| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  EZ Drummer Question
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2009 6:27 pm    

I bought EZD and loaded it on my laptop. I get errors when it boots up that it failed to load audio drivers and MIDI drivers, so I don't get any sound. I know it requires that my soundcard have up to date ASIO or CoreAudio drivers.
I don't know what that means.
I thought I had a decent sound card with this computer.
Do I need a MIDI card? Do I need a new sound card?
What's the best way to set this up?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 1:16 am    

I believe EZdrummer needs to run under a host program, which recording program are you using ? ( AKA: Reaper, Sonar, Cubase etc )

Mine loaded up in seconds under Sonar , actually Sonar found it and configured it . I have used it with three different sound cards, the stock PC Realtek, a second Soundblaster game card and then I woke up and bought an MAudio multitrack sound card which I run now and I am not even using the ASIO driver, I can, but the system runs fine so I am not changing anything.

not sure if I helped here but you do need a host program if you do not have one already.

t
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 6:21 am    

I'm using Reaper. I can drag and drop into Reaper fine, but I still don't get any sound.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 6:26 am    

Get the free ASIO universal driver here:

ASIO4ALL

Select this driver for use with EZdrummer.

You can run EZDrummer standalone with the free ToonTrack solo:

ToonTrack Solo

I use EZdrummer with Reaper. I have also successfully ran it with ToonTrack Solo which allows you to listen to all the drums and patterns but has no ability to store or sequence patterns.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 7:34 am    

I never knew about toon track solo, but all in all to sequence I guess you still need a host program.

I am thinking this is more of a Reaper issue than EZD. What audio driver is selected for Reaper ? Within the Reaper track, where is the output of the track pointed ? What drivers are selected for your Windows audio configuration ? The ASIO driver is a preferred driver but neither EZD or Reaper require the ASIO driver to function, I am running Sonar, EZD and Fender Amplitube using the WDM/KS driver for my MAudio card, it was default, I have no latency issues so I never bothered to reconfigure it , Sonar, EZD and all the other VST's run fine but I did have to let the PC know where to point the audio outputs, they are pointed to the MAudio card which is not an amplifier, it only has outputs which plug into a headphone amp or some other audio source. The card makes no sound.

I do also have Reaper running on another PC with the same WDM/KS driver selected.

This is crazy stuff.
t

Last edited by Tony Prior on 31 Mar 2009 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 7:35 am    

Thanks Greg. I'll download that when I get home.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 10:02 am    

Where does an audio driver reside when you download it?
How do you "select" a driver?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 11:23 am    

In Reaper do he following first to see if all your problems disappear:

Go to:

Options
Preferences
Audio
Device
Audio System > Select ASIO

In the box below this ASIO v2 should appear as the driver. Most likely you should now have a usable system without further changes.

To answer your question above, the driver resides at c:/program files/ASI4ALL v2. This is not reall important to know as Reaper will find the drifer for you!

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2009 4:36 pm    

Now I'm really screwed. I went to that link and I had to purchase Device Detective for $40.
Then when I updated my driver, which I saw nothing about ASIO, I get zero sound now.
I am so frustrated

HELP!!
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 4:30 am    

ASIO4ALL is free! You don't need or want the Device Director. Go back to the link and pick the download one in English down in the middle of the page.

Greg
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 5:38 am    

Yeah I clicked too soon.
It's working now. Now I need to learn how to construct a song.
Thanks again
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 5:46 am    

Chris, I don't get it man.. I thought you knew all about 'lectricity?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:22 am    

Only big electricity, not tiny electricity Very Happy
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 9:34 am    

Chris, I think you may be best learning on your own, but if it helps get you started, I've got a 16 track Reaper/EZDrummer template I can send you that puts each EZDrummer mic channel on a separate Reaper Track. You just click on the effects button on the top track of Raper, it opens up EZDrummer, then you drag EZDrummer patterns into the top drum track in Reaper.

Greg
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 4:43 pm    

Greg that would be awesome if it's not much trouble.
Hey do I need to download a MIDI driver to drag and drop?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 7:38 pm    

Chris, here's my Reaper/EZDrummer files for the Tennessee Waltz and the 16 track template.

Tennessee Waltz

16 Track Template

Download the above files in a folder like c:/Reaper/Tennessee Waltz by right clicking them and save as so you can find them easy later on.

Load the Tennessee Waltz into Reaper. Just press play and watch the screen. You can adjust the level of each drum mic independently. Click on the green lit up fx button on Track 1 Variation. You will see EZdrummer open up. In other words the inline effect/mixer instead of being reverb or delay etc is really EZdrummer. Select the drum set you want, then open the groove set you want, and you can play each pattern to test it out.

To move a drum pattern into Reaper, left click it's label like "Variation 3" just above the "Close Gorrves" button and drag it into Reaper. You will see the pattern appear as a green block into the track you dragged it into. Using my template you will want to drag it into the top most track which will then cause to play through all 16 channels.

As an aside, just select of the top pattern sections, delete it, and place a new pattern from EZDrummer into its spot. Double click the pattern in Reaper, and you can see its midi layout and you can also add individual drum hits, delete drum hits, change the drum velocity levels etc.

Greg

Last edited by Greg Cutshaw on 2 Apr 2009 4:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2009 8:44 pm    

The Tennessee Waltz would not load. It said there was an error parsing the file, whatever that means.
I do not understand MIDI. Am I needing to load a driver or something?
I really appreciate you sending this BTW
Randy Reeves

LaCrosse, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 3:33 am    

you do not need MIDI to use ezdrummer. drag and drop works fine. you can, if you have a midi keyboard, work the drum kit. it isn't essential.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2009 3:55 am    

Chris, I patched up the Tennessee Waltz link so it will work now.

Greg
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 4:32 pm    

Greg it loaded, but still no sound.
I thought it would show up with all of the individual drums on different tracks, but it's only one track. Is that right?
I don't know what the problem is.
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2009 5:42 pm    

When I load the track (Tennessee Waltz) it gives me an error cannot find VSTi Dfh Sampler (Toontrack) (16 out).
So EZD is the plugin it's looking for right?
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 8:42 am    

I got it to work now. A guy from the Roland VS Planet forum told me to do a search for a file called ezdrummer.dll and copy it into my Vst effects and do a rescan.
I got all my good advice from this forum and the VS forum. EZD's support forum (Toontack) sucks!
Thanks guys
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2009 9:50 am    

Great news Chris! If you open the EZDrummer mixer, you will see that there is not one mic per drum. The snare top has one mic, the snare bottom has it's own mic, the Toms can hae their own mics or one mic, the bass drum has it's own mic, the cymbals are grouped into the overhead mic, then there is a room mic and with the Nashville pack, there is a Compression mic.

Greg
Jerry Grant

Bartlett, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2009 12:14 pm     Drum Machines

Could someone tell me if there is a drum machine that I can just take the output and plug that into an amp to get drum sounds. I don't know much about electronic stuff but need the drums out in my music room to keep good timing. I could spend $200-$250 for one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry Grant
Session 500, Bandit 112, Fender Pro 185
Epiphone 6 String Acoustic
Chris Schlotzhauer

Colleyville, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2009 1:33 pm    

I think the Boss DR series drum machines might be what you're looking for. Like the DR880