| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  I'm Stupid, please close this down, Joey.
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 3:59 pm    

I don't understand how this is possible. Confused

I'm running a 100 watt Reeves Custom 100 tube amp with two tubes pulled, with the impedance set at half the cabinet's ohm rating. So that makes a 50 watt amp running into 400 watts of speaker power.
The speakers are sounding distorted when more than one string is ringing, this amp should be totally clean. I haven't even been playing loud at all, either.
Are pedal steel pickups that powerful? I don't get it.

Last edited by Tim Heidner on 15 Nov 2010 8:02 am; edited 2 times in total
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 5:47 pm    

Your speakers may not be blown. There are other things that could give those symptons. Something simple--check your chords, make sure there is no issues--make sure they are plugged in all the way. Try going directly into the amp--bypass any effects pedals and your volume pedal.If you are using an effects pedal, a weak battery will act like that. It's a proccess of elimination. Might even be a bad tube.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 8:28 pm    

As James says - make sure it's the speakers before you freak out. You need to rule out everything else in the signal chain.

It is inconceivable to me that a 50 watt amp, running properly, could have blown two EVM-12L speakers unless something was wrong with them in the first place. I routinely run a 300 watt bass amp into a single EVM-12L and crank it, without a peep. But one thing that speakers can't handle is a DC current signal - that could kill them if run at high-current for anything but a short length of time.

So if you find that the speakers are indeed dead, I suggest you figure out what's going on with the amp before plugging it into a new set of speakers.
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 8:39 pm    

Well, I had already done everything James suggested except a different cord, I guess I can always hope till I can get a chance to try that tomorrow, but they sure sound blown to me.
I put the two tubes in that I hadn't been using and bypassed all the pedals but it still sounded bad.
I never had a problem with this setup till I started playing pedal steel into it.
I emailed Bill at Reeves and he said there wouldn't be a problem pulling two tubes...
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2010 8:52 pm    

Hook up an Ohmmeter to the speaker terminals and see if you get a proper reading. Every EVM-12L speaker I've encountered was 8 Ohms nominal impedance at 1000 Hz, and read in the vicinity of 6.5 Ohms DC resistance via an Ohmmeter. If they're a different nominal impedance (e.g., 4 or 16 Ohms), the DC resistance is typically in the range of about 75-80% of the nominal impedance. If the speakers are open (essentially infinite resistance) or shorted (near zero resistance in Ohms), they're shot and not suitable to try in an amp..

If the resistance checks out OK, try plugging them into a known, good amp. If you have a known good, let's say, Session/Nashville 400 or something like that - rule out the tube amp first.

If they were working properly before and are blown now, I would suspect a problem with the amp, and get that checked out before I tried any other speakers with it. If the amp checks out OK, I would suspect that there was something wrong with the speakers previously. I have a hard time picturing how a properly running 50 watt amp could have possibly blown a good pair of EVM-12L speakers. I suppose it's possible, but I have a hard time imagining it if there was not already something wrong with them.
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2010 7:12 am    

Few speakers can take punishment like good 'ole EV "L" series. Even with steel guitar pickups.
Jim Peters

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2010 4:18 pm    

plug something else into the amp. Your steel could be distorting the input stage of your amp. Try reg. guitar or cd player. Jp

St. Louis, Missouri, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2010 4:19 pm    

plug something else into the amp. Your steel could be distorting the input stage of your amp. Try reg. guitar or cd player. Jp

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2010 9:59 am    

I believe that's what it was, I had recently started plugging into the hot input for some reason and didn't snap that might be doing it till yesterday after I tried replacing all the preamp tubes one at a time. Rolling Eyes
I think they were just farting out from too much signal, as Jim says. Sounds OK with the Telecaster plugged in.
Why do they make steel pickups so hot?
Curt Langston

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2010 6:14 pm    

Quote:
Why do they make steel pickups so hot?

So that when you are nearing the end of sustain on a string, or group of strings, you may increase your volume pedal to keep the volume up. Without a "hot" pickup, this would be impossible. Steel guitar pickups are designed to be super sensitive for this reason.