| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Trial by fire
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 12:52 pm    

So, I've been playing with my Podx3Live and realized last night I could plug it directly into the Macbook Pro and record in band in a box.

You may feel free to completely ignore this but I wanted to do a test to see if I could get something, anything recorded, and posted. This is a COMPLETE improvisation. I had never tried the tuning before but read about it from Andy's book. I was literally hearing it for the first time as I was recording.

Here is the link for brave souls. It runs about 3 minutes. I don't expect anyone to get to the end, but you'll know there is an end in site. http://picosong.com/FcN/

You'll hear me sort of surprised at the sound at the beginning, and the rest is me just trying out the tuning to see what it had. This is Andy's Asher, so appropriate I got the tuning from his book.

This is running straight from the asher into the Podx3 and directly out through the firewire to the garage band.

This is my first recording, first time recording the electric, first time ever hearing the tuning, a complete improv. It gets a bit boring but there are things all through that I like.

Remember this was just an exercise to see if I could get something posted. I'll aim for more worked out things next time.
Ron Simpson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 6:25 pm    

It is a very nice recording beginning to end.
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 8:23 pm    

I liked it, Bill. Sounded like good soundtrack music. Improv has its definite merits.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2010 8:27 pm    

Very soulful and plaintive. I can imagine it in an indie film as a car moves through the country as seen from the driver's eyes. Good stuff!
James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2010 12:57 pm    

So, Bill, does this mean you will be able to load a Midi File, or backing track into BIAB and add the steel. Or do more Improvisation, which I am becoming more, and more attracted to.

James.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2010 1:16 pm    

Oh, yeah, that I can do. BIAB exports directly into Garageband. So you can send over the BIAB file, and then mix it in Garageband.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 26 Apr 2010 1:21 pm    

Thanks for the kind words all. I woke up this morning pretty much hating it, but I keep telling myself, it was an experiment. I plan to keep posting stuff though. Good bad and the ugly.
Ben Sims

New Mexico
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 7:07 am    

That sounds wonderful, you really get a nice sound out of the Asher with the Pod. I also recently acquired an Asher and they really sound like nothing else. What tuning were you using?

Re: the recording, did you mean to say you recorded direct to Garage Band, or does Band in a Box itself have a recording interface now?
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 7:10 am    

just plain old Open D with a sus.

Yes, you can run directly from the Pod into Garage Band. I wasn't using BIAB at all. Garage Band detects Podx3 live automatically.
Mark Roeder

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 7:52 am    

Nice sound, I didn't expect it to be as warm as it was with out a tube amp in there.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 9:18 am    

No, no amp at all. Live I run directly from the pod to the Tech 21 Power Engine. It sounds exactly like the recording and the same as when you are using headphones.
Mike Bagwell

Greenville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2010 4:40 pm    

Bill,

I made it all the way through, I like it. It has a really cool movie music feel to it.

Mike
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 3:21 pm    

The old Asher sounds pretty damn good, Bill. Sniffle.

You got some nice sounds out of the tuning. I listened all the way through and enjoyed your improv.
Bill McCloskey

Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 4:02 pm    

Andy,

It is a beautiful guitar. Thank you for selling to me. It must have been painful. It is a fantastic instrument.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2010 6:09 pm    

Very nice, Bill. Cool