| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Handbuilt Segovia 1912 Model F/S or F/T $750+ shipping
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2012 8:23 pm    

I had a Guitar built in 2006 by a local luthier. It was built off the official plans from the 1912 Segovia built by Ramirez. It really is a fine guitar. I paid 2K. Which was more or less wholesale as the guy owed me a favor. He would have charged $3500 It is Engleman spruce, with mahogany neck, madagascar rosewood back and sides and headstock overlay, rosewood fretboard. It has cocabolo, ebony and maple binding. Hard case and humidifier.

I tore a tendon in my left elbow a year ago (fretting hand arm) and cannot use this guitar much now. My regular guitar playing days are so limited now I feel foolish owning this. I cannot play enough to actually do the classical thing I was working towards. But I can play steel...so I must move that direction.

I really want a nice playing D-8 steel. It can be anything really, but must have legs, and strong pickups. I would be interested in National, Supro, Magnatone, Gibson, Fender...I don't know, what do you have under the bed? I'm asking $750 plus shipping

I sold my Gibson Consolette a couple of years ago, it seemed like a good idea at the time. I didn't forsee losing my guitar chops after playing every day for 25 years. Such is life! Muttering Smile

Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer

Last edited by Rick Abbott on 3 May 2012 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2012 6:18 am    

The guitar was built off of the plans drawn by R. E. Brune. Segovia gave his 1912 Ramirez to the New York Museum of Modern Art with the express wish that it never be played again. It basically fell apart in the glass display case. The museum had Brune completely disassemble it and rebuild it. He got permission to make detailed measurements of all the parts. The only changes made in my guitar were to aleviate the tendency for the guitar to fall apart and / or crack. The original had been repaired many times, mine has had no work done since its finish date in October 2006.
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 22 Apr 2012 1:48 pm    

I'd sell it outright also, but PM me for the price.

Thanks for looking Smile
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Matt Berg

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 7:10 am     Re: WTT Handbuilt Segovia 1912 for D-8 Steel PICS ADDED

Rick Abbott wrote:
I had a Guitar built in 2006 by a local luthier.

Hey Rick,

Sorry about your hand.

How would you feel about disclosing the name of the luthier?

Matt
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 3:40 pm    

Thanks Matt.

Really my hand is fine, but the tendon that attaches at the elbow and to my ring finger is shot. Too much Hendrix! I was playing 4-5 hours a day, typing a 20 page paper for a class and working at an orchard...way too much for my puny tendons.

His name is Daniel L OVadka. He learned his trade from a dude named Fox in Redwing, Minnasota. Fox learned from D'Aquisto who learned from D'Angelico. Pretty good genetics! He's built for about 20 years. He talked to Brune a couple times while building it.

It kills me to sell it. I realize he's not a "top name" builder, so there's not too much name recognition. He has has built guitars for Kenny Neal and a couple other pro blues players.

Thanks for the question!
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer
Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 11:56 am     I saw the thread in Feedbback!!

TTT

and

price added!

$750 plus shipping

or trade for a D-8 Very Happy
Remington T-8, Sehy #112
1975 Peavey Pacer