| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Paul Yandell
J J Harmon

Reynolds, GA 31076
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 6:04 am    

Chet Atkins' famous sideman died this morning. I know he wasn't a steel player but of definite note.
Michael Douchette

Gallatin, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 6:15 am    

I am so sorry. Paul was an old friend; I haven't seen him in a couple years. He will be greatly missed.

http://www.steelharp.com
http://www.thesessionplayers.com/douchette.html

(other things you can ask about here)
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o54/Steelharp/
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 6:27 am    

Sorry to hear this. I met Paul when I worked at Little Roy Wiggins store in the early 70's. Paul came in often and would chat with us. He also bought some strings at the store.

He was doing some work with Jerry Reed at the time. He brought one of Jerry Reed's amps to me for repair.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 6:41 am    

RIP Paul and thanks for the music. Here is a great video of Chet and Paul (with Buddy Emmons in the background).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PivEs2y8YAM

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 7:06 am    

SORRY TO HEAR THIS ! ...... He was always a favorite .

Paul , Phil Baugh , Ronnie Prophet and Conway Twitty all playing their PEAVEY guitars are why I switched to those so many years ago .

Sad ANOTHER GREAT TRUE GUITAR MAN .... GONE ! Sad
Peavey Guitars
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 7:57 am    

Very sorry to hear this. Great player in his own right, and the ultimate sideman when that was called for - a rare combination, and getting more rare. RIP.
David Thornhill

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 7:59 am     Friend

I have known Paul for many years, and I respected him as a great guitar player, and person. He got to live out a dream that most guitar player would have given any thing to do, and that was to play and be associated with the best,(CHET ATKINS). Rest in peace my friend. Dave Thornhill
Morgan Scoggins

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 8:25 am    

I saw Chet and Paul at a live concert in Orlando, Fl about 1978.They were playing at the civic center. Chet introduced Paul to the audience as "The man who knows all the parts I play and the harmony parts too."
Later in the concert, Chet was having some equipment problems and retired backstage to fix his guitar. He turned the show over to Paul and the band and they played their socks off until Chet came back!

Goodlettsville,Tn.,USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 9:24 am    

My friend, Ed Canaday, and I went to see Paul two weeks ago. Thank God he was still lucid, and he knew us. We visited with Paul for over an hour, during which time we shared some great stories. Paul and I played a club together for about 2 years after I got off the road in 1976. Knowing that I needed to acquire a lot of equipment to start a studio career, he was always eager to loan or give me things I didn't have. The 1977 Les Paul Standard that I still play today is one that he found for me in a music store. He was very instrumental,(pun intended), in keeping me from having to go back on the road, and for that, I'll be eternally grateful!
Paul was an inspiration to players around the globe, and the music world will long be aware of the void left by his passing.
Ken Newman

maitland, Florida, /desmoines,ia
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 9:25 am     paul yandell

RIP paul , you will never be a-feared of death as we call it. thanks for seconding the greats with '''great'''. you will never be alone. kenny of the sleepy hollow newmans.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 12:56 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9K-4UWSW8&feature=player_detailpage Heres a pretty good tribute..
Dave Harmonson

Seattle, Wa
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 1:20 pm    

Very sad. Another legend gone. RIP Paul

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 2:03 pm     Paul Yandell

So sorry to hear this.Another great Guitar Master gone.
Mr. Fred Gretsch had me repair a pickup for Paul's "58"
Country Gent. a couple of months ago and I got to speak to Paul on the phone. Needless to say that was a thrill for me. He will be greatly missed.
Gene Haugh
Doug Childress

Orange, Texas
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 3:02 pm    

I had the honor of mixing monitors for Chet and Paul back in the early 80's at the Jefferson Theatre in Beaumont, TX. I had a ringside seat watching two of the greatest pickers of all time. Chet didn't want a monitor around him and played through a small Pignose amp. Paul matched him lick for lick. That's where I learned what a professional is.
Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 8:21 pm    

One of the guys that built the house that is country music for his work with the Louvins. Knew him for a long time. May he rest in peace.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 2:55 am    

From Marty Martel:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PAUL YANDELL PASSES ON AT 76

Country Music has lost another great musicians, Paul Yandell one of the greatest guitar players ever in our industry, passed away this morning November 21, 2011.

Please keep Paul’s wife Marie, his son Micah and daughter-in-law Sheri in your thoughts and prayers.

Details about arrangements will be posted when they are available.

MAY HIS SOUL REST IN THE PEACEFUL ARMS OF HIS BLESSED SAVIOR.

Paul Yandell
1935 - 2011

Paul was an accomplished player by the time he left high school in Western Kentucky, arriving in Nashville in 1955. Little did he know he would end up playing for the most renowned guitar player in the world. Paul joined Chet Atkins in 1975 supporting Atkins in his career that lasted for 25 years.

Paul started his career with The Louvin Brothers, which lasted until 1959, with Paul playing on many of their greatest hits. After serving in the army, Paul joined the Kitty Wells show where he stayed from 1961-1970. Paul joined Jerry Reed in 1970 and as Paul says he “went to college” learning from Jerry Reed. Paul stayed with Jerry through 1975.

Making his place in Nashville's musical community as a session player, Paul played on many hit records with artists such as Chet Atkins, Jerry Reed, Dolly Parton, Steve Wariner, Hank Thompson, Perry Como, Roger Whitaker, Kitty Wells, The Louvin Bros, Les Paul, Woody Herman, The Everly Bros. and Mary Chapin Carpenter. Paul appeared on TV shows such as The Dinah Shore Show, The Tonight Show, The Today Show, The Pat Sajak Show, The Merv Griffin Show and Nashville Now.

After Chet Atkins died in 2001, Paul released a solo CD entitled "Forever Chet" featuring many songs performed by Chet Atkins throughout his career.

Paul’s CD “Dream Train” was released May of 2004 and features many original tunes written by Paul and performed on the New Gretsch “Nashville Classic” that was co-designed by Paul. The artwork for the cover of Dream Train was drawn by Steve Wariner, who is also featured on lap steel on one of the tunes.

In 2005, Paul released another CD, entitled “In the Groove”. His latest CD, “Drive On” is expected to be released in July 2006.

All I ever wanted to do when I was a kid was to come to Nashville and play at the Grand Ole' Opry, that was my dream night and day. The dream eventually came true. Over the years, I’ve had the opportunities to play with--all my heroes. What more could a guy want?

- Paul Yandell
J J Harmon

Reynolds, GA 31076
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 8:08 am     Another obit

http://www.misterguitar.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1485
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 9:04 am    

A very nice, self-effacing man and an important contributor to great American music. RIP.
Mike Cass

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 11:40 am    

Im so sorry to hear about Paul's passing. He was such a fine, fine player and human being.
Greg, you said it all....Paul was never adverse to helping a fellow picker make a living. Personally, he kept me eating in the winter and spring of '85 with a weekend gig in Clarksville and some session work. He didnt have to hire me on the club gig as the band was already quite good sized when Chuck Bartlett left it to join Jack Green's band, but we got along well and I busted my ass to do him a good job.
Many fond memories of Paul's playing, especially one Prarie Home Companion show @ the Ryman featuring he & Chet.
RIP my friend.

MC
Kenny Burford

Independence, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2011 9:38 am    

I only got to see Paul Yandell once in concert, it was June 1981 in Cheyenne, Wyoming he was performing with Chet Atkins. It was one of the finest concerts I have ever attended in my life, no gimmicks, no jumping around on stage, no spinning lights, just super talent. When the show was over I made it a point to meet Paul at the edge of the stage and compliment him on his playing. I explained that I had followed his career from afar reading the credits on the many albums he played on and IMO he had the ultimate position playing with Chet Atkins. He seemed like a humble person, modest about his talent and it was real treat for me to see him and Chet perform live. Unfortunately most of my guitar heros have passed and I only got to see a few of them perform live, I am truly grateful I got see Paul and Chet perform live even if it was only once.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 4:51 am    

Nashville Tennessean obituary for Paul:

http://blogs.tennessean.com/tunein/2011/11/21/nashville-guitarist-paul-yandell-chet-atkins-right-hand-man-dies-at-76/
Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 28 Nov 2011 8:33 pm    

Such a sad thing. It seems to bother me more & more when I learn of the passing of the great ones. ...I never knew Paul personally, but 1 time years ago he took us back stage at the Opry so we could be seated in the wings and see what all went on back stage during the show. Such a nice and humble guy, such a talent!
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 6:00 pm    

I first became aware of Paul from his work with the Louvins. He has been a household word ever since. Thanks for the great music, Paul. RIP.