| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ebay deal-O-the-day? early B6 w/mods BIN $650
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 9:32 am    

#061 - even if it's a '50s era model or actually a very early production with the mods, this is a nice price if it's in good playable condition

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prewar-1935-Bakelite-Rickenbacher-Rickenbacker-Hawaiian-Lap-Steel-/110815458813?pt=Guitar&hash=item19cd1db5fd

And with silver panels... you can't call it a panda!
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 10:07 am    

this is the 3rd / 4th time around for this one, the BIN gets cheaper each time. i'm sure this would be a good player - the pickup looks suspect - the protective cloth wrapping is undone.
of course, the beat up ones usually sound the best

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 1:13 pm    

Yeah, if I was horny for a B6 I'd do it even with the suspect mishandlings.
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 1:30 pm    

i just picked up one of forumite Kenny Dail's fine pre-war B6's his widow was selling - he had 2 of them, i chose the beat up one! ... and although I didnt know Kenny, part of him is certainly in that guitar, i feel so fortunate to be the next caretaker of that guitar, let me tell you, the sound is just heavenly, and it will growl like a junk yard dawg when pushed.

I have become a believer in the bakelite sound - the bad part of this is that I have a room full of steels that are no longer seeing playing time.

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 2:07 pm    

It's one of my spares. It is the second time I listed it and I am frankly disapointed no one has jumped on it. It is priced realistically for its condition.
It is an early 1935 production model that others had done some changes to as described in the add.
I expect the pickup was rewound but it does work fine.
Very good guitar for someone who wants a bakelite B6 and doesn't want to spend a grand to get one. I have gone over the one hundred threshold of guitars and havent played it for a long time. I never thought I would say it but I need the room more than some of the guitars. That's what 40+ years of collecting turns into.
Martin Curnan

Lihue, Kauai
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 4:24 pm     "RICKENBACHER"

I thought that the pre-war 'ricks' were spelled "RICKENBACHER" and post-war "RICKENBACKER". Still a good price even if the p/u was rewound.
John Dahms

Perkasie, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 5:03 pm    

Rickenbacher was used until around 1949ish then it became Rickenbacker. There is no real cut off date, they used up stickers and logos they already had made.
The 1950s clamshell head cover on this guitar was added. Of course I don't know when but the pots (if I remember correctly) have 1959 date codes so this 77 year old may have been "updated" 50 years ago. Either way it's old enough to have had a history.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2012 7:43 pm    

As far as the price goes, I think the guy (or gal) is being realistic. The guitar needs work. I'd put 500 on it and see how it went. But having already gone through all that for a B6, I have to say I'd hang out for a seven string.