala onaona
Ku`u home i aloha `ia

Pua is the word for flower so in most songs with pua, it is separated. For example: Pua Carnation,
Pua Rose, etc.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Norman Markowitz

Santa Cruz, California
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 5:27 am    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
Quote:

It actually can be either Puamana or Pua Mana. It depends on the usage. Hawaiians take the privilege also of writing it either way.

For instance on huapula, the title is listed as Puamana, but in the verse it is separated:

Pua Mana
Ku`u home i Lahaina
Me nâ pua `ala onaona
Ku`u home i aloha `ia

Pua is the word for flower so in most songs with pua, it is separated. For example: Pua Carnation,
Pua Rose, etc.

Aloha, Smile
Don

Aloha Don,

Not to belabor a point of Hawaiian language, especially on a steel guitar forum but in this case the intent on the songwriter must be considered.

You are very correct when you say that the word "pua" in Hawaiian means flower, and that to describe a certain flower such as a carnation the two words are separated as in "Pua Carnation". But in this case the word "Puamana" is not referring to a flower. It's about the Farden family home in Lahaina, Maui.

www.hawaiimusicmuseum.org/honorees/1998/aluli.html

Since I know you have seen your share of hula over the years, I'm sure that you know that the hula motion that represents a flower is an upturned hand with the fingers held together to represent a flower blossom.

I had the wonderful honor of having breakfast at the home of Mihana Souza, one of Auntie Irmgard's daughters. Music was being played and hula was being danced. At one point "Puamana" was played and Mihana with tears running down her cheeks did a hula to the song. I was very keen to see how she translated the word "puamana" in hula motion. It was not as I described above to represent a flower. Instead it was another gesture being used, to represent a place, Puamana , their family home. Which sadly no longer exists.

In addition to all this Auntie Irmgard, who wrote the music to the song "Puamana" had a group with her daughters called "Puamana". One of their albums called "Have A Smile" has the song "Puamana" on it and it is listed as such.

http://www.hakushouse.com/images/TF99/DSC08159.JPG

I think in this case in order to honor the intent of the song writers and the Farden family as a whole the song should be referred to as "Puamana".
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2013 6:31 pm    

Quote:
I think in this case in order to honor the intent of the song writers and the Farden family as a whole the song should be referred to as "Puamana".

Norm, I fully agree with you here.
And thank you for sharing your personal experience with the song. It is meaningful!

Aloha, Smile
Don