| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sell, trade or keep the old one?
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:13 pm    

For years when I wanted a new or diferent guitar I would sell or trade the old one to get the new one. Now I am kicking myself in the rear for getting rid of some very special instruments. For instance: I had Curly Chalkers first Sho-Bud, a finger-tip model that was featured on the cover of Big Hits On Big Steel. I had a single neck 14 string Sho-Bud. I had a permanent Sho-Bud that once belonged to my friend Neil Flanz. That's just a couple of the Buds. I was never a big push pull fan but I did own one and played it on records with Ernest Tubb. My first Zumsteel was also used on Ernset Tubb records. Well I could go on and on, but the point is I don't sell or trade my steels anymore. I have on occasion bought and resold but that was the intent. I desire now to have a collection of steels. And when I want a new or diferent one I won't give up the ones I have anymore. What do you guys and gals think. Do your guitars have any sentimental value or are they just wood and metal to be traded and sold?

Johnny
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:21 pm    

The guitar I own at the time is always my favorite. Until something else comes along. If we break it down to wood and aluminum it is easier to say goodbye.

These days I get a kick out of new gear combinations just to see if I can get a great sound from them. I always do so it makes me wonder why I keep changing these last couple of years.

Larry Behm
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:27 pm    

Although you can go overboard sentimentalizing an old axe, I'm with you--there's a lot more there than the sum of its parts. I've never sold anything that I didn't need to sell to pay the rent or something so I can't regret doing what I had to do but I consider an instrument that I've really spent quality time with to be special--a part of me even. If fortune allows me to not need the cash, I will try real hard not to part with an axe. It's not like a car (although some people sure get connected to their wheels).
Rob van Duuren

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 2:30 pm    

they're my buddies....only when I get hungry I'll.... well, you know, life can be tough sometimes.
Usually regret selling, rob.
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 3:48 pm    

Steel guitars are kind of like steel guitar players.....as Bob Wills is quoted as saying in answer to the question "Who is the best steel player you've ever hired?"...his answer, "The one I have now"! www.genejones.com
Dan Hatfield

Columbia, Mo USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 4:06 pm    

Johnny, I traded in my "Miller" for a Zum. Sure haven't regretted that one!
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 5:09 pm    

Johnny, I've got a few regrets about letting instruments go, and at this point in my life, where financially I don't have to, I will be very reluctant to do so. But remember that at the time you had good reasons - you probably felt that you couldn't reasonably afford to keep them. And they served you well, and hopefully someone else got a good turn with them as well. I often forget just how hard it seemed back in the seventies when I was just a student to scrape together a few hundred for my first pedal steel, and to scrape together some more money yet to replace it with something I could play professionally.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 5:35 pm    

And that's part of the reason I own over 30 guitars. Each one is unique and many of them have been rebuilt or modified by myself. I have my favorites and some perform in certain situations better than others.

When my friends were investing in stocks, they wanted to know why I didn't. My standard reply was that I don't get a lot of pleasure out of paper and I don't really understand how it works. You put a thousand dollars on the table and it's not much fun, you give me a thousand dollar guitar, and I'm happy for years. Oh, and now I still have my guitars and they don't know where their money went.

As far as I'm concerned, musical instruments are the most meaningful objects in the universe and I want to be surrounded by them.
Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 7:00 pm    

I let 'em go.
If I don't play 'em, why keep 'em?
Someone else may as well learn, enjoy
and use them.
I turn the page and move on.
When I leave nothing goes with me.
Simple as that.
Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 9:21 pm    

Roy Speaks Truth!

------------------
TheEarlyDays.com

and appearing regularly...
Jimmy Crawford/Russ Hicks... and Buddy Emmons on Bass! aLotOfSpace.com

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 9:58 pm    

They are "Tools" of the Trade to me.
When I don't need or use a tool...I sell it or trade it for a tool I want to use for my Trade/Career.
I know there is someone that can use a tool I can't use.....and no reason for it to sit in the closet or on the shelf.
....and that is my segway to my ShoBud I have for sale on Buy and Sell section ASAP.
Ricky
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2002 10:27 pm    

Johnny, if you can, keep your old instruments. I sold a 1956 Fender Strat with maple neck for $60.00 in 1960. Also a 1976 L.D.G. Sho-Bud. I have regretted it ever since. Also, if I had kept all the guns I've had since I was a kid, I would have a very valueable collection right now.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 2:47 am    

Well I suppose that like everything else, it comes down to whats important to each of us. If we are in a position to hold onto items that may be important to us then we do. Johnny, I wish you had that Curly Sho-Bud back too. By the way your set with your wife was great.

tp
Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 5:32 am    

In 1968 I sold a Gibson ES 345(stereo model) that had been through the Moserite shop in Bakersfield for some neck work to Joe Edwards for 280.00.....there's one on ebay right now for 7099.99. In 1968 I had to pay the rent...I was waiting for my big break in Nashville don'tcha know....yes I regret it.
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 7:17 am    

I only had one guitar I wish I'd kept. I have others that are better guitars now. Selling my 57 Chevy for $100 in 72, trading a 56 Oldsmobile for a bike (the pedal kind) for my wife, trading an old Fender Super Reverb (black face) are things that still bother me. When my mother gave the 41 Packard to the junk man I nearly cried. My dad gave a 57 Oldmobile J2 convertible away to the junk man that belonged to my brother. That car is worth about $35,000 today or maybe more. I'm with you on this one Johnny. I'm keeping the guitars I have now.

[This message was edited by Frank Parish on 08 September 2002 at 02:31 PM.]

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 8:07 am    

That's a good question with no correct answer Johnny.

I've played 6 String since the 60s, and regret the many Gretches, Teles, Strats, etc. I sold. Often I'd buy one for a hundred or two, sell it for a $50 profit, and consider myself smart.

Since I now have a decent day job, I try to keep
my instruments, but wonder if that's the right thing to do. I have some that haven't been used for years.

But ya can't keep everything.

When I do sell something I try to justify it by putting the money toward another instrument. If I don't, the cash just vaporizes into normal expenses and the instrument is gone.

Best regards,
-j0ey-

PS Ricky, you're gonna want that Bud back someday!

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 08 September 2002 at 09:11 AM.]

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 8:23 am    

If I haven't played an instrument in over a year I don't have a problem selling it no matter what it is for the most part. Sometimes I just plain run out of money so gear that doesn't have an immediate use heads out the door.
If I had money it would be a different story.

Bob
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 9:12 am    

Joey; ha....that's a fair question....and No is the answer(mainly cause the Fulawka I play ALL the time now)...ah...ha.
Yes I have very fond memories of that particular ShoBud(on sale now on Buy and Sell) and anytime I want to dial them up...they are right there in my head.
One guitar I feel bad about selling is the Double-10 White Remington Hawaiian steel that Herb custom did for me....but I just didn't play it anymore and moved on....So No regrets....and there is so many steels and amps that I have let go, and don't regret selling any of them....as they Play on through others.
Ricky
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 10:17 am    

I have Joaquin Murphey's D-8 Bigsby in the collection, I want to believe that it has a bit of Paul and Joaquin's spirits in it, made by my hero and played by my hero. I have a couple of Bobby Garret's, one of Norm Hamlets, one of Reese Anderson's, I might have the Chalker/Day Wright. I understand that in the grand sceme of things, objects are just objects, but these are not generic instruments as far as I'm concerned.

If you think about how much energy and intensity you put into playing your guitar and you veiw it from a totemism perspective, then these are more than just common objects.
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 10:27 am    

Johnny;

From early on, I have sold my 'old' guitars...by first was a lap-steel, then a Fender T-8. The one that I won't sell is truly sentimental...a one-pedal T-8, built by Harold Romero in 1955. Since then, I have kept only one pedal steel at a time...I don't get attached to them. I do try to be sure that the one I have is the best (IMHO) I can get at the time, and then take care of it.

Here's the Romero. http://www.vvm.com/~budval/1955Romero1.jpg

Best personal regards,

Bud

[This message was edited by Bud Harger on 08 September 2002 at 11:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bud Harger on 08 September 2002 at 11:28 AM.]

Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 10:54 am    

Wow what a beautiful guitar!... Just one question. What does the "one pedal" do?
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 11:35 am    

Danny;

The one pedal was similar to the "Slowly" change from E to A. It was a push-up lever for two strings of the E triad, through the bottom of the guitar. Simple, but it worked just fine.

The other necks were tuned to E13th and C6th.

Bud

[This message was edited by Bud Harger on 08 September 2002 at 12:38 PM.]

Johan Jansen

Europe
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 12:17 pm    

I never, never, never will sell any of my guitars, or I had to trade it in for a better one from the same brand. I had to work hard to get them, and the emotional value is to me much more then just money.
MHO
Johan www.steeljj.com
Ed Naylor

portsmouth.ohio usa, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 12:35 pm    

I still have my "Gene Autry" guitar I started on when I was 5. I have my first "Regal" lap steel I got in 1948. I have my 7 st Ricky my Dad got me for Xmas in 1954.I sold my 1958 Electraharp and my 55 Gold top Les Paul.Last week I sold a 1962 Buick "Skylark" convertible I had since 75. I have close to 100 guitars that I have collected but probably will not sell them. At least not now. If you don't need the money-Keep them. Ed Naylor Steel Guitar Works
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2002 12:36 pm    

I miss every guitar I've ever sold, down to that old "Steel-Reinforced-Neck" Stella, that my Dad bought me nearly 40 years ago. But, at the same time, owning ANYTHING, just for the sake of owning it, is kinda ridiculous. Read the 2nd chapter of Ecclesiastes, and then modernize it for any guy you know. I'm a pack rat, and I don't know many musician's that aren't.
BTW, I'm listing a lime green leisure suit, with the white belt and shoes(size 12 1/2) on Buy and Sell. Sometimes you just gotta let go.