| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A day with Charlie Louvin
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 6:39 am    

I wanted to share this with others.
I'm a finger style player and heard Charlie Louvin was wanting to put a band together so I e mailed him.
this was in september of 2005 we talked back and forth he gave me his cell and home number I called him and told him I played a lot like Paul Yandell.
If anyone knows Charlie they will tell you about his wit. "well all I have heard is how good you SAY you are when are you going to come show me"?.
You say when.
I drove to Manchester tennessee Charlie met me at a Shoneys restaurant in manchest along with his Wife Betty,I have played with other Nashville stars but the Louvins were ALWAYS my favorite,My Dad wore Out
the Family who prays on Sunday Mornings,River of Jordan... as well as Tragic songs of life.
Charlies wife got up and was going Shopping Charlie stands up and said"Betty Me and Billy boy are going to the House",I was thrilled,Charlie gets into My Truck it had never been smoked in until then:)..
I spent the WHOLE day with him,He told me stories of him and Ira one about Ira getting punched by a jealous hubby that had asked Ira to dance with her...
Charlie gave me about 13 or 14 Louvin CD's.. I told him I didn't bring enough to pay him,"I gave them to you Billy Boy"..I stayed with him until almost midnight I had driven from west of Indpls about 60 miles and been up about 22 hours,,I went to my room Charlie called about 9am, Billy Boy...Ya want to have breakfast with me?... Continued
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 6:57 am     Part 2

Charlie called me that morning after we went to Cracker Barrell in Manchester.While we were eating some guy comes to our table, "Are you charlie Louvin"
Yes sir that would be Me...then the guy said "Do you remember me?I was at a concert of Louvins in 1958..
Charlie got this look, uhhhh no sir I don't think I do",the guy talked a cpl minutes then left,Charlie made a comment....Bill can you believe these ,,,,,
that think you can remember them almost 60 years later:).
I returned home Charlie called me He knew a family member was in Medical field He ask if I could get him a favor(I cannot get into this). It was something not available to Charlie. i checked and said yes i could get it. If you can get it down to me Billy Boy:),I will make it well worth your while.
we went to Louvin Museum Satuday after thanksgiving,
Charlie kept his word,It rained like cats and dogs on Thanksgiving week end in Nashville in 2005..
He said Billy Boy watch the Museum I need to go across street,Hecomes back and said We were his guest at the Opry tonight.,A cpl hours later he comes out in a tuxedo...and said follow me,We go to Opry houseHe goes around to back section,He got us in BACKSTAGE at the OPRY!. Now at the time this was my first time there period,We had a time, I can tell you the coffee is strong the fruit punch is sweet:).
A Lady with Betty Louvin that evening asked Charlie to take pictures of Her and Marty Stuart.
Marty made a comment right away and said, "Thats a MIGHTY FAMOUS Cameraman you have there",That gave me great respect for Marty Stuart to recognize Charlie like that.We spent most of that Saturday with him also, I miss Charlie a LOT! I talked to him right before the Cancer was discovered,He liked our Q back Peyton Manning... bye Charlie Your friends..He also gave my wife a Louvin tribute album signed by him, it would never be for sale... RIP to a great man!.
Charley Adair

Maxwell, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 8:22 am    

Thanks for the story, Bill.
Bill Howard

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 4:01 pm     Thank You

Charley Adair wrote:
Thanks for the story, Bill.

charley thank you I decided I was to old for the road again...maybe 20 years ago i would do it in a minute. Me and Charlie just sort of hit it off, He told me stories I would never repeat not bad just really personal I felt honored this legend of our Musical heritage would share his inner thoughts and time with me. At one point he actually looked at me and said, "Bill sometimes I even wonder if people even know who I am.." I looked at him and said Charlie "Your a living Legend", His comment a quiet
"glad you think so billy boy")..my comment.....I know so:).
he cared about others,We were at Bob Evans of course Charlie smoked a lot,My Wife had gotten us a table in No smoking section Charlie came in and set down with us,the waitress said Charlie why are you in this section, :Bills Wife Jill is a no smoker and it bothers her"this is fine":)He kind of winked at me...