| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reaffirming What Makes A Great Guitar
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 12:09 pm    

I've had more than my fair share of good and great guitars over the years. (One of the advantages of only rarely playing music as my only source of income, I guess...) Among those guitars have been guitars that were beautiful, were amazingly well made, that sounded great, that were just right for someone else but not me, and every possible combination of each of those. A couple that I have right now are terrific work machines - fine tools for the job and I love having and using them. They will likely get sold or swapped in time, though, as I have done with guitars so often over the years when I had a fancy to try something new.

I just got a guitar, however, that reminds me that the very best guitar is the one that makes you want to sit down and play it, play it some more, and then play it again. I won't name brands simply because my purpose here isn't to foster yet another which-brand-is-best argument. What I can say, though, is that this is the first time in years that I couldn't wait to sit down and stay set down playing. It's mighty fun.

On the down side, it reminds me that twice in my life I've gotten rid of guitars I had the same feelings about but that didn't seem exactly right for one reason or another. Those I'll name... One was my first P/P D-10 which, as I understand it, is still leading a happy, productive life as an SD-10 conversion in Austin. The other was a beat up Pro II Custom with 8x2 that I thought I couldn't justify keeping at the time. As soon as I sold it I realized how much I missed playing that guitar.

My promise to myself is to never do that again.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 12:52 pm    

What each of us considers a "great guitar" is very subjective. When I was younger, my favorite guitars were the Gibson SG Custom, the Gretsch White Falcon, and the Fender Jaguar. All were premier examples of American electric guitars, the top-of-the-line models. And of course, I was sadly mistaken about their worth. None of these ever became a really popular guitar, and you'd be hard pressed to figure out why. All three are also now at the lower end in the collector market, which speaks volumes about their lack of desirability. Of course, all three played divinely, had a unique tone, and the workmanship and finish were top-notch. So much for my "great guitars".

Like those guitars, the pedal steels have always had their popular and less-popular models. I've had players rave about their guitars, only to sit down at them, play them a short while, and give thanks I never bought one. At the same time, players (both famous and amateur) have decried my own choices in what is a good pedal steel. In the end, most of us just want something different when we're looking for new inspiration, only to regret our decisions to change our sound later on.

All that is to say that what makes a "great guitar" is different for each of us. Some want top-notch engineering, some want ultimate flexibility, some want just a good sound, some want the most expensive, some want a nostalgic tone, some want what some famous player uses, and still others want a "work of art" cabinet. Of course, no one guitar possesses all of these qualities, or even most of them, so the variety remains...for each of us to just pick what he or she likes - and then start making music.

Some day, we'll all be gone, as will most of those magic instruments that were once so dear to us. The music we made, the only thing that can be enjoyed by many, is the only thing that will really last.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 2:18 pm    

chris..nice to hear you've got some inspiration. i wanted both your jch's...and what happened to the legrande? and the ltd400...
Chris Bauer

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 2:28 pm    

Hey Chris - Since you're not around these parts for inspiration, I guess I gotta get it from my gear now...

The JCHs are spread far and wide, the LTD was last seen driving off into the sunset in the back of Steve Hinson's truck, and the LeGrande just left last month. This is the first time in a couple of decades I haven't owned an Emmons D-10. Kinda feels lonely. However, it helped get my Zum D-10 back - I owe that (my Zum-lust) to still more of your influence after all these years, actually. Smile

Donny H. - Agreed on all counts!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2008 9:37 pm    

Quote:
What Makes A Great Guitar

tone...that`s what guitar is made for, to produce the tone, if I wanted a beauty first I`d go get me a Playboy...

Db Cool

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 1:55 am    

Damir, you are hilarious! Laughing

A great guitar makes you proud to own it and play it. You gotta love the tone and the way it looks too.

Most important, you have to play a guitar that really inspires you to play your best. That way, when you play a gig, getting paid is just "icing on the cake". Very Happy
James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 2:33 am    

"What makes a good guitar"-------------------Can't agree more with what's already been said. But, I got to also say, it's wonderful when you have that special great amp/speakers to play that great guitar through. And a great venue to play it all at. Cool
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 3:02 am    

Good point James...

If I may take the liberty to add...

You need to be playing a great guitar through a great amp at a great venue with great musicians for a great crowd and get paid great money!

Don't forget there's lots of great girls to look at too! Laughing
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 7:55 am     great guitars

Chris, I hope your new inspiration had something to do with our last transaction. Two great guitars that anyone would be proud of but I find myself with some of the same feelings after being without brand X for awhile.
thanks,
Billy
James Morehead

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 9:59 am    

Danny Bates wrote:
Good point James...

If I may take the liberty to add...

You need to be playing a great guitar through a great amp at a great venue with great musicians for a great crowd and get paid great money!

Don't forget there's lots of great girls to look at too! Laughing

Danny, your post is definately greater than mine!! Laughing
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 2:17 pm    

that's great!
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 2:36 pm    

Quote:
What Makes A Great Guitar?
Lots and lots of Mooney and Money.
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 4:46 pm    

Oops...

I almost forgot... The gig also has great food and free (great) drinks!

One last thing... Everybody tips great too!
James Morehead

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 5:04 pm    

Danny Bates wrote:
Oops...

I almost forgot... The gig also has great food and free (great) drinks!

One last thing... Everybody tips great too!

HA Gotcha!! How about GREAT roadies's! Cool Laughing
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2008 6:22 pm    

Hi Chris:

I regret having sold some guitars. I have one I didn't sell but wrote off as not quite what I expected but after a while I it seemed to blossom in sound and feel. If that makes any sense?

I have another guitar that I won't sell but I am waiting for to bloom. Oh what fun! Smile
Danny Bates

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 6:56 pm    

Hey James... What about a great soundman too? Thought you had me didn't you? Laughing

Here's a short clip of a gig (just like one we're talking about) that I played last week.

Our mayor is talking and he is an ex actor. He was "Bubba" on a TV Show called "Still of the Night" with "Archie Bunker".

I pulled out my camera (it has a movie feature) and panned the room from left to right real quick just before he introduced us.

Notice the big screen TV's.... It was a "Great Gig"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQc3rG3p3W0
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 7:11 pm    

I remember Bubba (Alan Autry). That show was called "In The Heat Of The Night".

Lee
James Morehead

Post  Posted 2 Dec 2008 9:13 pm    

A GREAT booking agent, so you can KEEP doing these GREAT gigs with GREAT steel guitars.
Ah-Ha, Danny!! Whoa! Laughing
Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 4:25 am    

Hey Chris B...I sent the LTD 400 to Peavey and had it gone thru...it now resides in my cartage rig as my"live"amp for showcases,Fan Fair,etc...it's a HOSS...thanks again!

Fresno, CA. USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2008 9:17 am    

Lee... I think "Still of the night" is a song by the Platters! Thanks for the correction.

Ok James! You win. Laughing Actually this gig was all Doctors and rich people at a fundraiser for a hospital. We didn't ask for tips and nobody offered!

The only reason I'm up this early is I have to go play Xmas songs for them at the hospital 11 am.

I do think there once was a song called "The great gig in the sky"

Now back to you regularly scheduled thread. We killed this one!