| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SGF Members Showcase CD-R Project
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 12:22 pm    

Here's the idea. A lot of songs can fit on a CD if you use the MP3 format. With one song per member, we can easily showcase 50 members on a single CD-R disc. I can compile the disc from submissions on audio CD's, guaranteeing consistent levels and MP3 encoding formats. We can even include a PDF file on the disk with extensive liner notes for every song. Sales of the CD at $10 each will support and promote the forum.

It will cost $10 to join the project, which includes a copy of the finished CD-R. To get involved, make a CD of your song and mail it with the submission form. Send no money - you will be billed $10 when you receive the finished CD.

The song should be an original steel guitar instrumental. You can submit it on an audio CD, or on a data CD in WAV or AIFF format with a text file for liner notes.

Here's the link to the submission form:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/showcase.pdf

Print it, fill it out and mail it with your CD to become part of the Showcase CD-R project.

Last edited by b0b on 8 Nov 2010 12:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 12:51 pm    

Note that I cannot accept submissions for this project via email. The files would be too big for my mailbox. The easiest way for me to manage a project this big is to accumulate a stack of CDs and process them one-by-one with the application forms.

I think this will be a dynamite compilation of tunes. We have a lot of talent here. I can't wait to hear what people come up with.

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 1:26 pm    

Cool
Peavey Guitars
Travis Hillis

Nashville TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 2:39 pm    

Oh this sounds great Very Happy
Steve Raulston

U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 4:39 pm    

b0b, is there a deadline for the entry of material? Thank you Sir! Very Happy
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 5:40 pm    

No deadline. When I get enough material to make the CD, I'll make it. Probably about 50 or 60 songs, I figure. From then on (assuming success), new submissions will go in the queue for Volume 2.

Limited to one song per member, to keep anyone from hogging tracks.

Britain
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 10:01 pm    

What about using 'YouSendIt', a free service that can accept files up to 100 meg ?

I use it to send steel guitar tracks as wav files, which is a better format than mp3.

It can be converted to mp3 at the other end, to keep audio losses to a minimum.

https://www.yousendit.com/
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2010 10:18 pm    

I need a CD and the printed form for each submission. Otherwise, there would be too much potential for mistakes.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 9:25 am    

b0b wrote:
No deadline. When I get enough material to make the CD, I'll make it. Probably about 50 or 60 songs, I figure. From then on (assuming success), new submissions will go in the queue for Volume 2...

Good idea, then we don't have to consider it a rush job. Cool

What are you going to do with the well-intentioned submissions that sound awful ? Rolling Eyes
Barry Hyman

upstate New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 9:39 am    

bOb, this is a wonderful idea, both for us steel players and for the Forum. I already had plans to go into the studio a couple of weeks from now; I will send you something that should not hurt anybody's ears too much, I hope. Thanks!
I give music lessons on several different instruments in Cambridge, NY (between Bennington, VT and Albany, NY). But my true love is pedal steel. I've been obsessed with steel since 1972; don't know anything I'd rather talk about... www.barryhyman.com
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 10:23 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
What are you going to do with the well-intentioned submissions that sound awful ? Rolling Eyes

I won't make any judgments about the music. I will normalize the volume level and maybe add a bit of EQ if a track is radically dark or bright compared to others.

I hope that people don't submit anything that is really bad technically (excessive noise, hum, etc.). Keep in mind that a lot of people listen with earbuds these days. Bad recordings are really annoying when they're in your head.

You don't have to be a great player to participate. This is open to all forum members, regardless of skill level. We're not a tough room; we've all been through a really steep learning curve. We can all appreciate each others' best efforts.

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2010 10:10 pm     Hi

b0b.... That's a great idea.
As Richard says, sending large files like wave is as easy as sending an email.
Do you really want to get all this plastic coming through your mailbox when the technology is here not to post things around the world? The form can be emailed too.
Anyway, you're the b0ss, and if that's the way you prefer to compile the songs for this project, then it's ok with me.

Re- original instrumentals only...that's an even better idea.. That will get our brains working, we all try to copy others while learning, which is fine of course, but composing our own instrumentals from scratch is going to to be something for us all to try.

There are some pro players who may already have something recorded that I would hope they would send to you also, this is potentially a fantastic fund raising method with something in return for us all at the end.

Well done Sir b0b.

It's Sunday today, and I am in the studio recording today therefore I will start on something today.

many regards to you,

You better start clearing your desk, you will need a lot of room to pile up the plastic coming you way from us forumites.

David.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 9:38 am    

Liner notes should include the names of musicians on the track and any details about the steel guitar that you would like to share.

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 5:45 pm    

This looks like a fun project. With all new compositions, as David said, there won't be any copying of existing styles and runs, and we'll avoid the problem of copyright. Cool We should get a lot of originality out of it.
basilh

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 6:05 pm    

A great idea b0b, please leave room for me...
Quote:
The song should be an original steel guitar instrumental.

I see you'll need a waiver of copyright specifically for use on this CD. That should be no problem to anyone submitting.

Is it limited to TOTALLY original compositions composed by the performer, or would you allow compositions by other than the performer, assigned to the player by the composer ?..

Did you see the short section in "Stargate Universe" last week, where some of the crew were on a 'bus in Cloverdale ?

Steelies do it without fretting

CLICK THIS to view my tone bars and buyรขโ‚ฌโ€รขโ‚ฌโ€>
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 6:17 pm    

B0b,I should have something for you next week. Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 9:22 pm    

I believe that the language on the form is adequate, Basil. Free free to add to it if you want to be more specific in granting a copyright waiver.

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2010 11:18 pm    

b0b, that's an absolutely brilliant idea! Very Happy
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 8:30 am    

Sorry to rain on your parade.

You guys must be mad to put original material on the air without any protection whatsoever.....

The cons to this scheme are too many to go into now, suffice to say it's best Bob discusses this with a reputable Entertainment Contracts Lawyer, before proceeding.
You're dealing with intellectual rights, needle time, Mechanical Rights, and a host of other rights and dos and donts.

As a registered music publisher. I tend to look out for the rights of the composers. This scheme is just far too open ended.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 9:41 am    

Who said anything about putting it on the air? This is an MP3 CD. Did you read the submission form, Nic?

Considering the size of the market for original steel guitar instrumentals (minuscule, if my own ASCAP account is any indicator), I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

As I said to Basil, if you want more specific legal language, feel free to include it with your submission form. You can also include specific restrictions in your liner notes. Or you can choose not to participate at all if it worries you.

I take offense at the use of the word "scheme".

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:32 am    

Yeah, I read the submission form.....hence my reply.
The facts still remain......No protection for the composer/performer, and the 'waiver' too open ended.

Sorry for the semantics.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:45 am    

I've got to go with Nick on this one. On the surface it may seem trivial, but it's really not.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 10:53 am    

Feel free to suggest alternate wording. I participated in another community CD project that had a similar clause, and all of the artists and songwriters were satisfied with the results.

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 11:06 am    

I don't know how anyone could consider the wavier to be dangerous when b0b has stated:
Quote:
"if you want more specific legal language, feel free to include it with your submission form"

Excellent idea, b0b!
I'll be sending a submission.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2010 11:07 am    

b0b, FWIW, the word "scheme" is used differently in British English vs. American English, and does not have the nefarious connotation that we in the States associate with it. In fact, in the UK they talk about things like an "insurance scheme" (which is definitely not intended to mean "insurance scam"!). It just means "arrangement", nothing more or less.