| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Inherited a Rickenbacher Electro
Amy Hoover

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2009 7:13 pm    

I recently inherited a Rickenbacher Electro (pictures here: http://fortheloot.com/public/guitar/). It appears to be a D-16 (http://www.rickenbacker.com/catalog_poster_piece.asp?poster_piece=cf33-2.jpg).

This instrument has a really cool history to me. My grandpa taught lessons through the depression with the guitar and I even have some of his old recordings.

Although I only recently started playing the classical guitar, I've been playing a variety of different instruments most of my life. I really want to have my Grandpa's Electro checked out by someone who knows this sort of instrument. I also would like to learn how to play.

From what I can tell, this forum has a bunch of seasoned players willing to help each other out. I apologize though if most of these questions have been asked before. Please point me in the direction of these threads if they already exist! Since I am so new, I really need help with everything (how to get started playing on a double neck steel guitar, what sorts of music use this instrument's sound, who are the masters of this instrument), but I have two major questions:

1. How can I find someone good to help me inspect my new guitar?
2. How can I find someone in my area (Orlando) who would be willing to take on a new student?

Thank you very much for your time!
Mark Durante

St. Pete Beach FL
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 3:40 am    

Guitars like your late 40's D-8 Rick were used in Western Swing,(Bob Wills), Country Western,(Hank Williams), and Hawaiian styles of music. These are just some examples of what can be done with your Grandpa's fine old guitar, enjoy
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 5:16 am    

Amy,
On the Carter Pedal Steel Guitar Company's web site is a list of teachers. You might check that to see if there is any one in your area. Click on links at the top of this page, then click on Manufacturers to find the Carter Company.
There is also an "Online Steelers" web site, which lists steel guitar player by State. I think it is www.onlinesteelers.com. Check out Florida and see if there are any players in your area.
Just because you are now posted in the "Steel without Pedals area, somebody may chime in and offer to help. Good luck finding a teacher and getting started with your guitar. Guess I was thinking about the Carter Company being in Texas, but you are in Florida...

Last edited by Larry Jamieson on 20 Jan 2009 4:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 6:53 am    

If you go to google and check out--

"Manasota Steel Guitar club of Florida"
ftmurph1@verizon.net

They meet each month at a place in Panasofkee called Catfish Johnnies. There should be someone there who can help you.

Also for checking out your guitar Rick Aiello would be a great person to send it to if there are problems with any of the electronics.

Best of Luck
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 7:16 am    

Danny,
Thanks for telling Amy about the Manasota Steel Guitar Club.

However, there is a little confusion there.

There are two steel guitar clubs in this part of
Florida.

Manasota Steel Guitar Club meets in Bradenton
at the Eagles Club on 15th street on the third Tuesday of each month.
Complete information and directions are
on the website: http://manasotasteelguitarclub.com/

The Florida Steel Guitar Club meets at Catfish Johnny's Restaurant in Lake Panasoffkee on the
second Wednesday of each month.
Complete information and directions are on the

The websites contain maps and directions. Both
clubs have members from the Orlando area.
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 7:41 am    

Blake,

Thanks so much for correcting my error and providing the information for Amy. Just another brain fade from this old timer. Embarassed Laughing

There should be a lot of people willing to help her.

Thanks again, and best wishes to Amy with her guitar.

Danny
Tom Pettingill

California, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2009 8:25 am    

Welcome to the forum Amy, lots of good folk here that are happy to help.
As I like to tell people, steel guitar is like any instrument, it can take a lifetime to master, but the basics come quickly and the fun is instant.

Mark pointed out some of the traditional styles your Grandpa may have played on it.
I'd add that steel guitar is very versatile and can be found in lots of modern music too. Everything from rock to rap, jazz, gospel, folk, roots, etc.

A couple handy links you might find useful.
Brad our moderator has a great page up here that covers some tunings, history, and other valuable recourses. http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
Here you can find string sets, instruction material, CD, DVDs, and other reference material sold through the forum that helps keep our community online.
http://pedalsteelmusic.com/strings.html
Amy Hoover

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2009 6:20 am    

Thank you so much for all of the help. I am in the process right now of assessing the condition of my guitar with Rick Aiello.

Once I get the guitar in shape, I plan on attending at least a couple Florida Steel Guitar Club meetings, but the hour and a half drive is long!

As far as types of music go, I have found a couple Hawaiian style compilation CDs from my friends. Before I buy any CDs though, are there any quintessential bands/artists that I should check out?

Also, I found a couple of different people in my area through the onlinesteelers.com website who may be willing to help me learn to play.

Thank you so much for all of your help!
Paul Honeycutt

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 12:31 am    

Hi, Amy,
Is there any way to post a picture of your Electro? I'd love to see it. Have fun learning to play it!
Amy Hoover

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 5:46 am    

Sure thing,

there are four pictures here

http://fortheloot.com/public/guitar/
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2009 7:26 am    

"Before I buy any CDs though, are there any quintessential bands/artists that I should check out?"

Amy, if you will go to the HSGA-- www.hsga.org and click on "The Music" then "Online audio by members" you will find many different styles of steel guitar music to listen to by different artists.

Many are using Rickenbacher guitars. Cool