| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Please help...problem with C pedal
Nathan Powell

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 9:14 am    

Y'all,

This is on a 74 MSA Classic

I have been having some trouble with my C pedal. When I apply the pedal, the 4th string change finger starts to move immediately and then, about halfway down, the 5th string change finger starts to engage. In other words, they aren't moving together. They both raise a whole step, but the 4th string gets there more fluidly. I don't really know how else to explain it... The rod of the the 5th string is moving before the string changes pitch. I looked at the other fingers when I pushed the various pedals and it seems like the other fingers move as much as the 5th string (a short distance) and that the 4th string finger is the only one that travels really far. I tried changing the position of the 4th string rod in the bell crank, but that didn't help. I also looked, but didn't see anything binding in the changer (however, I didn't take strings off and take it apart). Any input would be MORE than appreciated...I'm at my wits end!

Here are a couple pics - the top picture is the pedal halfway down and the bottom picture is when the pedal is fully engaged.

Geoff Marshall

North Lincolnshire U,K.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 12:48 pm    

Is the 4th string pull rod disengaged from the changer when the string is in open i.e. raise finger has some free play? How old are the strings? Try a couple of new strings. Is the lower finger moving with the raise finger?

North Lincolnshire U,K.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 12:48 pm    

Is the 4th string pull rod disengaged from the changer when the string is in open i.e. raise finger has some free play? How old are the strings? Try a couple of new strings. Is the lower finger moving with the raise finger? Hope this helps.

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 12:54 pm    

Well, the rod is flush with the changer and the strings were replaced about a month ago and I don't gig more than 2 times a month with it... Also, the lower finger stays put. Confused
Geoff Marshall

North Lincolnshire U,K.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 1:08 pm    

As long as they reach the correct pitch and return to the correct pitch thats the main thing; its just a matter of playing with the leverages at the changer and the bell cranks to try to improve the timing - they never will be the same - this is used to effect with using string nine lower as a half stop feel for string two lower as we know. Changing string gauges will also change the differential in timing of the strings of course.

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 1:33 pm    

Thanks for the input!
Geoff Marshall

North Lincolnshire U,K.
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2012 2:02 pm    

Happy motoring Smile