| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Running On Empty?
Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 1:39 pm    

Does anyone here know what type of steel and what tuning David Lindley used on the live Runing On Empty (Jackson Browne of course) tune that became so popular? I've usually tried to simulate that solo with a regular six-string guitar in standard EADGBE tuning. But I'd like to see how it would sound on my lap steel. There are lots of tuning choices and I'm not sure what Lindley used (or even how many stringed a steel he used!).
Thanks
WS
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 2:00 pm    

I believe he mostly used a Rickenbacker with Jackson Browne, and the tuning is the "E" shape (EBEG#BE, or 151351, low to high) but he may have been tuned to a higher pitch.
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 2:30 pm     Mr Dave

Fretboard Journal issue 11 has a great interview of David Lindley by Ben Harper where he talks about the rig quite a bit, but not the tuning.

What Steinar said... if you tune up a half step to F, it makes it quite a bit easier to play along with the recorded arrangement, at least it does for me.
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 5:38 pm    

What Steinar said. It helps to have the Dumble amp he was using, too.

Search YouTube -- there are some vidoes of Running on Empty during that tour (alas, I haven't found a video of the version that was on the album).
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2009 11:25 pm    

Tuning is, as stated above, the "E" shape (1 5 1 3 5 1 low to high) and for that song, tuned, or capoed, up to A. I believe Lindley was actually using a double-neck on which one neck had a "nut" built in at the 5th fret position (hope that's clear!)
Nick
Peter Jacobs

Northern Virginia
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 6:25 am    

Found this on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bww2prhAWEA
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@splinterville6278/videos
Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 6:49 am    

Thanks for this info everyone I appreciate it. I'm hoping you can help with a related question about strings.

I have been keeping my Morrell 6-string lap steel in what I think is called either C6 or E6 or C#m7 tuning:
(Lo) C# E G# B C# E (Hi).

That's what I've been using to play Sleep Walk and Steel Guitar Rag (attempting to play something like the Tom Morrell version on Legends of the Incredible Lap Steel Guitar).

The steel came equipped with what I think were ordinary six-string guitar light gauge strings and I replaced those with GHS Custom Shop ELD Lap C6 strings:
15-017-022-026-DY30-DY36
which seem better suited for that tuning.

Is there a better set of strings for the E shape tuning that's been described in this conversation
(Lo) E B E G# B E (Hi), or for a 1-5-1-3-5-1 tuning starting with a 1 different from E?

Thanks
WS
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 7:16 am    

Walter ... the Jagwire E set that is sold through our forum would be what you want.
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings.html
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 1:03 pm    

Yeah, the Jagwire set is good. On my Asher EH Junior, which is a 25" scale, I use regular 013-056 D'Addario strings. Works great for E and sometimes I tune it down to D for a lower tension and easier behind the bar pulls.
Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2009 5:48 pm    

Thanks Steinar and Tom. The forum has been a GREAT resource for me to learn tons of good info about the lap steel!
Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 6:09 pm     Follow up-what's a good double neck?

Hey what about double necks in this connection? Do people ever use a double-neck steel guitar (two six-string steel guitar necks (no pedals)) with one neck a C6-type tuning (Lo) C# E G# B C# E (Hi) and the other neck the E configuration we were discussing ((Lo) E B E G# B E (Hi), or 1-5-1-3-5-1 )?
Since the string gauges for these two tunings are pretty different it would seem you need two steels to play songs with these two tunings during a gig.

Along these lines can anyone let me know what a good double-neck steel guitar brand or type is? I mean two six-string steel guitar necks (no pedals).
Thanks!
Tom Pettingill

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2009 7:04 pm    

Walter ... Multiple neck steels for different tunings has been very popular over the years.
I'm not sure if there is anyone making new double 6's, but there are quite a few good double 8's being made.

For vintage double 6's, there are some good ones out there, the usual suspects, Fender, Supro, National, etc. I guess it depends on the sound your going for and what your budget is.
Walter Seaman

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 5:54 pm    

Thanks Tom. I saw Elderly music has what is listed as a vintage 1956 Supro 6-string double neck
http://elderly.com/vintage/items/185U-453.htm
(no legs).
And WOW the steels shown on the web page linked to your posting are really amazing-looking!
Tom Pettingill

Post  Posted 2 Sep 2009 7:53 pm    

Thanks Walter, I enjoy building them, one of these days I need to do a double neck.

That Supro at Elderly seems to be in very good shape. I wouldn't worry about the missing legs too much.
You can get a good adjustable keyboard stand like this On Stage for not too much and use it with any steel you want.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/OnStage-Stands-Pro-Platform-Keyboard-Stand?sku=450384