| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Big Nashville Star and His Steel Player. I Don't Get It
Brandon Ordoyne

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 2:17 pm    

I recently saw a big name artist out of Nashville at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. His steel player was a younger guy, about my age (30) or younger, and he was playing an S10 Sho-Bud. All thru the show he kept rocking his steel back and forth, like a rock guitarist....I don't get it! Why? Certain people can pull this off (i.e. Robert Randolph). I just don't get it. I mean no disrespect, he does have a gig playing for 60,000+ crowds, and I am just part of a band playing weddings and dancehalls making $100 or less per show. If acting like that on stage is a requirement for todays country (or so-called country), I would rather just play some good music with my friends in the band at a wedding or dancehall than onstage with some of the national artists.

Ok...I am done

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 3:32 pm    

Was it Jay Jackson with Jason Aldean? He's played a Sho-Bud and Desert Rose steels.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Ron Ross

Midwest City,Oklahoma
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 3:34 pm    

I reckon its goes with the kind of so called music thats being played now...EVERYBODY wants to be a ROCK STAR..but im with ya...id rather play GOOD music with my friends in the VFW hall than play CRAPPY music in front of 60000+.. but then thats just me.. Brett..jason aldean WISHES he could play his SO CALLED Country music in front of a crowd that large

Needville,Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 3:42 pm    

I am not mentioning a name nor artist....I don't want to spread any disrespect... I am speaking in general....I have seen a few artists and their steel players rocking their guitars back and forth all night....can't be good for the guitar and tuning...what do I know, I am just an amateur Smile
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 4:04 pm    

I'm with you Brandon, however, sometimes that kind of behavior is suggested or even mandated by the star or his management. These days, they want to see movement onstage. No matter how phony, they think it creates more visual excitement to please the crowd. At least that has been my past experience. Oh Well
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 6:59 pm    

Brandon - it's called "showmanship" -- some people can pull it off and still play well -- others well .....!
Shocked
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 7:23 pm    

Maybe he was trying to get a ball end out of the changer. Laughing
Jody Sanders

Magnolia,Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2011 7:56 pm    

Don't sell yourself short Brandon. Your pickin' sounds good to me. See you down the road. Jody.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 4:08 am    

I'm just barely old enough to be able to identify the exact moment that "guitar face" became a part of the rock guitar curriculum, to be studied and memorized by all who follow....

Carlos Santana had an interview in Guitar Player magazine around 1972? 1973? He said something to the effect of:
Quote:
"Every time I saw B.B. King play a certain kind of note, he always made a certain kind of face."

And the blinders came off, the light streamed on in, and everyone to follow had to practice GUITAR FACE too! And at this late stage of the game, it's perfectly acceptable to hire someone with the right FACES and finger-sync him to the studio monkey who played the actual music. I once even met the guy who played bass backstage for Motley Crue while Nikki Sixx pranced and pouted and "sang".

A slight discourse, but: it would appear that Robert Randolph, the Greatest Pedal Steel Player Ever, has inspired a new generation. So if you want to get hired as a working steelman in the year 2015, you'd better start practicing... not music, dunderhead, practice your FACE and your windmills, throw the steel up in the AIR and catch it, mount it on casters and learn to spin it. Otherwise this guy is going to take your JOB:

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 4:23 am    

David Mason wrote:
throw the steel up in the AIR and catch it, mount it on casters and learn to spin it. Otherwise this guy is going to take your JOB:

ok, he or she can have it !

This is now +1 for the other side ! Laughing

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 6:17 am    

I'm just confused. If the guy is playing his parts, WHO CARES? Why does it matter?

I can recall Rusty Young doing very similar stuff with Poco DECADES AGO and everyone thought it was cool.

Buddy Emmons has been known to twirl his bar around and Jeff Newman always had a flair for the theatrical.

I don't evaluate anyone's playing by the antics or the 'guitar face'. Those elements are incidental to the music.

BUT

Music on the level Brandon is describing is SHOW BUSINESS, not just PICKING. Cut the guy some slack, especially if he was doing a good job covering the parts in between gyrations. He was probably told to do so by some producer or agent. Whether you like the style or the artist personally or not, there is clearly a large contingent of concert-goers who do. Whether it qualifies in your dictionary as country or not, they are the ones the shows are produced to please, not some curmudgeons on the Steel Guitar Forum who don't seem to even live in the same world where those who attend the show live. Maybe it's all for the best. Live and let live.

It really IS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC.
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 7:29 am     Guss what its called showmanship

If it was just some road player gigin for Jason Aldean who never looked up or smiled then we wouldnt even be discussing this event. That is what that behavior is designed to do.. Draw attention to the show and give people something to remember... Which is just what we are doing by posting about it now. Bottom line it helps sell the product (or artist and his records). I have no problem with it. Its just like wearing good cloths for stage presence instead of raggy tee shirts and dirty jeans. The average fan who goes to a show wants to see good showmanship and dress almost as much as someone who has exceptional musical ability. Its all part of the complete package. Lots a musicians dont get this.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 7:37 am    

You mean like this curmudgeon? All dressed up and making a guitar face ……Shocked

JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 7:40 am    

YEah theres always gonna be exceptions to what I just said like Willie Nelson... Good Point
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 8:27 am    

There's nothing cool about acting like a rock star because you were told to.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 8:30 am    

Well said, Brett!
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 8:36 am    

Quote:
It really IS ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC.

I disagree. It is ALL ABOUT THE SHOW.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 9:07 am    

Apparently you don't spend enough time on the forum....or maybe I spend TOO much Cool
Here's a previous post about same. The end.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=194698&highlight=jason+aldean+steel
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 9:31 am    

It's to the point now that, if you're paying over $10 to be there, you probably aren't getting your money's worth unless it comes with dinner.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 10:22 am    

Quote:
Apparently you don't spend enough time on the forum....or maybe I spend TOO much

No, Kevin, I spend too much time on the Forum. This may be another case of what goes around comes around. Oh Well
Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 10:38 am    

Move with the times !

His having fun on stage, nothing wrong with that.
Personally would not do that as it would mess my playing up, but hey its fun when you are having fun on stage !

www.georgettejones.net

Last edited by Jamie Lennon on 22 Mar 2011 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Gary Watson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 10:39 am     I Don't Get It....

Hey.....I love it! Now, that traditional country music has been moved to the "back burner"..I have gone to see, in recent months, some of the best musicians, playing some of the best traditional country, for only a FIVE DOLLAR, cover charge!! So I'm happy with the people that want to pay $85 for guitars spinning and "showmanship", I'll settle for the $5, and "TRUE TALENT", and musicians playing only for the simple reason, they love the music! GW Very Happy
Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 10:44 am    

I've seen video of Buddy Emmons, in his younger years, playing his steel behind his back and other unconventional ways (details of which escape me.) I wasn't particularly impressed by that "showmanship", but I certainly don't think any less highly of BE's immense abilities and contributions to the steel guitar world for having tried to please the crowd.

I'm not a showman on stage, and have no plans to try to feign a behavior that is so foreign to me. But the general public, particularly the younger crowd, certainly responds to that stuff. Maybe we should cut this steel player some slack. We steel players should judge him by his playing, and ignore the theatrics.
JR Ross

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 11:03 am    

Good point Paul.. I agree with you.. I also know that steel guitar is (for the most part)a stationary instrument.. It is hard for our beloved instrument to get a lot of visual exposure and we have seen the Steel suffer from poor exposure over the years especially with the younger crowd. Just look at how much less it is used in current country songs. At least that guy who playes barefoot and rocks it on its leggs is getting younger generations to notice it a little more... Im 60 years old and have done this all my life .. I used to jump off the stage with my harmonica solos in between setting down at my Steel guitar. Anything that will get people to stand up and notice what we do will help insure the longevity of our instrument. More power to people who want to entertain and be showmen as well as play theit instrument well. It all adds to the performance and sells the product...
John Clark

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2011 11:10 am    

THE STEELER AT THAT SHOW IN HOUSTON COULD VERY WELL HAVE BEEN DOING WHAT SOME PRODUCER TOLD HIM TO DO, OR IT MAY COME NATURALLY TO HIM TO BE ABLE TO PLAY HIS PARTS AND MOVE AROUND LIKE THAT. A 3RD POSSIBILITY IS THAT HE WASN'T PLAYING TO BEGIN WITH. A FEW YEARS BACK I SAW A NATIONALLY KNOWN NASHVILLE BASED ENTERTAINER WITH A 7 PIECE BAND, NONE OF WHOM WERE REALLY PLAYING. IT WAS ALL RECORDED TRACKS. THEY WERE DRESSED NICE, THOUGH. JOHN.