| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strobo rack or Strobo flip
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 1:28 pm    

Out of curiosity only.
What,if any, are the advantages of the Peterson Strobo rack over the Strobo flip?
I think both units do exaclly the same thing with the same accuracy and each has a facility to be constantly connected during play time.I know the 'Flip is discontinued but I guess a new model will soon appear.The rack is more than twice the price of a 'flip.
I already own a Strobo flip and love it.
Billy
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 3:17 pm    

Flips can add tone coloration or distortion when in line and the screen is much larger and easier to see on a Rack.
The Flip I use a Jerry Rig switch.
I have both and am happy with both.
The rack is a bit of a luxury but I wanted one for my rack amp.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2012 5:48 pm    

Hi Billy I have the Flip too, but I also have 2 Stroboracks and love them ... I almost always play through a rack so it goes without saying that this is the ideal tuner for me. As well as the bigger and better display there are the added features of being able to have it constantly in-line without any tone altering/distortion issues -it's totally silent. You can also programme up a bank of pre-sets in a particular order for instant recall -- eg: I have E9th, C6th, Dobro, Lap steel and guitar all set up in a bank as they are the most common settings I use, and can recall them instantly ... You can also programme up a wee message on the screen, in your case it would be something like "I love Annie" :-} ... or "give us a kiss ya big Jessie" .... :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2012 2:09 am    

Aye ! Tis that Zumbustin' Billy again ?
i use the StroboRack over the Flip since i use a rack
Paddy pretty well explains it Mister Murdoch
as for the wee message, it's handy if you want independence from the Crown Winking
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 2:47 pm    

Billy I'm sure Sue would give you a good deal on one at the Dallas show mate -- ! I'll put in a good word for ya Very Happy
Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 2:54 pm    

Thanks for the replies My friends.
I really was being curious since the 'Flip seems to do the same job and since it clips on the leg of the guitar it can be used in the same way as the rackmount.
I know the 'Flip is being replaced because of non availability of one of the chips does this mean the same for the Racmount?
Billy
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2012 3:11 pm    

Another thing I forgot to mention is sometimes the wall wart on the flip can cause a hum..

I would like to see the new one
Out of curiosity only.
Larry Hamilton

Amarillo,Tx
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2012 1:42 pm    

This can be answered by anyone but Paddy has a rack similar to mine. When I come out of the back of the Revelation tuner jack to input of Stroborack, where to I go from The Strobo out jack. I have read and read the manual but I still can't get it to work even when I plug into the front of the Strobo. I just know it is something simple. When I have more time tomorrow, if no help comes along, I may have to call Peterson. They helped me once, nice folks.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2012 5:58 pm    

Quote:
Another thing I forgot to mention is sometimes the wall wart on the flip can cause a hum.

Then don't use it. I run mine off of batteries and they last a long, long time. I also only connect it to my guitar when I am actually tuning. I find no need to have it in line all the time.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 3:37 pm    

Larry glad you got that "mute" button sorted mate Very Happy
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2012 4:14 am    

I have two Stroboracks for my rack setups. They work great and there's no setup to them for every gig. Plus, and this is important, there's no tone coloration, hum, or distortion problems with them at all. The screen is big and easy to read.

I also have a StroboFlip that I use when I don't take a rack to a gig. I do have to plug and unplug it when tuning. That's really not that big of a hassle because my steels pretty much hold their pitch very well. So, I find myself checking my tuning on breaks only.

I also have a Peterson StroboStomp that I found for $50 at a music store. It works great and has all the sweetened tunings in it just like its brothers. But I really don't use it except at home in the practice room.

Finally, sigh, I have a Peterson clip-on tuner for 6-strings. It's way better than any other clip-on tuner because of its < 1/10 % accuracy. Way better. I love it.

I guess you could say I'm a Peterson tuner fan.
Jeff Valentine

Colorado Springs, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2012 7:56 pm    

The stroboflip tuner isn't a true bypass tuner unless it's modified. That's probably where the tone alteration comes from. The stroborack is, which is why it's okay to have it in the chain. The flip tuner is great, just don't use it in the chain. The folks at Peterson can easily do a modification on the flip tuner to make it a true bypass. I'm not sure how they do it, but they can. If you catch them at the Dallas show just ask them.

-Jeff