| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Russ Pahl with Willie tonight on Letterman
Jeff Surratt

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 6:34 am    

Russ will be with Willie tonight on "Letterman", and appearing on "The View" tomorrow, then Concert that night. Not sure how he got out of the neighborhood though. He is a half mile from the Opry House, and most of the residents are under water. We may start offering the Show Pro with the "Tommy White" aqua-mod. We had two floods here over the weekend, and have finally gotten all of the mud out, and are almost back to normal in the factory. Thanks for all of the calls of concern! We were very fortunate compared to many poor souls.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:16 am    

Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Hope things are back to normal there soon.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 7:37 pm    

I only have digital tv and I can't get CBS since the weekend, so I'll have to check it out on the web later, I guess.

A bump for other interested viewers though.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 8:43 pm    

I watched it,I couldn't hear the steel but they did show Russ breifly.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 9:39 pm    

Yup.Very briefly,and no steel solo.Darn!
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2010 11:40 pm    

Very cool version of "Freight Train Boogie", and I heard the plenty of steel just fine on my TV.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 6 May 2010 6:04 am    

I couldn't stay awake through Jack Hannah and his stupid pet tricks, (hauling wild animals on TV,) so I missed Willie & Russ. Maybe they'll turn up on Youtube.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 9:26 am    

my girlfriend woke me up to see it. looked like russ might have been experiencing some equipment situation. ..and i never really heard any steel. willy was great!...he is amazing for a mid 70ish pot smoking one-lunger!

and mickey r. isn't so hard to take anymore either, with his shorter grayer hair.
Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 10:02 am    

I'll have to look it up later on the Letterman website. You can check out the episodes on-line I believe for up to two weeks after they air.

In regards to hearing an instrument or not hearing it on a TV broadcast, one time when Jerry Douglas was out here we were telling him that on a recent broadcast we couldn't hear his dobro, but he said that at home in Tennessee his wife had told him that she could hear it loud and clear, on the same broadcast.

I know zero about the technological aspects myself, but Jerry said that depending on transmission methods and so on, a feed can sound very different in various regions of the country.

I used to want to blame this sort of thing on the sound crew of different TV shows, but apparently there are things they cannot control.

Post  Posted 6 May 2010 12:48 pm    

They did "Pistol Packin' Mama" on the View this morning. Russ and his Showpro had lots of camera time, and sounded great. Looked like he was playing through a silverface twin.
Brad Malone

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2010 4:54 pm     Letterman

What a disappointment..stayed awake for Willie on Letterman and the only instruments I heard were the blaring harmonica and a little fiddle...no Steel but did get a 2 second glimpse of Russ. A few years ago I seen Willie at the Showboat in AC...the harmonica was also the lead instrument on that show..another disappointment.
Alvin Blaine

Post  Posted 6 May 2010 5:18 pm    

How did you guys not hear the steel?
He was doing that classic 6th chord train sound through the whole song, almost every time Willie sang "Freight Train". It was like the steel part on Hank Snow's "I'm Movin' On".
Maybe from me spending the past few years mixing bluegrass bands I can spot the only electric instrument in that setting. It kind of just stands out to me, when I hear a steel, with mandolin, banjo, fiddle, standup bass, acoustic guitar, and harmonica.
John DeBoalt

Harrisville New York USA
Post  Posted 7 May 2010 4:14 am    

On my TV the mix was good. Russ just didn't get to take a ride. It also looked like he only had two pedal rods hooked up. That was a first class group of musicians they gathered for that set. They dipped their nets down into the bluegrass community for some of the pickers. Ol Willy even stuck to the melody pretty well when he sang. The last time I saw him was with Asleep @ the Wheel, and the way he sang it was hard to recogognize the songs. Eddy Rivers was great on that big 4 neck bread board though. Enough rambling, Bye. John
Wechter Scheernhorn Reso, Deneve Reso, Fender Jazzmaster, Martin D16, Walker Stereo Steel amp, TC Electronics M One effects unit, JBL 15" speaker cabs,Peavey Nashville 1000,Peavey Revoloution 112, Morrell Lap Steel, Boss DD3 delay,others