| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sheet music to steel
John Bumbarger

Houtzdale, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2012 5:37 am    

I'm looking for a course that relates sheet music to the pedal steel. How to convert from sheet music to tab. Does anyone know if one exists?
Michael J Pfeifer

New York NY 10036
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 5:28 am    

There is an instruction book written in tab and standard notation. I don't know the title,but it can be found at Colony Music,NYC.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 8:12 am    

John,
All my tab is written with the musical notation directly above the tab. I also include the chord designation and the lyrics. All of this is important to writing a good arrangement for the pedal steel. After a while you can see the correlation between the music and the tab. To read written music and convert it to tab is not an easy matter. You have to be really up on your note, key and chord recognition. Also, there are so many different places on the pedal steel to find the notes and chords, you have to figure out the smoothest and easiest place to lay out what you want the song to sound like.
Glenn Uhler

Trenton, New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2012 6:13 pm     Erv's Collection

Erv's collection is a good place to start for another reason. He's got such a wide and varied collection that you can find dozens of songs that you already know the melody. When you play them, you know what the song should sound like before you start.

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2012 5:22 pm    

You should just get a course on learning to read standard notation - it's something you could learn in a year. You can buy software programs now that teach you.
You're not going to find a book to do this for you - its a (highly) aquired skill.
There were some lap steel methods in the 40s-50s that taught this.

Tabledit software would do this but it would take massive hours to input all that notation

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2012 8:26 am     Notation to Tab

I find that Guitar Pro6 does a good job for me. Unfortunately it doesn't have any steel guitar voicing that I can find. But, once you define your tuning it's easy to use. Sometimes it gives you a ridiculous tab, but that's easy to spot and change to something playable. Also very good for hearing a piece that you don't know.

Only works for six strings though. Be nice if some smart soul customized it for steel with more strings, etc. but I doubt there's a big enough market to justify that. Have to be a labor of love.