| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bagget Steel guitars
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 10:00 pm    

Doug Bagget passed away a couple of years ago, after having built PSGs in his garage machine shop for twenty years. I wonder - are any other forumites familiar with his work? Mine (a U12 7/5) is one beautiful instrument - even though it is not on a par mechanically with some I have seen, it has tone to the bone. Anyway, anyone else ever played one?
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2002 10:31 pm    

Was he from Alabama?
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 9:13 am    

Yup, Reggie. Decatur, I believe. (Been so long since I visited him to pick up my horn I can't recall exactly.) But, he was a good player, a good builder, and built every part by hand (even the pickups - although I chose George L's for my guitar). He made some beautiful guitars, a lot of inlay. Mine is made of African purpleheart with aluminum necks. If I was a half decent player, I'm sure it would sound even better than it does with my clumsy effort. Trouble is - I would like to get some work done on the changer (it's like an older Emmons) and don't know where to look for help. My G# - A raises drag a little, and if I'm not really careful (and really put some "push" on that second pedal), I'll come up short. Annoying....
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 4:07 pm    

Doug never got the credit he deserved. I knew him for years.I recently acquired all the Baggett inventory that was left after his death. I will be more than happy to help anyone that has a Baggett need or part. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works.
Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2002 9:22 pm    

Thanks, Ed. E-mail coming.
Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 8:40 am    

Gil, Doug's days as a PSG builder go back much further than 25 years. He was building them in the late '50's in Birmingham before he moved to Decatur. He sold quite a few
Telecasters and Stringmasters in those days also.
Bill
RON PRESTON

Dodson, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 12:19 pm    

The ONLY one I EVER saw, was in a small town, New Albany, Ind. That was 1981, and if my memory is correct, it had 12 strings, at least 7-8 floor pedals, and like 7 knees...When I sat under it, Man, I WAS LOST. This was just about the time I was starting to play PSG. I was playing a Sho-Bud Maveric and THAT was DRIVING ME NUTS. I do remember that this axe was in MINT condition...and the owner told me that Hank Jr's steel player had owned it at one time, but, You know how rumors are, so, I am not sure if that was true or not.
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2002 3:28 pm    

Gil, Doug was a friend of mine. He worked on most of my guitars. I never owned one of his but have played many he built. Doug was a real nice guy and a very good steel guitar builder. His finishes were second to none. It is guys like Doug that will never make the Hall Of Fame but made a big contribution to the world of steel guitar.