| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Info on Oceanside seminar with Jay Dee?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 12:15 pm    

For the life of me I can't find any posts, where the heck is the info? Thanks in advance.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 1:51 pm    

I got an e-mail directly from Jim Palenscar about it.
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 2:01 pm    

Hey, Patty will be in Oceanside to visit our Marine grandson... maybe I can talk her into attending the seminar Smile

I'll be in Plcerville playing an Irish pub, so don't feel too sorry for me Smile
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 2:14 pm    

When is this happening?
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 3:40 pm    

Hey Chris...
It's set for April 14th...and I believe if there's a big enough demand, it'll be two days.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 6:37 pm    

Due to limited seating (21/day) it was word of mouth primarily and Saturday and Sunday sold out in a heartbeat. If there is enough interest we can schedule it again soon. The topics are Intros, Solos and playing behind a singer.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 10:28 pm    

Wow! A seminar with Jay Dee! Take this on the road and please come to Denver.
Chuck
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 4:49 am    

Well lets come to Big D too, Chuck... This will be a true treat for all that attend.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 9:28 am    

I've been looking for an excuse to come to L.A. for a trip to see my California buddies. This would have been a great reason to come. Congrats to all who secured the covet spots for the seminar!
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 11:51 am     Reply to Chris

I don't know if business is run the same in CA as in TX, but when I lived in TX the preferred customers list was made up of those who spent the most $$$ within a year. I spent enough at one shop (in TX) that I was invited to the private house events; they didn't hold "private" events at their place of business so as not to discourage potential customers.

Although I have spent $$$ at a particular shop, it was not within the last year--no invite for me either. Welcome to reality--it is not people, not people's feelings, not "my friend", etc. that counts; it is only the money--strictly business you understand.

Now if you want an example of how it was done by one of the greats, I'll mention Red Rhodes--now there was a true gentleman musician; owned a steel guitar shop too. When "name players" were visiting from Nashvile, he called via telephone on his dime to invite musicians he knew, and lesser steel players like myself, to come and listen and learn for free.
I rest my case.

Palenscar, I love ya, but this time I have to say: tacky, tacky, tacky.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 2:16 pm    

In this case I measured the floor space, figured out how many I could get in, and then contacted the folks that JayDee asked me to contact. I then went thru my data base and searched and selected those customers for whom I had an email address and then sorted them based on zip codes w/in roughly a hundred miles and then sent out an email telling them that the first to contact me and pay JayDee for the seminar wold be put on the list. That number was roughly 250. Saturday filled up right away and JayDee consented to repeat the seminar the next day for those who were unable to attend the Saturday seminar. Quite obviously my data base should be updated and more email addresses should be added although sometimes in the course of a day I simply do not have time to get everything from every customer as it is just me at the shop. I assure you- it has absolutely nothing to do with money, dollars spent, buddies, etc. or I wouldn't be in this business to start with. If you would like to attend a seminar like this please so indicate and I'm sure it will be arranged to accommodate you as soon as possible. Derogatory comments are not warranted.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 2:48 pm    

Thank you for the clarification/justification?

Wouldn't it just be easier to post on the Forum?
After all, that's how I found out about your shop--on the forum. That's how the many more steel players who obviously want to attend a seminar with JayDee would know--on the forum. That's how most of your customers find out about events--on the forum.
Jim Park

Carson City, Nv
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 2:48 pm     Re: seminar

Knowing Jim Palenscar ................ I doubt that his motives had anything to do with money, I bet it was just one of those cool things he does from time to time and besides.........it's his store and he can do as he see's fit to do....I hope his endeavors are fun and successful, which will lead to good pickin and grinnin
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 3:16 pm    

First, my apologies to Jim Palenscar for creating a bit of a public stir here. I have so many sources of incoming information, I mistakenly thought I must have seen it here in the Events folder on the forum. My mistake.

As creators and promoters for the event, Jim and Jay Dee are entitled to announce and promote it any way they see fit. Reaching out to their email list and store customers is a logical way to go, and with space so restricted, it's no surprise the seminar filled up instantly, and Jay Dee graciously agreed to add a second day.

I respectfully don't see criticizing their decisions as fruitful or appropriate, Steve. Especially since Jim Palenscar is such a big, generous part of the Southern California (and even national) steel guitar scene. Anyone who does business with Jim has nothing but praise for his reasonable fees, top-notch tech work, and generous sharing of knowledge. If he were on Yelp, he'd be getting 5 stars, no doubt!

Last edited by John McClung on 26 Feb 2012 4:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 3:38 pm    

I'll Second that John.....Ron
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2012 3:44 pm    

I've seen how Jim runs is shop and it's clear he isn't in it for the money...

My understanding is that this was intended as a semi-private trial run with a familiar, friendly crowd for JayDee to get a feel for giving a seminar, hopefully in preparation for more, like maybe in Phoenix next year. Teaching does not come as naturally to JayDee as playing does after 50+ years, but I think he realizes he has a great deal to offer those of us who will never have the range of experience he has. I'm sure both Jim and JayDee are surprised, and gratified, at all the interest. Initially they only thought they might do another one Sunday if more than twenty people showed interest. Surprise!

Let's all be supportive and hope for more!
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 1:08 pm     Re: Jay Dee's Seminar at Jim Palenscars in Oceanside, CA

Hi guys
Please include me on the list for the next seminar, I've always been a huge fan and it would be great to see Mr. Palenscar again as I don't get down there that often especially with this Gas Crunch that's going on lately..

Billy Woo aka
Bronco Billy
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 2:23 pm    

Wishing Steel guitars North County much success
in the up comeing shows.