| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Static From 6 String Pickguard???
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2009 4:12 pm    

When I rub my finger on the pickguard of my new Malden guitar I get a static noise.it's very dry up here.This also has happened to my Fernandes Strat years ago I cured it with a Paul C's replacement pickguard $80.00.It also happens on my friends new American Standard Tele,and another friend's Heritage Eagle.I painted the back of my pickguard yesterday with copper paint from Stew Mac and it didn't do anything.Today I took part of a vinyl sticker and put it on the guitar and that did it,Is there any other way that I can get rid of the static without putting stickers all over the pickguard?Stu Confused Confused
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 3:18 am    

Try wiping it with one of those softener sheets that you put in the clothes dryer.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 4:22 am    

It's real common. Those softener sheets work, and it also seems to go away on it's own after a while - I don't know why. It seems like it would be from an accumulation of finger oils, or something? You could try rubbing on it with a greasy part of yourself - I just wait it out, if you play a lot it'll be gone in a week (sans stickers).
Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 4:40 am    

Stu, I bought a Fender 'Baja Telecaster' last year and it had the same problem...static when touching the pickguard and also hum from outside sources. A really nice instrument but inadequate shielding. It was a bit of a job but I ordered copper foil from Stewart-MacDonald and lined the pickup cavities and the control plate cavity. I also got double sided tape from 'Stew-Mac' for fastening pickguards and used it to line the back of the pickguard with tinfoil. This completely cured both problems. I found the instructions by doing a google search, complete with illustrations. It was sort of tedious and probably took a couple of hours to complete but it was well worth it.
BTW, the reason painting the back of your pickguard with copper paint didn't help is probably because it still isn't grounded to the jack plate on the guitar. When you line the cavities with foil you leave a couple of tabs overlapping on the outside of the cavity to contact your copper paint... or tinfoil in my case. Your pieces of copper foil are joined to provide a path to the control plate which is already ground to the jack. It sounds involved but it's simple once you get into it.
John Groover McDuffie

LA California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 9:23 am    

I've had this problem with all my Fenders and Fender clones. I didn't start noticing it until about 5 years ago. I don't know if the plastics in newer pickguards are more suceptible to this or what.

My fix, like Bill's is gluing heavy duty aluminum foil on the back of the pickguard, which must be connected to the guitar's electronic ground. (I use 3M spray adhesive) This happens through the contact with the pot mounting on strats; on teles I trap a small strip of foil under the top end of the control plate where the mounting screw is, and this extends under the pickguard and makes contact with the foil on the back of the pickguard.

Of course you could replace the pickup and interconnecting wires with shielded, but to me that changes the sound of Fender pickups.

Last edited by John Groover McDuffie on 21 Mar 2009 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 9:32 am    

Thanks a lot everyone...I'll some of that foil and adhesive and do that.Stu Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 9:48 am     Shielding paint

You can also use shielding paint to cure this problem. Stew Mac sells it as well. Just paint the back of the pickguard (two coats) and then paint a small strip around the control cavity cutout, so that when the guard is screwed down it will make contact with the conrol cavity cover (which of course is already grounded).

I find that the shielding paint works better, especially for shielding cavities because the tape tends to come loose and can cause problems by making contact with "hot" connections, such as the switch contacts. Good luck.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 9:52 am    

Russ,I used the shielding paint on the pickguard but I didn't paint the cavity...I'll try that.Look out fumes here I come. Whoa!
Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 11:57 am    

[/quote]Look out fumes here I come.
Quote:

At least now you'll have an excuse Stu! Laughing
Russ Blake

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 2:17 pm    

Stu, you don't have to paint the whole cavity, just make sure the paint on the back of the pickguard makes a ground connection. The easiest place is at the control plate. Enjoy the fumes!
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 3:29 pm    

Dryer sheets work temporarily. It's usually worse in dry weather.

Brad
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2009 8:17 pm    

I painted the cavity of the guitar and even painted a couple of fingers...The static had been reduced by about 90%,Bo Good one!Thanks again everyone,Stu Winking