| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklin intro-If youre gonna do me wrong
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2012 6:23 pm    

I finally gotten around to doing this people. I hope the image comes out clear enough for you guys. Smile
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 5:39 am     Thank you...

Hey Quentin,

First, thank you for pointing the members to my humble offerings about scales, runs and such on the thread about Mickey's Scales Exercise Tabs. Sure hope some of my stuff can be of use.

Second, man I believe I'm cursed. A simple mind that hears everything wrong or so different from every one else, that it makes playing beautiful but difficult passages, near impossible.

I'll swear I can't get the part you wrote out, from the middle of the first bar to the middle of the second. Watching the video makes me think Mr. Franklin might be using one of his magic levers. Could we break down just that part. Email me if you would like. Help!!!

Also I'm hearing the first part of bar three go 9A-9-8F-9E, although yours sound correct too and play equally as well. What a tin ear I have...
Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 9:18 am    

Hey Dick thanks for the interest. Keep in mind that for most of the intro that I can't see what Paul is doing here so I had to rely solely on my ears to pick out the notes I hear. I slowed it waaaaay down and played it over and over again.(sometimes slowing stuff down is worse) I know what you mean about the first half of the first bar to the first half of the second bar I think some of it is that he may be slightly releasing his pedals before the slide up to the next notes. All of the little pitch changes tyou hear could be a pedal. I am playing an an old MSA classic and all I have to work with are LKL, LKR and RKR along with pedals A,B,C.
I find that Paul has a very unique and suttle way of sliding into and out of chord progressions that would make you bet the farm that he is using a pedal or lever but I think that there is good bar work being done here as well. He is so darn good at picking and than sliding from note to note its scary. I could practice it for a month and still not get exactly what he is doing. If you want Dick I will shoot you off an Email with a sound file of me playing it and maybe that will clear things up for you Smile

Quentin
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 9:26 am     Thanks...

Yeah, email me, I'd like to have your address, lost all of mine in a crash recently...:>(

Anyway... Good job on it.