| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  No Gimmicks.. Just Talent Will Get You There
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 12:05 pm    

Charlie,

You missed your calling.. pedal steel might rather have been a sideline for the purpose of accentuating your comedy routine.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 9:38 pm    

Bill
Do you really think they did it for throngs of aw struck fans...Have you ever heard of the old term someone said about...the thirst for knowledge...I don't say all these things because it's how I believe entirely but I have study the behavior of successful people and that includes steel greats....You original post was about "no gimmicks" well their is no gimmick to success...just a little bit of talent and a whole lot of desire to constantly get better....
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 10:00 pm    

Bill,was'nt being comedic. Whoa! I'm serious as a hippopotamus with a tooth-ache.Still want to hear about your goat.Think that will ever happen Question YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2011 10:27 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Scott,

The following came to mind; I'm not aware of the person's name who once stated,"You can "fool" some of the people, all of the time, but.. you can't fool all of the people, all the time."

That statement is attributed to Abraham Lincoln. In complete form: "You may fool all the people some of the time; you can even fool some of the people all the time; but you can't fool all of the people all the time."

My problem is, I can fool some of the people some of the time, but I can never fool myself.
Keith DeLong

Dartmouth NS Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 3:28 am    

No matter how well you play, the journey is as much fun as reaching the destination IMHO
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 4:56 am    

Edited for obvious reasons..

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 11 Jun 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 6:26 am    

Goats ….

for obvious reasons ….

Last edited by Barry Blackwood on 12 Jun 2011 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 12:14 pm    

Barry, Bet that's a [BILLY] goat. Still trying to figure out what it has to do with playing the steel guitar. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 1:48 pm    

Bill, we all have a degree of natural talent and the only realization that I’ve come to is that I'm getting much older.

As I got older, it is easier to be positive. I care less about what other people think.. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

It has set me free. I like the person I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I'm still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be and I’ll play the Steel Guitar Rag tonite for a ride in every single song (if I feel like it). Right now I feel like a good cup of my Piñon Coffee. I'm out of here headed for the Elks
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 5:37 pm    

Right on Bo. Ain't it nice to get that age where you really DON'T give a damn what people think. Laughing The ONLY one I try to please is THOMAS KATT.Because I KNOW he likes me.That's why I have a song I wrote for him and posted it on Charles Tillys site. Give it a listen and see if you like it.Some times I play it for him and give him a pinch of cat nip,I swear I think he pulls a Chris and gets a thrill up all four legs. I love to make that guy happy.Very Happy Smile Cool YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2011 6:41 pm    

I been around this music for more than 60 years and one thing for sure, if you go listen to a band, no matter if they are good or not, if you listen close, you will learn something that you do not know and will interface it into your music. You don't have to be perfect to be a sucess, you just have make it smooth and sound commericial to please the audience. Shorty
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 3:36 am    

Bo Legg,

Once again, those who experience setbacks in confidence levels, will reinforce an original determination to succeed, by responding decisively through the influence of a natural talent to triumph over adversity.

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 12:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
James Cann

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 9:20 am    

What a relief! All through this thread I kept expecting someone to say that someone was the best. As has been said before, at the levels discussed (and names dropped), it's not about 'best'; it's about 'difference' and its key: each pursues his own.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 12:18 pm    

James,

I've learned from experience that GENERAL audiences do not react to greatness as a steel guitarist. Smile

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 1:20 pm    

Bill Is that why Larry is called the cable guy,because his steel has cables.Did'nt know he was a steel player, I assumed he is or you would'nt be talking about him in the steel section,see you learn something new every day. Gitter done YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2011 5:06 pm    

Bill. In the words of of Charlie Brown's Teacher....wa wa wa wa aw wa wa wa wa wa wa aw aw aw aw aw aw aw aw awa waw wa.....
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 6:44 am    

Edited

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 7:34 am    

Bill,
I obviously struck the nerve I was aiming for. Now that I have your attention!!!
Your post, again, started out pretty cool but ended up with a whole bunch of blah blah....Why do you persist in taking constructive insight from forum members and then turning it into crap... Your respect for forum members seems a bit lacking sometimes...Country music is not my "forte"???Do you mean ...a musical dynamic meaning "loudly" or "strong" OR your strong point???? Country music has been my life not my forte....I have given as much as I possibly could to this industry and still maintain some sanity and relationships with my kids...I could have easily walked away from music for a better job to take care of my family but I didn't. I still managed to raise and finance a DR son and a great daughter who is finishing her education. FORTE? What do you do for a living Bill..Have you got up for the last 30 years and asked yourself how can I make money with my music today? How many times have you drove 12 hours to make $500.00 (which you really don't make any money by the time you get home...must just love playing music hmmmm)
renditions? you might find me on youtube, you might find me behind Leona or Ron Williams or in the past behind the great Ferlin Husky or Hank Thompson or many other people...maybe...It's not important and really don't care if I prove my "forte" is country music or steel guitar or anything to you...Now go back to your job that allows you to set around an think about useless stuff....again I am reminded of a friends comments...Why do you bother going out on that forum....gimmicks? been reading yours for quite some time now....Just play bill...don't talk just play....done
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 9:13 am    

Bill I think Scott pretty well drew the line in the sand between mediocrity or continued pursuit of a lifelong dream.
When you’re playing for or in continued pursuit of that dream of playing for a living your degree of natural talent is not the determining factor in exceptionally creative playing and your goal is certainly not reaching perfection.
For the person who is playing for a living, exceptionally creative playing means playing in a way that you can get and keep a pickin’ job and that includes gimmicks, fake it till you can make it and a whole big bag of tricks if you got em’.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 9:59 am    

Bo...Thank you....yup you get it...It's not about your ability it's about doing what is needed to obtain your goals....again thank you....
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:01 am    

Edited

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 12:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:11 am    

Bill totally dodged the question about what he does for a living.
I can almost bet with certainty, it's not or ever has been gigging.
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 10:22 am    

Oh so now I am a CORN fed hick from the middle of the country who is compared to a cheating husband from Carol County????LOL You're a hoot William...
Still curious what you have done with yourself for the last 3 or 4 decades...Been pickin much...Been out in a big bus exploiting your talent for the all mighty dollar?
Been looking for you on youtube but can't seem to find anything???? Looking over your shoulder?...Now Bill are you in the witness protection program??
I'm just curious what your natural talent is that's all...Be proud of it Son!!! We say son a lot in the midpoint of our land...LOL Your approach to this forum reminds of a Brad Paisley video about the internet....oh and CORN is from my friends in northern Missouri and Iowa. I am from the wheat state...I would tell which one but of course you all ready know....
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 11:45 am    

Edited

Last edited by Bill Hankey on 15 Jun 2011 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2011 12:07 pm    

Bill it sounds like you have some great memories but are you really gonna throw the "I've been playing weekends for 50 years" thing up in my face.Really???LOL I have only played for 31 years but the majority of them I averaged 6 days/nights a week. I have some great memories as well...like singing for 10 million people via satelite, or playing in front of thousands of people behind some of the greats. ( and not so greats!) One of my fondest memories was watching Bobby Caldwell pour his heart out on what I think was his final performance as a guitarist.That one hurt...but I wouldn't have missed it for nothing. (You really want me to drop some more names???really???) Memories are great Bill but you are still evading the question. My "natural talent" as does most, goes way beyond steel guitar. The beauty of natural talent is it's a gift from God to you. So this whole thread is really unimportant because what you do with you your gift is strictly up to you.
Now everyone is dying to know...what's your day job???
Be proud of your natural talent Bill!!!!!!!!!!!