| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bigsby Scale Length
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 8:40 am    

Can any one tell me what scale lengths were featured on the the Bigsby lap and console steels? Also what is being used on the Clinesmiths?

I was looking at some photos of Joaquin Murphey playing a double neck Bigsby lap and noticed that there appeared to be individual adjustable saddles for each string. Just curious - this seemed to be abandoned on later guitars and not featured by other makers of the day; does anyone have any thoughts about this? Wouldn't this feature help adjust the intonation for when playing with horns? I find it is sometimes necessary to tunes my thirds and sixths a little flat and the root and fifth a little sharp.

Gary Meixner
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 9:09 am     Re: Bigsby Scale Length

Gary Meixner wrote:
Can any one tell me what scale lengths were featured on the the Bigsby lap and console steels? Also what is being used on the Clinesmiths?

I was looking at some photos of Joaquin Murphey playing a double neck Bigsby lap and noticed that there appeared to be individual adjustable saddles for each string. Just curious - this seemed to be abandoned on later guitars and not featured by other makers of the day; does anyone have any thoughts about this? Wouldn't this feature help adjust the intonation for when playing with horns? I find it is sometimes necessary to tunes my thirds and sixths a little flat and the root and fifth a little sharp.

Gary Meixner

Gary, that is a really interesting observation. I have the Bigsby book (my favorite book, bar none), and there's a large feature on Joaquin's steels. None of the existing ones photographed for the book have adjustable saddles - but here's the one he played in "King of Western Swing":

Hard to tell from the video though - I'm thinking it's a compensated bridge that might seem as if it's divided into individual saddles because of the strings passing over it?...
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 10:35 am    

Mike,

Thanks for the info. I think you are probably right that it is the strings passing over the saddle (s) making it look as if they are seperate. From what you know, was it common to have a compensated saddle such as the one pictured? And as per my first question do you know what scale lengths were used? I did not know there was a Bigsby Book! I will have to find a copy.

Thank you,

Gary Meixner
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 10:47 am    

All the steels pictured in the book with the exception of the screenshot from "King of Western Swing" seem to have straight saddles, and the "Spanish" solid-body guitars all have compensated. I think it was a one-off; there is a big photo of a D-8 lap steel autographed by Joaquin (which if memory serves is owned by a Forum member) and it has straight saddles.

There are members here who I believe know the Bigsby story inside out, hope they can clarify. I don't know scale lengths and I don't know that they're mentioned in the book. You can get it on Amazon and it's not even pricey considering the size and fantastic color photos: http://www.amazon.com/Story-Paul-Bigsby-Electric-Solidbody/dp/0615243045/
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 11:05 am    

Mike,

Thanks again. After my last post I went directly to Amazon and purchased the book. I will wait to hear what others have to say. An interesting topic for sure.

Best to you,

Gary Meixner
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 11:15 am    

You're welcome Gary. Here's something else I think you'll enjoy, by the great Guitar Geek himself, Deke Dickerson: http://bigsbyfiles.blogspot.com/
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 4:51 pm     BIGSBY Guitar site...........

A great BIG THANKS for the LINK to the Bigsby Guitar site. I've spent more than an hour reviewing each and every page.

It was nice to see KEITH HOLTER's wonderful Bigsby. I played my Quad BIGSBY Steel guitar many a night along side Keith throughout the Pacific Northwest. His guitar had that SPECIAL Bigsby sound and when the two guitars engaged in twin guitar instrumentals there was nothing like it.

Keith played a great style, somewhat similar to that of Grady Martins which in itself, made playing an exciting event for me.
Mike Anderson

British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2013 7:21 pm    

Ray, that body design is my favorite among the Bigsby electric guitars. Glad you're enjoying the site. Deke is clearly one of those truly obsessed guys, which I can relate to. Smile
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 5:32 pm    

I just measured the scale on my 1949 Bigsby T-8. 24.5 inches, +/-

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 6:08 pm    

Quote:
…what is being used on the Clinesmiths?

edit: see below. Cool

Last edited by Doug Beaumier on 11 Mar 2013 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2013 7:16 pm    

The lap steels which I refer to as the "Joaquin" model are 24 7/8.
All other Clinesmith steel guitars are 24.5.
As far as Bigsby's go, most are 24.5 with the exception of late 40's and early 50's guitars that were 25 inch scale. Herb's 49' was "modernized" with a 24.5 inch scale Bigsby fretboard at some time in it's life. Another exception is the D-8 lap like Joaquins' that was a 24 7/8.
Todd
Gary Meixner

New York, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2013 5:51 am    

Hey All,

Thank you for your response, it helps a lot.

Gary Meixner