| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sierra Artist vs. Stage One vs. Genesis
Paul Haun

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 11:41 am    

So, I have narrowed it down to these three I believe. I have exactly a 1k budget, so I'm rather limited. I walked into the local shop today and low and behold a Sierra artist that I can actually see, feel, etc. It was great shape overall. Pedals and knees felt a little loose, but I don't have much experience knowing how they should feel... Wanted 995, but would give it to me for 850 with case.

Is this a better guitar than either the Stage One or Genesis? Its only a 3+2, which I keep reading I should be looking for a 3+4. I do like the arm pad offered with the Genesis...

Any advice greatly appreciated...
thanks.
Paul
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 11:59 am    

not being very familiar with any of them, here's one vote for the sierra.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:07 pm    

The Sierra Artist has a professional triple-raise, double-lower changer that can handle any copedent you throw at it. At $850, it's a great deal. I don't think they're making them anymore, but parts for expansion may still be available.

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:31 pm    

b0b...I was wondering if it would be possible to add 2 knees...I'll look around and see what i can find. The weight (or lack thereof) blew me away and quite sturdy at that....Thanks for the input.
Chuck Martin

Clifton, Virginia
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:37 pm    

In that price range you should be able to get an MSA Classic S-10 which would be nicer than a Sierra Artist which is basically a student model guitar. Try posting under "Wanted to Buy" and see what kind of offers pop-up. The main thing is to get a guitar that is properly set-up.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:39 pm    

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Sierra Artist as my main gigging guitar. They're actually quite good. I had one on loan for a week once. It had 4+5 and sounded great. Given its flexibility, I don't consider the Sierra Artist to be a "student model" guitar at all.

You should contact Sierra directly to ask about parts for expansion.<center>

</center>

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 12:50 pm    

Thanks...

I contacted them and will let y'all know the response.

MSA classic for that price...hmm, tempting. I'll post something up on WTB and check response.

Thanks again! Can't wait to get going.

Paul
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 1:20 pm    

I'm another with praise for the Sierra Artist. It is not a student model guitar as they also put out a D-10 model with the same design. The body and neck are all aluminum one peice units and a pro model changer with triple/double capablities. Add to that a good sounding George L pickup and they are good playing and sounding guitars! For your investment of $850 that gives you extra to add two other knees in the future which you wouldn't need for a while. Plenty to do with 3&2. The only reason I sold the D-10 Artist that I had is that I didn't care for the lack of a top backstop on the top of the pedal rods. Roy Ayres played one for quite some time until he received his Excel as a gift from his wife.
The other models are true student models.

Harrisburg, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 3:14 pm    

Get the Sierra!
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 3:49 pm    

The Sierra Artist was very well made. I wish you would buy a Stage One Very Happy but if it were me I would probably buy the Sierra. How's that for being honest?
I hope you enjoy whatever guitar you decide on.
"Teach Your Children Well"
Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 6:07 pm    

Doug, we're going to have to work on your sales pitch a little bit. Laughing
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 6:29 pm    

I'd be surprised if you could buy new knee lever kits for less than $120 to $150 and this would get you close to or over your 1G budget but see what sierra tells you as I have no first hand experience with them. Two knees will get you a good start for sure but most tab has three if not four knees on these days and you will most likely be wondering what you are missing before long. Once you hear from Sierra use that information with the music store, it's possible as a dealer they might be able to get the kits cheaper from Sierra or be willing to drop the price a little more to make the deal work, good luck.
Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 6:59 pm    

Paul, E mail sent Larry Baker
Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 7:15 pm    

Paul, don't let Doug Earnest's modest honesty fool you. He builds one fine guitar. One reason it's billed as a student/economy model, is because the set up is kinda permanent, but they play very well. 3 & 4 will get you a lot of music and years of enjoyment. Just have a listen to a Stage One steel guitar in the hands of Michael Douchette.

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=171772&highlight=stage+one+douchette

(Oh yeah, Paul...I've seen a few used Stage One's listed in the "for sale" section. They don't last long. AND more than once, I've seen Doug chime in with an offer to extend the warranty for whoever buys it used. That's a guy who stands behind his contraption.) See the posts below:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=168644&highlight=stage+one

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=154136&highlight=stage+one

Last edited by Rick Barnhart on 31 Dec 2009 5:52 am; edited 3 times in total
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 7:45 pm    

I would pick the Stage One, but I don't know anything about the Genesis.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2009 8:43 pm    

too bad that the old school hot-rodder concept has evaded most people. i bet i could make some good working knee levers for next to nothing for that sierra if it were mine.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 12:15 am    

Tom @ Sierra might be able to fix you up w/ 2 more knee levers.

http://www.sierrasteels.com/pages/index2.html
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 5:07 am     Carpsteels

Checkout the Rains website and look at the Carpsteels. I think you'll be impressed, especially if you email for a price on a new one before 1-1-10. Thanks.
Paul Haun

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 8:46 am    

Doug, I can't get over your honesty...that in itself wants me to get a Stage One Smile

Thanks for all the input everyone, what a great forum. I'm going to head up to the store again today and play around some and see how well it seems to be setup. Again without any experience, it's difficult knowing what to look for, but I'll probably take some pics and post.

I have also had some great offers on an MSA classic s10 and Dekley S12. Tough decision to make.

Emailed Sierra about the pedals, and Billy, going to check on the carpsteel.

Thanks again everyone! I"ll post back after I make it to the store.

Paul
Paul Haun

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 3:31 pm     Now more decisions...

So, went in to the store again today. The Sierra tone is very nice, and overall the guitar is in great shape. The problems: LKL was very loose it seems and the #3 pedal would stick after released. She then tells me she misquoted me yesterday and it is now 890, which after tax would put me at about $940 minus volume pedal and tone bar/picks.

So...I am considering a couple other options. 1) There is a great deal on the Carpsteel right now 2) The Stage One 3) got a great offer for 1k on a MSA classic 3+3 with case and volume pedal 4) A Dekley S12 4+4 at the same price.

Advice on these now? What a tough choice. Part of me is saying the MSA, smaller part the Dekley, and evenly split the Carpsteel and Stage One as the idea of a new guitar is tempting to a newbie.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 5:51 pm     psg

On the Carpsteels, note that the changers are triple raise & triple lower all pull. This pretty much eliminates tuning problems. Same as the pro models. Also they come in various colors with wood or metal necks. Turnaround time on one is very quick, in the event they have to build it. Thanks and good luck on your choice.
Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2009 7:04 pm    

I'd go for one of the new ones, that way you get a warranty and you know they work right from the start and there's plenty of builder support. The other three are all used, out of production guitars. I currently have two Zums and a Stage One so you know what my suggestion would be. It wasn't too long ago that there were no under 1000$ options for new guitars so you are fortunate now to have a choice, Good Luck.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 8:02 pm    

Offer the Music Store $800 for the Sierra: take-it-or-leave-it!

It's kinda like asking a girl to dance. The worst thing that can happen is she says NO. On the other hand, you just may luck out and take her home.

Last edited by Tony Glassman on 5 Jan 2010 5:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2009 10:23 pm    

Stage One.
Don Drummer

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2009 9:30 am    

Stage One too!