| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Scam Alert
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 6:52 am    

I received this email today from "Todd Clinesmith" or more accurately, somebody who hacked into his email.......

"Hi,

I'm writing this with great grievance . I'm presently in Madrid,Spain with my Family for a short holiday and we're stuck...And really it was unannounced. We were attacked by four armed robbers on our way back to the hotel where we lodged.we were robbed and completely embarrassed.

All our cash,credit cards and mobile were stolen. We've reported the incident to the embassy and the Police but to my dismay they seem not bothered...their response was just too casual.My flight is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon We've got to settle our bills before We're allowed to leave....Now am freaked out....Please I need you to loan some money,I promise to refund you as soon as I'm back home.. . Please Let me know what you can do? Write me back so I can tell you how to get it to me..

Thanks."

------------------------------------------------
Todd Clinesmith
541 670 7218
todclinesmith@yahoo. com

Two things that I noticed......the phone(y) number is different by "18" instead of 81, and the phoney email is missing one "d"........I disabled the link on purpose.....

Don't fall for this........
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 7:36 am    

I got one too Howard.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:22 am    

The poor English is surely the real clue, is it not?
Jim Waldrop

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:26 am     Scam

I wonder if they can hack into all our e-mails if we have been corresponding with Todd and also if Todd knows this is going on?
Georgeboards D8 Twin Princess, Fender Custom T8, Fender Stringmaster T8, Pre-war Rickenbacher 7string bakelite, Clinesmith D8 pedal steel, Clinesmith T8 non pedal steel, Simmons Genesis PSG, Simmons D10 psg, Peavey NV 112, Fender 65Princeton Reverb, Roland Cube
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:27 am    

Oh Well This chickensh*t email hoax has been going around so long, I'm thinkin anyone dim enuff to fall for it prolly deserves the lesson they will learn from it. ...JMHO.. Confused
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:30 am    

Roger....I didn't think that the English was poor......I've seen far worse English, spelling, & grammar by people who were born & raised in this country......but the point is, someone with a good heart could fall for it.......

Last edited by HowardR on 15 Sep 2012 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:50 am    

I just got a phone call from Todd, and he says that this is a scam. He is in the USA and it is a scam.

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 8:58 am    

"I'm writing this with great grievance..." and "...really it was unannounced.." not poor English??? It's borderline-illiterate!

The fact that such writing is far from uncommon right here in the USA is, I'm afraid, quite true. It doesn't excuse it.

I tend to agree with Storm; surely these attempts at fraud have lost all credibility by now?
HowardR

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 10:36 am    

perhaps........or perhaps not....I posted on the side of caution, just in case.....
Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 11:00 am    

Smile You're probably correct in posting it ,better safe than sorry from a noob standpoint anyway. As an afterthought, the last coupla 2 years or so my Yahoo account has been hacked so much it bleeds when I open it, however my hotmail or gmail accounts have never been hacked . I'm becoming increasingly annoyed with my yahoo account to the point of closing it and redirect to my hotmail acct. See how long it takes to find it hacked..... Muttering
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 11:09 am    

Sorry, Howard - I wasn't being critical of your original post and, indeed, it never hurts to bring such things to people's attention. I suppose that a newcomer to this fraternity (or, at least, the Steel Forum) might well be deceived by them.

My observation was that it seemed consistent with those transparently phoney 'appeals for help' that apparently originate in Nigeria; poor English is their hallmark. This one seems no better to me.
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 11:43 am    

Storm is right. For noobs it is best to keep posting this stuff.
About 10 yrs ago I was a noob and got an email from eBay wanting me to update my credit card info.
It just so happened that I paid my fees via CC just two days earlier so I emailed them and asked why?
They informed me about phishing.
If I had not just paid, I would have been caught as I was totally ignorant.

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 12:50 pm    

The major clue for me was his reference to his "mobile" being stolen. Most North Americans that I have come in contact with refer to it as their "cell-phone" or simply their "cell".
William Lake

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 1:28 pm    

Also, if I am correct, in a situation like this the embassy will ship you home. That's one of the reasons they are there. You will owe them the airfare, but you will get home.

Nebraska
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 3:27 pm    

I get them all the time, telling me they have left me a million pounds, i always write back. Greeeeaaaat Let's do this!!!

Post  Posted 15 Sep 2012 4:25 pm    

No need for apology Roger......I like a lively discussion...... Laughing