| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Badge Cover Plate
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:44 am    

I've always got quick parts delivery from Bobbe whenever I order through SGN. He is a font of knowledge........I do have a small bone to pick, though:

I purchased one of those Emmons badge polished aluminum cover plates ( the ones that the surrounds the Emmons logo plate w/ polished aluminum borders) under the impression, from his website, that it was a quick install. I thought I'd get one, slip the badge in and see if I liked it enough to keep it on.

The problem is that the badge is slightly too large to fit in the cover and requires some whittling of the logo plate's edges to fit. That in my eyes is an irreversible modification, as the mod will deface the badge edges and make it look crappy if I decide not to use the cover. I spoke with a guy at SGN who said that was "par for the course". I told him I didn't think that constitutes reversible and EZ installation. His reply was that he'd pass the message on to Bobbe.

Not a big problem........it just means I might have to buy a 2nd badge, if things don't work out. Anyone else have any experience with these covers?
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 7:01 am    

I've experienced the same problem.
However, it certainly isn't a BIG deal.
All that is necessary is to just file down a little bit of the offending areas of the Emmons badge until it fits. I certainly wouldn't "whittle" away on it.
There really isn't any damage done to the badge and it certainly can be reused again without the metal surround.
John McGuire

Swansea,Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 7:36 am    

I had the same problem with my Legrande badge,black plastic. It was tight but managed to get it in. Very Happy On my push/pull it has the brown metal badge no way will I file or sand on it. I was going to try and file or dremmel the inside edge of the holder but just don't have the time.
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 8:13 am    

I know someone will say "you cant do that" but I soaked the aluminum plate in boiling water for about five minutes and then put the emmons logo in it and it fit just fine, never did have to file any of the logo off.
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 8:14 am    

Tony,

FWIW this is not a Bobbe problem. They are designed to be a "tight" fit in order to create a seamless installation. I have purchased them from both Bobbe and Ron Jr at Emmons. They are all the same tight fit, requiring in some cases, a small amount of trimming.
This shouldn't be a problem. If you want a to return to the original look, Emmons will sell you a boat load of the currently manufactured nameplates for 8 bucks a piece.

Cheers!
Benton
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 8:22 am    

Austin wrote:
Quote:
I know someone will say "you cant do that" but I soaked the aluminum plate in boiling water for about five minutes and then put the emmons logo in it and it fit just fine, never did have to file any of the logo off.

You can't do that!!
BUT
If the nameplate is close enough to the right size, it will work. Very Happy

Benton
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:04 am    

You don't have to touch the face of the badge.
All that is necessary is to remove some of the sharp edges on the back side of the badge.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 9:10 am    

Thx to all.......will "trim" the edges tonight.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2009 6:42 pm    

Trimmed....and it fits, but if you pop the badge out and look closely you can see the modified edges.

I'd rather it were made with a slightly larger opening, but I understand that the cover walls are designed to approximate the flared edges of the badge.