| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New To Forum - Looking To Buy
Joel Ostrom

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 12:06 pm    

Hi Folks,

i'm new to the forum and an aspiring steel player. I don't own one as of yet, but i'm hoping to save up some cash and get my hands on one. But i could sure use some insight from experienced players and owners.

As a beginner, what would you recommend for a first time steel guitar. I've been told by a friend of mine to basically go for the best quality you can afford and to also go for vintage - that way it'll retain its value should i ever decide to upgrade.

What are some good brands to check out as far as good quality vintage steels go?
(I'm probably just looking for a single neck 10 string for now, 3 pedals to start)

Where might i be able to find some good deals? Is this forum a good place to do my shopping?

Also, what other tips might you have for a beginner going from playing six string guitar (8 years experienced) to a steel.

Any information is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Joel
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 12:46 pm    

Joel, first or all welcome to the forum.

I would agree with the advice you were given in purchasing the best you can afford.

I bought a Magnum Pro Select when I started and ended up trading it in on a Mullen G2 as knew I was going to stick with it.

Bottom line, if you don't like it and decide to sell it, you can get rid of a good quality pedal steel with at least 3 pedals and no less than 4 knee levers a lot easier than a starter guitar with less.

On the other hand, Stage One makes a great guitar for the money.

I'm only speaking on what I've seen posted but
Stage One is getting a lot of great reviews from owners. I'm sure a few will chime in hear to confirm this.

Keith
George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2012 1:06 pm    

Contact Wayne Link (builder of Linkon steel guitars) in Winnipeg. He's a craftsman and great all around guy.

Also, Al Brisco is in Canada as well. These two I personal know and recomend them.

Geo
J Fletcher

London,Ont,Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 9:20 am    

Hi Joel
Try to buy in Canada, as customs, duty, etc when shipping from the States adds about 25 or 30% to the cost.
I think Jeff Bradshaw has a store in Alberta, you could look him up on the web.
Be hard to go wrong with a used SD10 Emmons LeGrande, with at least 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.
Jerry
Joel Ostrom

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 10:28 am    

J Fletcher wrote:
Hi Joel
Try to buy in Canada, as customs, duty, etc when shipping from the States adds about 25 or 30% to the cost.
I think Jeff Bradshaw has a store in Alberta, you could look him up on the web.
Be hard to go wrong with a used SD10 Emmons LeGrande, with at least 3 pedals and 4 knee levers.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry - I checked him out and found his website. Turns out he's in Rocky Mountain House, which is right close to some relatives of mine. Its about a 3hr drive away for me, but totally worth it i think if i'd be able to drive up and pick up a new steel.

I don't know what he's got in stock as far as used equipment, but i'd definitely be interested in picking up an Emmons SD10.

Thanks for the tip on his store, having a local place to buy will definitely make things easier.

Cheers,
Joel

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2012 5:02 pm    

Joel, Welcome to the SGF. Have you had a chance to check out the guitars I build? Check out the BenRom site below. Here you will get a brand new guitar for a reasonable price, with the right amount of pedals and knee levers. Everything like a pro model without the hassle of having to add extras down the road as your playing progresses. Like Jerry F. said, do consider Canada to save on the heavy duties, taxes and brokerage fees. Shoot me a mail or PM. We might be able to swing a deal for you.
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 8:47 am    

Just for an FYI, there is no duty if the purchased item is made in North America (NAFTA)

I purchased my Mullen G2 through Herby Wallace and paid no duty.

Just make sure they mark on it clearly (made in USA) or (made in Canada).

Brokerage fees could apply depending on the shipping method though.

I went through Canada Post and no problems. You do have to pay the applicable taxes for your province though.
Sam Conomo

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 12:54 pm     first guitar

try and get at least 3pedals and 4 knee ,for sure,
much easier for re-sale.get the best quality you can .
sam.
Justin Kania

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 5:26 pm    

There is a real cheap GFI for sale ATM! Snatch that puppy up!
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 5:26 pm    

Keith Davidson wrote:
You do have to pay the applicable taxes for your province though.

Yes, the duties was usually the least of it before it was killed by NAFTA. What kills now are the brokerage fees(depending on carrier/broker)plus like you say provincial tax, plus of course the federal tax ..the two together is called the HST and here in Ontario it is 13% total. Harmonized Sales Tax...doesn't really create any harmony does it? Smile
Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2012 5:43 pm    

Welcome Joel! I've purchased a couple steels out of the states, and it's true, if you stick to USPS, you'll pay some tax, but no duty, as long as it's made in North America.

All that said, I'm playing a Sho~Bud rack and barrel S-10 that cost me about $1200. It sounds amazing. It plays a little stiff, but I like guitars that fight back a bit... I'd recommend if you value tone over mechanics. And aren't afraid of getting your hands dirty with a bit of maintenance.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 11:54 am    

Welcome,
I would recommend a used pro steel from a forumite (they generally only sell because they have to or are upgrading themselves), or reputable dealer first. then perhaps a new Stage One or other lower entry priced steel if possible. Try to find a steeler near you! It can help a great deal to test the water so to speak. Its a buyers market, so spend as much as you're comfortable with, you can usually sell it back and break even if its not for you.

My first steel was a cheap Carter Starter used for 500 that came to TX from Alaska about 6 years ago Shocked It was functional with 3 (pedals) X 4 (levers) to learn on, and I still use it as a rehearsal steel. I figure If I can make that sound good, It will be an easy ride on my Mullen (3X5 now) that plays like smooth butter in comparison. I got it as a 3X4 less than a year later, after I was firmly hooked like a large-mouth bass on a hula-popper. Laughing I added the extra lever myself from a kit. Point is you may soon want a car you can customize, or just drives faster and smoother, if you first learn to drive a go cart or buggy that isnt designed to be modified. Either way, go for it Joel! Very Happy

Clete
Mike Bourque

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2012 2:13 pm     This can't be happening

Great!!! Just what I need lol.
Dont do it Steel isn't fun!!

Who am I kidding. I suck at lying

Joel is a great tele player
If you want I'll teach you Steel. (I'm one of the best at playing out of tune , and with poor technique ) lol

Come buy the house and try some steels out , i dont have any for sale right but you may get an idea on what you like (I have 5 steels at the moment )
I'll be around this weekend as I'm gigging in town (Ranchmans)

The steel community is great and in Alberta we are very fortunate to have great steel players which have all been very helpful and being on this forum I have learned tons
and continue learning every day. You'll see. It's addicting Smile)

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 9:05 am     Customs, duties, NAFTA

Is this correct as I thought NAFTA was supposed to prevent this increase in customs and duties:
"Try to buy in Canada, as customs, duty, etc when shipping from the States adds about 25 or 30% to the cost." Thanks, stevet
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 6:12 am    

Al Brisco <steelcan>;

Steel Guitar of Canada one stop shop,COLBORNE, Ontario K0K 1S0

Then you have no worries about duty and he knows a lot of people plus is very helpful and good to know in the long term.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP