| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  $469.00 Volume Pedal?
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 7:36 am    

I remember when I bought my first Goodrich L120 nearly ten years ago an thought, dang, that is expensive for a pot, a string and a few pieces of aluminum, I think it was 150 bucks.

Then I bought a Hilton a few years later, and thought, dang, that is expensive for a big transformer, and two pieces of speckled gray metal. I think I might have paid $269.00.

And then last week I saw where Mullen has upped the ante with a $469.00 volume pedal. I would love to know if anyone has tried one, and if it could possibly be worth as much as a monthly payment on an '09 F250. Who knows might be money better spent as the truck just keeps on a-depreciatin'.

Thanks and best,

Gerald
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 8:08 am    

Here is some discussion:

Click Here
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 9:03 am    

I didn't know there were any F250s in Brooklyn.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 4:49 pm    

Don't think about the money when you only buy one, and it lasts a couple of decades. If you keep it 20 years, a $6,000 steel is only costing you a little over 75 cents a day! Cool
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2009 5:19 pm     my pal foot foot

Hey Gerald,

Come on up and try one out at my place. I Love it. I'll be using one at the Rodeo Bar too, so you could check it out there also.
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2009 4:12 am    

I thought the Hilton was expensive but I bought one any way thinking I could always sell it if I did not like it, has not happened yet.

The up front price for all gear these days is up, but when you divid the cost up over the number of gigs you play or the number of years you own it, it is really small potoughtoooos.

I focus on what it will do for me and my sound then the expense.

Larry Behm
Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 11:22 am    

It's a new product, give ti time and it will come down in price. That's what my wife tells me-anyway
Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:16 pm    

I saw it at the Dallas show and it looked pretty interesting. If I remember right it's supposed to replicate the sound, response and taper of all existing pedals...Emmons, ShoBud, etc.
I can't say if it's worth the high price or not...it doesn't lift the cloak of mystery off volume pedals (or rock drumming) or anything, but it looked pretty cool.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2009 1:27 pm    

They are pedals. They are for controlling volume.

What's the mystery?
John Gould

Houston, TX Now in Cleveland TX
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 6:44 am    

I must say that this kind of money for a volume pedal is evidence that we as steel players are consumed with the quest for the perfect setup and tone that we will pay any amount of money for any component. It's a great thing that new technology affords better products
it's just a shame that it has to be expensive.
As players we sometime get so wrapped up in the technology we forget to go back to the other things that make up our sound. Bar and pick technique are as important or even more so than what volume pedal your using or what cable or whatever. Some of the best sounding playing I've heard was done on a guitar that looked like it was going to fall apart and a old Pot volume pedal through a amp that the case was so beat up it leaned to the left. Don't loose sight of what it's all about, making good sounding music not just the toys.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 8:15 am    

I would add to the above volume pedal technique!

With apologies to sensitive Native Americans and tech support phone staffers I'll say what we say on the golf course: "It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 11:07 am    

It's the first volume pedal modeler that I've seen.
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 1:54 pm     Mullen volume pedal

I saw some guys trying this pedal at the Branson show and believe me these things are going to sell because the guys tryin them could not turn them loose . They went home with them. also Del Mullen played his part of the show with his new preamp and his new pedal on a G2 Mullen steel and he had the best sound at the show .Just my humble openion but it was the best sound I,ve heard in a long time. Buck Grantham

Lafayette, CO USA
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2009 2:22 pm    

I'd like to see a wah model in that mix - be able to switch between volume and wah using that remote.
Gerald Menke

Stormville NY, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2009 11:45 am    

Way off topic here, but this must be a big day for my brother Dan Menke, better known on the Internet as Buck Nelson, star/creator of the YouTube hit "Lifting the Cloak of Mystery Off Rock Drumming", just in case any of you all were wondering what Skip was referring to. Check out his video, it's a hilarious spoof of bad instructional videos, and yours truly makes an appearance at the end.

I appreciate everybody weighing in on this pedal, guess I am going to have to try one, great, then I will have two Goodrich LDRs, two Hiltons, and probably end up with two of these things after trying one...
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2009 2:00 pm     pedal

I heard those pedals in action at Branson and I,m probably gonna have to have one...... to go along with all the other stuff I,ve got back in the music room. Buck