| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String tension misunderstood
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 12:25 pm    

I think that there is some confusion regarding terminology.
Many players seem to be referring to string tension as the feel of the deflection as you pull the string with your fingers.

i.e. "Oh my good golly gosh*, just feel the tension on that third"

This of course is NOT string tension but compliance or "Feel"..
Isn't it ?

*(or could that be 'Jumpin' Jehosaphats'?)

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buy——>
Jason Hull

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 12:43 pm    

True. String tension is the force necessary to hold a string at its open note. String tension does, however, affect "feel", so it's easy to see why the two are confused.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 12:55 pm    

http://liutaiomottola.com/formulae/tension.htm

http://liutaiomottola.com/myth/perception.htm
Even tension on all strings would not necessarily give you a balanced tonality, OR feel. The heavier gauge strings would feel slacker than the plain ones (At equal Tensions). And being as the wound strings are more often than not played with the thumb (Which in itself is inherently stronger than the fingers) the volume/tonal balance would not be equal.

The time between picking the note and the note having a stable pitch is related to the force of picking and the string tension.
Slacker FEELING strings would exhibit a transient varying above pitch to a greater deviation and time-scale than a tighter string played with the same force.

After all that, I think I'd prefer to have my guitar SOUNDING right rather than measuring correctly regarding string tensions.
I DID say that equal tensions don't actually FEEL equal..Due to the factors I previously stated.
I think that the confusion between Tension and feel is best explained thus :"Tension and Compliance: String tension is completely defined by three factors: the pitch the string is tuned to, its vibrating length, and its mass (weight) per unit of length. Those interested in the formula by which these factors are related to pitch should take a look at page on this website about String Tension. Conventional wisdom has it that a number of other factors affect string tension. Some of these are (in no particular order):

The length of the string between the string anchor and the saddle of the bridge;

The length of the string between the tuning machine post or peg and the nut;

The breakover angle of the string at the bridge and/or the nut;

Once again, looking at the formula it is clear that none of these have any affect whatsoever on string tension. But it is both possible and in some cases likely that some or all of these can affect the compliance or elasticity of the string and this can affect just how taut the string feels to the player."

"Stiffness", "Elasticity" or "Feel" would seem to be what most people mean when they say "String Tension"
I think ! Rolling Eyes
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 1:04 pm    

Bas -

Great post. Also thanks for alerting the members to my favorite site dealing with the technical aspects of all of this. I've mentioned Mottola's site before but it's well worth refreshing a few memories.

Richard