| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 112 Popping Noise
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2012 4:43 pm    

My Nashville 112 amp is making a popping noise. When I turn the mid knob close to the 12 o'clock position the amp would pop. Now if I move it at all it will pop. I recently had it cleaned but feel like I need a part changed on it. Anyone with advice who knows what the problem is, I would appreciate your help.
Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2012 5:47 pm     Re: Nashville 112 Popping Noise

Paul King wrote:
My Nashville 112 amp is making a popping noise. When I turn the mid knob close to the 12 o'clock position the amp would pop. Now if I move it at all it will pop. I recently had it cleaned but feel like I need a part changed on it. Anyone with advice who knows what the problem is, I would appreciate your help.

Pots in DC-coupled circuits have DC on them... moving them causes noise. The quieter the pot track, the less noise it will make... but there will most likely always be some noise.

You can have the pot replaced... Peavey might even send you one for free. The PN is 50KVBV, and is VR5 on this schematic:

http://music-electronics-forum.com/attachments/15923d1320237298-nashville_112.pdf

... if we are indeed talking about the mid, and not the shift, pot. Good luck.

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 2:27 am    

Thanks Stephen. It definitely is the mid control and not the shift.
Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 7:52 am    

I had a used Nash-112 traded into my shop that was doing that. Removed the knob, sprayed contact cleaner into the pot/stem area, worked the stem back and forth, the problem vanished. Still working good after two years.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2012 9:20 am    

Duane, I did try and clean the pot but to no avail. I did order one this morning from Peavey. It nearly broke me with the cost a little over $2. In fact I had to order a knob as well to meet the minimum $5 order.
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2012 7:25 pm    

I second Duane. This worked well for me too. Try this before attempting the daunting task of pot replacement on the PCB. and if you don't know how to solder, you will have to get goods oldere to do it so just buy a can of contact cleaner and give that a try first.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2012 9:44 am    

I have a friend who has worked in electronics and has done many amp repairs. Curtis Hogue will do the repair for me and he just happens to be the owner of Rains Steel Guitars which he bought earlier this year. Thanks guys for all of the advice. Curtis has cleaned the pot as suggested but it is getting worse therefore replacement is necessary.
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2012 8:13 pm    

This evening Curtis replaced the pot for me. The popping noise is gone for sure. He had tried cleaning it before but it just would not solve the problem. At any rate I am back in business. Thanks to all of you for the advice and concern.