| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  newbee question
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 9:30 pm    

Is is any easier to learn to play a lap steel first then go to the pedal steel?
James Maxwell

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 4:06 am    

There are many skills that are tranferable between lap steel and pedal steel: using finger picks, proper bar control, intonation (playing in tune), volume pedal technique, and learning the general concept of steel tunings (lap steel would be using a current tuning than pedal steel however). That said, they are two different instruments. Many people start on a lap steel because they are substantially cheaper, less commitment. I don't think its a bad idea to pick one up and start practicing good technique and tone, then decide if you want to take the plunge with pedals.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 5:42 am    

There is a lot of difference in techniques. I'm an "old school" lap player in that I played lap steel in the 50's. When I started on Pedal Steel in 1969 I didn't have a problem with the finger picks, but that was all. The bar in lap steels is generally a Stevens bar or something similar. Pedal steeler's use a round bar. The technique in lap steel was to mute with the left hand and pickup the bar and move it to wherever you want to go. The basic technique with a pedal steel is to mute with the right hand and slide the bar to the new position.

If you want to play pedal steel I would say start with it. You are in the KC area and they have a new steel club there. You can talk to the steeler's and get their opinions. The jams are held at Roger Hurst's garage in Independence. There is an announcement here on the forum about the next jam on Jan 16.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 9:31 am    

I definitely credit my dobro then lap steel playin as basic as it was with givin me a head start when I started learnin pedal steel.
Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2011 5:26 pm    

For what it is worth,my opinion is if you tried out both, a lap steel and a pedal steel you would be more likely to decide on a pedal steel.

You will find much more instructional material for pedal steel than lap steel.

There are many more good instructors for pedal steel
than there is for lap steel...my opinion

There are many more exceptional players playing pedal steel than there are playing lap steel.

There is no comparison in the versitility between the two instruments.

If you got good enough to play a lap steel exceptionally well and attended most any of the big shows,you will usually find the lap steel players playing in a back room somewhere instead of on the main stage. If you see one on stage he is not your average lap steel player. I love lap steel and started out playing one. Pedal steel music and instruments are what sell in the real steel guitar world. I say this with all respect to some great lap steel players and friends of mine. I feel many of them would even agree with many of the things I mentioned above.

My strong reccommendation is ,if money is not a factor don't look back Go with the pedal ssteel. If you learn to play it you will never regret it.

Whoop's got so busy spouting of I didn't answer you Question: You might find it easier to learn lap steel. Lap steels seems to have made a comeback. Some goods ones being built,even some by the pedal manufacturers.