| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6th question
Doug Rottier

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 4:20 pm    

I want to learn the 6th tuning I play classic country. There are many tuning which one should I use
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 5:28 pm    

Doug
you first need to understand what the term 6th means for example for C6th that means there is a ( A)note the 6th tone of the C scale. where as E9th is of course the 9th note of a scale since more people are used to hearing the 7th or 9th sound in music most of hank williams stuff was 7th tuning. you should ask yourself what would I want to play the most of. then go from there. as for the 6th tuning its full sounding more made for swing one might say.hope someone else chimes in and I am not alone here. Joe

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 6:22 pm     Thanks for the info

Joseph

Ok let me ask you this. I have a BMI D10 should I stick with learning the E9 or change to the c6th for the classic country I play. I would like to learn both but I can't seem to find much info on the c6th
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 6:56 pm    

Loads of C6th instruction out there, franklin/steiner you name it. Google brings up quite a lot on that.

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 7:20 pm    

Doug
thats the nice thing about double necks you can play in both worlds and trust me they are two different worlds. I would stick to the E9th for a while and in the mean time learn some therory as well for that is a big key for any instrument. jeff newman has a great course and also herby wallace has several C6th courses as well. buddy emmons had a real nice one years ago and he talks so smooth easy to understand what he teaches.

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 30 May 2010 8:30 pm    

What do you mean by "classic country"? Depending on one's perspective, that could be pure E9th, or pure C6th, or ?

When I think of "classic country" I think of Buck Owens and Merle Haggard (perhaps because of living on the West Coast). The steel in their music is almost all E9th.

You possibly/probably have a different idea of what "classic country" is. What songs and artists have the style of steel playing you want to duplicate/copy/emulate?
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 12:13 am    

C6 (with the G on top), even without the pedals, can be real good for playing songs by Hank and Lefty and those that followed that style, I think.

You can start working pedals in; standard pedal C6 seems particulary designed to get intervals along the traditional slants of non-pedal.

Pedal 6 is your friend.
Paul Crawford

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 2:52 pm    

While most C6th players do eventually end up playing a dual neck, you should remember most of those "classic" country recordings were done on non-pedal guitar.

Instead of choosing either another guitar or modifying your E9th, why not consider picking up a 6 or 8 string non-pedal, tuning it to your choice of 6th tunings, and learn the basics without breaking the bank. Scottie's has an excellent Jerry Byrd course that will teach most everything you'd want to know to get started and comfortable with all tunings including 6th tunings. After that, you can decide if a D-10 is in your future or that the non-pedal version is sufficient for your needs.

FWIW
Calvin Walley

colorado city colorado, USA
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 3:04 pm    

i play "classic country" and i hate 90% of all C-6th
if it aint E-9th then it aint for me ..just my 2 cents

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 8:05 pm    

As has been said, many instruction courses are available from the greats. I was just going to add that if I am on a S-10 E9 and the band kicks into some Western Swing or I need a 6 tone in the style of music, Like a lot of players I will just hit my E-Eb lever and play on the 4 of the basic song key. i.e. place the bar on the 5th fret if the song is in the key of E and so forth.
Also able to get the 6 tones on E9 tuning with the bar at the 5th i.e. song is in E, play on the 7th fret with the A&B pedals down. I know it's a shortcut, however it has kept my back in better shape only having to carry a S-10 for the few songs that need that tonalty. Have you tried these basic moves on E9? Since you already have a D-10, you are lucky to be able to get the full C-6 tuning..
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 May 2010 11:13 pm    

Doug,
You should use an E9 tuning.
Have fun.
- John