| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A lot of help needed
Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2002 3:22 pm    

I am thinking of turning my e9 msa into a c6 to see if I can learn this neck without buying one. I have 3 pedals & 4 knee's. How would you suggest I set it up to make it most functionable! I have a nice Carter e9 So this Msa is just sitting here with not much resale value at the moment. I can't really afford to buy a d10 to play in my basement to learn on.
Thanks in advance

Jim

------------------
JIM
"Carter SD10" "73" MSA S10, "74" LTD & NASHVILLE 400, Profex II "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz

[This message was edited by Jim Whitaker on 16 November 2002 at 10:47 PM.]

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2002 3:49 pm    

It would be infinitely easier to setup your Carter for the 6th tuning then the MSA- primarily due to the ease of changes on the Carter relative to the older MSA's~~IMHO-
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2002 4:18 pm    

You might set up the 3 pedals like the 5,6 and 7 pedals on 'trad' C6. RKR lowers 3rd string C ->B (or lowers both A's to Ab), maybe RKL raises A's->Bb, LKR lowers E's to Eb and LKL raises C's->C#. I usually set up my pedals like 7,5,6 and with this setup I can do an entire night of swing.

Pedal 5 and LKL make a VI maj chord, just like pedal A and LKL (E's->F) on the E9. LKR and RKL make a minor 7 chord, so up two frets and it's a II-7, release LKR and it's V chord, very convenient....

[This message was edited by chas smith on 16 November 2002 at 04:26 PM.]

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2002 7:08 pm    

If we assume that you want as much basic C6 capability as possible, then you can do very well. As Chas said, put the traditional C6 floor pedals 5,6,7 on the E9 floor pedals A,B,C. I think you should keep pedal 8 (boo-wah) which, while not as important as 5,6,7, is still considered by most players as a basic C6 pedal. So put that on RKR. Leave out the traditional floor pedal 4. It is not needed as much as the other floor pedals or the knee levers. On RKL, put the 3rd string lower C -> B, where it is usually found. On LKL, put 4th string raise A -> Bb. I don't do parallel pulls, so I don't pull the 8th string. Some do, and some don't, so it's a matter of style. On LKR, you have a choice of raising string 3 from C -> C# or lowering string 4 from A -> Ab. Do the C# pull if you like to play Western swing alot. Do the Ab pull if you like to play traditional jazz a lot. If you pull the 4th string, the 8th is optional (see above).
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2002 5:23 am    

Jeff,
Would the pedal and knee levers be 'mirrored' if a E9 Day set-up player tried C6?
Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2002 6:59 am    

I did this to a old Sho-Bud before I ordered my Williams Crossover.This allowed me to sit in the approx location of the new guitar.
I don't know anything about the C6th but with the help of a friend here is what we did.
I put pedal 8 (BooWah) as the A pedal
Next pedal 5 & 6,reason for this I had been playing a universal and alot of them put 8 then 5 as it helps keep from 2 footing.
I only had 2 knees so I put pedal 7 on RKL and the standard C6th knee lever on RKR.
We chose to put pedal 7 on the knee lever because you would never use it with the standard knee lever, but the rest of the pedals need to be able to be used with the standard knee lever.
This gave me a basic C6th setup to where I could start learning.Since you have more knee levers you can get pedal 4 (the least used but still a nice pedal).I hope this helps as it worked for me.Scott
Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2002 3:32 pm    

Quote:
Would the pedal and knee levers be 'mirrored' if a E9 Day set-up player tried C6?

Richard, I never heard of anyone who played Jimmy Day style E9 reverse their C6 floor pedals, so I wouldn't recommend it.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2002 12:58 pm    

Jeff,
My reasoning is that, as a Day setup player, my LKL lowers the 4th, and my LKR raise the 4th. As I am used to that, I think it would be better for me to have a similar set-up on C6. With this in mind, how would you recommend the three pedals be set up?
Thanks, Richard Burton.