| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right hand dexterity drills help in more than one way!
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 11:38 am    

I have always had some trouble with, hitting clams, palm blocking and volume pedal technique. In the last 6 months I've begun stepping up on right hand finger dexterity drills that I created for myself. I know that there are some good dexterity excersises out there developed by pros and teachers alike. My point is that since I've been focused on this, not only am I playing more complex single note patterns and my pick accuracy has improved, but my palm blocking has miraculously improved and my volume pedal control is better. I think that it has to do with confidence. I don't know.

Hendersonville,Tennessee, (USA)
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 2:10 pm     Practice Habits...

Fred,

Unfortunately, my greatest pathway to discovery, concerning practicing, and playing pedal steel began with a tragedy, in 1997, after a friend had a stroke.
For several weeks, I attended therapy sessions with him. I asked a lot of questions to doctors, and physical therapists. They were all kind enough to explain how the brain transmits signals to muscles to get them to achieve a required task.
When my friend had his stroke, it basically fried, or short circuited most of the 'wiring' to the left side of his body. The therapist explained that the therapy sessions were helping to re-run the 'wiring' connections through new pathways to stimulate those muscles.
What I learned from the experience changed my whole approach to practicing, or learning new, unfamiliar patterns. Now, I look at it, and treat a new lick like programming info into a computer. The brain is the computer, naturally, and I found that breaking something down into smaller bits, like 2 bars of a 16 bar phrase, learn it thoroughly, and repeat it slowly many, many times (..hundreds) It gets to the point where I can just hit the 'Go' switch, and play it without any thought whatsoever. To diagnose how thorough the info is programmed, I'll speed the lick up to an almost ridiculous tempo,.. a tempo that I'll probably never play that lick in normal circumstances, but it is snappy enough to ensure that I have no chance of "thinking", and adjusting my way through it from beginning to end. After the 'speed' drill, if I still have stumble spots, where I'm trying to remember, or force my way through a particular part, I go back and repeat the slow, 1/2 speed (..or so) with many more repetitions until that part gets seated, and absorbed properly.

I also use dexterity exercises, that I can do anywhere, anytime, when I'm not at my guitar.
I learned them from a great, local guitar player.
These exercises may not appear to have any particular value to either hand, directly, in playing steel, but what they do, is exercise, and open up the neurological pathways between the brain, and the fingers.

First, I 'warm up' with some stretching. I try to remember to do these before I sit down at my guitar.

#1) With just my fingertips on the table, I slowly push my wrist below the tabletop, as far as I can,..before it gets to be too uncomfortable. When you feel a still bearable level of discomfort, hold it for 10-15 seconds. You might feel a slight burning, but it's ok, and normal.

#2) I repeat, with just the ring and pinky fingers, This warms and stretches the outer tendons.

I spread my right hand wide open, and then touch my thumb to my pinky pad 10-15 times.

Dexterity exercises. I do these anywhere, or, whenever I happen to think about it.

Position one, "The Spock" salute. Almost everyone is familiar with, and can do this with a little practice.

Position two, the inverted "Spock". This one gave me a lot of trouble at first, and I actually had to hold the ring and middle fingers together with my left hand,..until I got it programmed in, a few days later. (This will also really demonstrate the power of the 'programming' concept that I have been speaking of.)

Alternate between positions #1 & #2.
Get it to where you can alternate the positions in a 4 count rhythm. 1-Spock..2- closed..3- reverse Spock.. 4- closed. (repeat)
After a while, you'll be able to do this exercise along with a slow Ray Price shuffle...automatically.

There's one other stretch that I use, that might be worth mentioning. (..not pictured)
Stand about an arms length away from a wall, and spread your arms to about shoulder width,..as if you were going to do push-ups against the wall.
With your palms flat against the wall, and back straight, keep your heels touching the floor, and slowly lean forward as if you're doing a push-up. Try to get your nose as close to the wall as you can. When you feel the 'burn' in your calves, that's far enough. Heels touching the floor, hold the pose for 10 -15 seconds. Don't bounce! You can really tear things up that way.
Stretch, and H.o.l.d.

The benefits of stretching out those tendons and muscles in your calf region, will be apparent.

One more trick. Getting rid of tension.
If your playing gets to be uncomfortable, and if you notice that you're trying too hard to 'get' something right, there might be an excess of tension in your picking hand, bar hand,..or both.
When tension builds in my right hand, I'll ball up my fist tightly, and flex my forearm as hard as I can, and hold it for as long as I can.

This fatigues the muscles in the forearm, and forces them to relax. You'll notice a very warm, tingling sensation afterwards, and after taking some deep breaths, you'll find refreshing signs of new life in those digits.

I hope some of this tried, and tested experience of my own will be of some use to you, Fred.

Oh,.. about the volume pedal? Forget about it. Simply focus on the way you want it to sound, and your right foot will learn what it's supposed to do,...all by itself.

If you need any further elaboration, or explanations about my strange ways, feel free to gimme a buzz.

Your pal, Dale

Last edited by Dale Hansen on 14 Nov 2011 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hans Penner

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 3:43 pm    

Thanx Dale

Tips like yours are the reason I'm glad to be a member of the forum. Like you, the inverted "Spock" is impossible at this point but I'll work on it.

Hans
Dave Morrison

Whbg Ohio Usa
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 3:45 pm     dexterity exercises

Thanks Dale for the post!Excellent advice
Fred Glave

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 9:35 pm    

Thanks Dale. I started stretching a while back, but not to the degree that you do. I figured that athletes stretch before and after working out so it made sense. Since I've restarted doing short but increasingly complex string combination excersises and rolls all of those other problems have gotten much better. Doing each string combination using different fingers each time is key for me. I also like your plan for breaking bigger things down into small bits. It works well. Thanks.

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2011 5:07 am    

Dale that was an outstanding post! I have been doing a lot of stretching for several years now. I do a full body stretch routine most days that takes about 15-20 minutes and the benefits include improvement and maintenance of my overall quality of movement. I truly believe that quality of movement is directly related to quality of life and steel playing specific stretches are an awesome idea! Exercise is important but stretching is WAY undervalued in our society IMHO.
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 2:56 pm    

Doing a few sets of pushups to complete exhaustion with fingers spread as wide as possible is an excellent way to both stretch the hands and release tension.

One of the reasons why I started playing steel is that I developed tendonitis from over-practicing flamenco guitar techniques without properly stretching or taking frequent breaks. Obsession is a bitch. I wanted to play bowed strings but steel seemed far easier on the hands. That was a good choice because it IS far far easier on the hands than most instruments, but anything repetitive can screw you up.