| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best pre-amp
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 2:25 pm    

What's the best pre-amp out there right now for steel guitar that has Amp simulation for an ampless situation??

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 6:53 pm    

The Pod XT seems to be the one most people use. In the studio I use a Pod Pro with Lexicon MX200 for reverb and whatever . I use my Nashville 112 in front of the pod into the line in input. I've also used this setup on a tv program and live. I use the amp for a monitor when I do this. I use the Vox AC30 amp simulation.

Tony
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 10:34 am    

I've gone directly into the board from a Revelation pre amp and Demeter Real Reverb. It sounded very good.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 12:27 pm    

I use a POD XT (which is no longer being made, but has been replaced by a newer model called the X3,) and one of Tommy Dodd's mounting brackets that clip on the leg of my steel. It is very convenient, as everything is a there in a compact and easy to use package that allows the user to tweak his/her settings on the fly.

The POD is certainly a professional quality unit, more than adequate for our needs, but probably is not the very best. Chas' setup is probably better.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 12:33 pm    

Thanks gents... chas, any Amp simulation with that unit?
I have been with pod xt for 7 years now and we have an ampless stage, i'm happy but always looking at other possiblities about every 5 years or so.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 12:48 pm    

Like Chas I quite often go direct from my Revelation rack -- sounds pretty good... the new Telonics preamp is a pretty smart unit as well and well worth consideration.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 12:49 pm    

Thanks paddy, do any of these have amp simulation?? I go ampless so need some tone.....

Freezing weather here, hows the sunshine??

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2011 2:48 pm    

Boss VF-1....Affordable, sounds great, and has anything you would need.
Bob Simons

Kansas City, Mo, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 12:54 pm    

I use a Boss GT-Pro rack unit- preamp, amp modeling, effects-everything Boss can do in one box. (To tell you the truth I end up using a little delay unless I need R&R sounds.)

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2011 1:22 pm    

Quote:
Thanks gents... chas, any Amp simulation with that unit?

No. Amp simulation most likely means digital manipulation. I have a Vox Valvetronics VTX amplifier that does a nice job of amp simulation, but in the studio, I can hear the "digital".

In a recording situation, because my playing ability isn't "top shelf", I have to sound better and on the last 2 sessions, that were traditional, and not death metal, I used the Rev Pre with the Demeter and my D-11 wraparound.

I did have a session, here in my studio, that was kind of traditional, except they wanted "floating steel guitar", but for tunes like "Body and Soul". "Normal" floating guitar doesn't work for things like Body and Soul, but by varying the amounts of delay and density, depending on the song, they seemed to be happy.

For that I used my VHT SIG:X into an Eventide H3000 and/or an Eventide H8000. The preamp of the VHT (now Fryette), which I can isolate, has a lot of control from clean to putting "whiskers" on the sound to full grind.
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 3:41 pm    

Larry you will get all the tone you need from the Revelation Pre - no modelling required !
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 7:28 pm    

Larry, I have been a beta tester for the new Telonics preamp that will be showcasing in Dallas. It was originally dubbed, "The Ultimate Pre" and in my experience, it is just that. It is night and day compared to anything on the market at this moment. We are talking boutique quality gear.

This unit has stereo direct outs with totally linear analog circuitry throughout.....including amp modeling on the direct outs.....which incidentally has some of the best speaker simulation I have ever used.

There is a switchable Dobro simulator, switchable hum reduction for those using single coil pickups....not ground lifting....I am talking hum cancellation circuitry. It also has an onboard headphone amp with volume control....onboard reverb, effects patching with a mix knob so you can dial in the amount of effect you want while retaining your clean direct signal. There is also a second channel for those steelers who double on fiddle, guitar, etc.. Best of all, this preamp's midrange is voiced for steel guitar.....even better than their earlier releases.

The features are too numerous to mention in the time I have to type, but every player needs to experience this preamp before deciding on their next amp purchase. I will be demonstrating it in Dallas, so feel free to look me up.

I am currently recording a CD featuring myself, Richard Comeaux, and Murnel Babineaux that should be available in Dallas. It is being mixed as I am typing this. The entire CD was recorded direct using this preamp. We are talking 3 different steel players with 3 different picking techniques all recording through the same preamp. So far it has been getting the thumbs up, but don't take my word for it. I can post some snippets off of the new CD if someone can explain to me how to upload MP3 files and you all can let your own ears be the judge.
Thanks!!!

Joe Rogers
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 8:16 pm    

Joe, this sounds killer, How about for live work, hooking straight to a 'P.A 'NO AMPS ON STAGE' ANALOGUE excites me of course!! ... You got my ears baby!!

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 8:41 pm    

Quote:
I can post some snippets off of the new CD if someone can explain to me how to upload MP3 files and you all can let your own ears be the judge.

Joe you can upload your .mp3 snippets here.....
http://picosong.com/
and link it to the Forum. You can't upload audio or video directly to the Forum. You have to have a Host Site.
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 8:51 pm    

Larry, there's a unit with your name on it, this thing will give you exactly what you are looking for hooked direct to the PA.

Roger, thanks for the upload link. Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to do any work on it tonight, but will have MP3's up here by tomorrow night.

Stay tuned......

Joe Rogers
Dave Beaty

Mesa, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 10:23 pm     Direct Out information for the PRE1000

Larry, I just saw this thread and it’s pretty late tonight. To specifically address your question, the Direct out capability for the PRE1000 includes Stereo XLR outs with ground lift and selectable types of analog modeling specific to only the direct outs, and a wide range level control which is calibrated for standard studio output levels, as well as variable attenuation down to -30 dBU (which is MICrophone level), allowing it to interface properly to the input side of house systems which are not otherwise equipped. The stereo direct outs are fully buffered from the rest of the amp, and are short circuit and heavy load protected such that an XLR "Y" cable may be used as a combiner to interface to smaller house systems which can only accommodate a MONO input. These pre’s are VERY, very quiet. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to email you technical data, feature lists and/or a preliminary usage manual when I get into the Telonics Laboratories in the morning. Just send your email address to me at dave@telonics.com

They offer enhanced John LeMay voicing with added control range, enhanced EFX routing and control and are available with either a US domestic power supply or an international version with a full set of AC mains prongs (and it makes no loud noise when some clod kicks the power cord out of the wall…). This is a lightweight 1U size third generation preamp which incorporates everything our engineering teams have learned from the first two Telonics-LeMay preamp models as well as the comments, suggestions and features from last years TSGA preamp study group and newly developed circuitry innovations. For those who want to put together a very light, high power mini-rack or combo amp, it interfaces to either a companion MONO power amp or a full STEREO power amplifier; both are also lightweight 1U size units. Both power amplifiers also power the preamp and Telonics pedals. The STEREO model has white LED flex lighting for dark venues.
On a personal note, I really needed these systems for my own use because I can no longer lift and pack my big steel and 6-string guitar gear around to gigs due to a combination of age and accumulated injuries.
A true story is that while tearing down after a gig some months ago, I looked and my mini-rack holding prototypes of this amp gear had gone missing. Concerned, I asked the guys in the band if they had seen it. They said “your Mother took it out to your truck a few minutes ago”. I said, "my Mom has been gone for 20 years". They said, well it was a little old gray-haired lady; we thought it was your Mother. I went to the door, looked outside and saw the little old lady standing out by my truck, holding my rack with one hand. As I walked up to her she said; “we really enjoyed your music, I just wanted to help”. I thanked her very much, and as I drove away, I said, “YES”, I knew that I finally had a rig which could be roadied by a little old lady, so I might now be able to once again carry my gear! With the PRE1000, power amp, Lexicon EFX unit, the rack itself, heavy gauge output cables, AC power cord, AUXilliary input cable, light bar, etc; it weighed in under 25 pounds. I have been playing it for about 6 months and I am really enjoying it. A number of players will be using them in the Texas show, afterward they will be hand-carried back to several countries across the ponds, several beta testers will have them around the show and units will be set up on steels - available for everyone to play in the new Telonics room on the ground level of the Sheraton Hotel. Well, I’m getting bleary-eyed; better hit the hay for tonight. Best to all,
Dave
Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 3:04 am    

Larry,

Sorry for the book.....There are many options available, so the best for me really depends on the type of gig....Checking out what's available is a fun journey...... I own two Walker stereosteel rack mounted amps. Its sonic versatility at any volume may be a possible resolution....Walker's preamp portion would be even lighter...the rack mounted amp weighs about 15 lbs maybe a little more.....If weight is an issue.

I'm assuming you're looking for something for those direct moments possibly in the studio.........If that's the case.....Google ETHOS preamp. I received mine a few months back.....Its actually a vintage sounding amplifier head in stomp box size. They provide audio clips. Weighs maybe a pound.......Dale Sellers loves his.....Sorry this is not much of a review....The Lil Walter has me so inspired, its hard to get my head into experimenting with this new pedal.....I can say the ETHOS sounded great at the house..I bought it for the times when an engineer insists he only wants a direct tone....Have not had that type of call lately......To my ears ETHOS sounds like a deluxe with some Vox variations.

These are great times for amplification.....I remember when our choices were far less.........If Joe Rogers loves and recommends this new Telonics it may be exactly what the doctor ordered..........I received my pod right after it came out in LA...Its great for a small compact rig and gets very close to the sounds they model, but when I plug in the real amps there is a difference......Sounds like the Telonics is a needed advancement to the technology....I know Joe doesn't brag on products unless he really believes in them.......I'll certainly come by to listen.

Paul
Marvin Born

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 12:18 pm     Telonics pre amp

Mr. Franklin,

I have a pre production version of the Telonics Pre 1000, pre-amp. It is installed in a four bay rack along with the matching PA-200 power amp, a Lexicon MPX-1 and a Peterson Rack tuner. I also have the Telonics Dobro Bar for use with the "BRO" function.

If you like I can bring it to the seminar in Dallas for your use and inspection. We will be arriving in Dallas Wed evening if you want to see it earlier.

I will also have it along when I attend the Station Inn Time Jumpmers show on Monday. If you would like to try it out in Nashville, let me know. We are scheduled to arrive in Nashville around 3 PM on Monday. That time is free until the Time Jumpers.

I will have a pair of 12" Black Widows mounted in ported cabinets along on the trip if needed. The Telonics power amp will operate with 4 or 8 ohm loads if you want to use your own speakers.

Marvin Born
Columbus, OH

Marvin Born
Paddy Long

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 2:34 pm    

Joe thanks very much for your review of the PRE1000, I am so looking forward to getting my one after the Dallas show.. along with the stereo power amp.
I won't be at Dallas this year due to music committments and the earthquake - but Ivan is bringing it all home for me from Dave !
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 7:14 pm    

Paddy, I was SO glad to finally hear you were OK. Thoughts & prayers with you and your friends & family. I have been through hurricanes....disasters are tough.

Paul, you are right....these ARE great times for amplification. I have not experimented with the ETHOS, I am always looking for that ultimate overdrive unit. Nor have I heard the Lil Walter amps....would love to hear those. Gorgeous cabinets!!

I was a beta tester on the original LeMay stuff, and their equipment has now evolved into fabulous gear. Believe it or not, me and my partner in sound down here found that the LeMay sounded better on 12" speakers, yet the newer Telonics Ultimate Pre sounded better on 15" speakers. But, different ears may hear different qualities.

Dave previously mentioned, "Both power amplifiers also power the preamp and Telonics pedals." I wanted to elaborate on this. Instead of having to keep the AC adaptor power cables folded up, there are plug-to-plug electric cords that go from the power amp to the preamp.....tucked within your rack. The other smaller plug-to-plug cable goes from the power amp front to the volume pedal. Very nifty. There is one AC outlet behind the power amp that can power your effects unit...very self contained.

I would like to add that I do not work for the company, so am not getting paid to toot their horn. Like I mentioned, I have seen this gear evolve and the two things I like about the company are: 1. They REALLY listen to player's suggestions and 2. They firmly believe in getting it right. Yes, this is boutique gear meaning it is not cheap. I honestly don't know what the new preamp will sell for, but I do know for a fact that the speaker simulation in this unit compares almost identically to mono units that I know cost $175 apiece....and this is stereo. A good dobro simulator runs a minimum of $250. So we are talking $600 worth of perks not counting the voicing of the preamp. The very first time Richard Comeaux tried it out was when we started this recording project. The first words out of his mouth were, "I don't care what this thing costs, I have to have one." That seems to be the consensus with everyone who has tried out this new preamp.

Larry, I am not steering you in any direction. There are a lot of great choices out there. Everyone has unique needs in gear, and I always believe a player should get what works for him/her.

Like I mentioned last night, I am in the process of uploading some audio files. Hope to have some available within the next hour.

Joe Rogers
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 8:06 pm    

I have posted 5 song snippets from our upcoming CD, "Cajun Connection" so you can hear the recorded sound of the new Telonics Pre 1000. Three different steel players all playing on Rittenberry guitars....Serial # 58, 59, & 60. Smile All three guitars using a Telonics volume pedal and recorded direct from the Telonics Pre 1000.

Keep in mind all but Nameless Shuffle are ROUGH mixes. Our project is being mixed right now....by a pro. Even though I am decent at front end recording, I am NOT a pro at mixing...nowhere close. Laughing Certain levels are peaked, it is not in the original recording, but rather my rough mix.

Murnel recorded Buddy's Nameless Shuffle and it was the first cut to be mixed. I am offshore and will not get to hear on decent speakers till Thursday. Here are the links:

Workin Man Blues (ending)

http://picosong.com/5SG

I Fall To Pieces (Richard Comeaux)

http://picosong.com/5SM

Summertime by George Gershwin --2 solos crossfaded, both on steel (Joe Rogers)

http://picosong.com/56F

Pamala (Joe Rogers)

http://picosong.com/562

Nameless Shuffle (Murnel Babineaux)

http://picosong.com/56C

Joe Rogers
Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 9:34 pm    

Marvin and Joe,

Marvin, Thanks for the offer...Joe,...I listened to the clips and it sounds good, looking forward to hearing it live at your booth.......I'll be using my Lil Walter this year at the seminar......And like you, I do not work for, nor do I get any commissions from the sales of the Lil' Walter 50/50.....Phil's amp has inspired me more than anything I have ever tried and when Vince told me about him, his words were "he listens".......Finding someone like Phil that understands the pro's and cons of the older designs is rare .....I was already in love with his initial 50 watt amp and asked him if he could boost the power without changing anything with the tone I was getting in the studio. A month or so after we met, he calls me out of the blue and says, Hey Buddy I think I've got something for you to try........We tweaked it over a few trials and I am really excited over the tones I get from this amp.

Here's a live sound clip with Vince....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQEewNmuHrM

In case you did not know....the ETHOS is more than a distortion pedal....Its actually an amp that provides clean and distortion tones......Its pretty cool and the only hitch....the back order is a year and a half.......Anyway not to hijack this thread........We can visit more at the show...........Paul
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 1:30 am    

Hey Paul, the Steel sounds really nice, those singers that are backing you up sound pretty good as well !

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 6:51 am    

Check out the Sansamp Blondie pedal. All kinds of Fenderish tones available...
Affordable, sounds great. I managed to turn a few guys here onto it last summer, including Randy Beavers.
Olli Haavisto

Jarvenpaa,Finland
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 6:57 am    

Check out the Sansamp Blondie pedal. All kinds of Fenderish tones available...
Affordable, sounds great. I managed to turn a few guys here onto it last summer, including Randy Beavers.
Here`s a link to that thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1575038&highlight=#1575038