| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Seat Height
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 8:35 am    

Was wondering If someone could tell me the height of a Guitar bench? I made my own and I'm fairly short and It does't feel comfortable to me. Mine is about 17 Inches high. Thanks Bob Graff
Zeke Cory

Hinsdale, New York USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 8:48 am     Shobud Seat Height

Hi Bob. I have a Shobud Seat and it is 18 1/2 inches from the floor to the top wood seat. It then has another 2 inches of seat foam covered with the plastic amp covering, tolex i have heard it called I believe. I can say I would not want it any shorter than it is. Maybe that difference of 2 inches or so would make a big difference for you. I too am short people, 5'8", and it is perfect for me setting at my Shobud LDG, Super Pro, or my Pro II Custom. I think different guitars may vary slightly but I am not sure. Maybe some other brand players would chime in here and add specifics to help you out. Thanks Zeke
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 9:34 am    

Thank Zeke I'm only 5'3 1/2 I play a Mullen Bob Graff
Chuck Snider R.I.P.

West Virginia, USA - Morgantown, WV
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 9:48 am    

I have recently purchased a used Steelseat.com seat. I have talked to the gentleman that owns that company (I think Thom is his name), and he was familiar with this particular seat. He said this seat was built and sold at the standard height of 20" to the top of the foam, and he said the foam is 1" thick. So, that equates to an actual working height of 19".

In my case this is a bit too short. I'm 6'2", and I would like to raise the seat 1"-2" or somewhere in between. Before I got the Steelseat.com seat I was using a fold-up (X shaped) piano stool from Guitar Center, and it was approximately 22" to the top of the foam, with approximately 2" of foam, making the approximate working height of slightly over 20".

-Chuck
GFI U-12 Ultra Keyless, Carter Black U-12, both with Alumitones, and a sweet '70 Sho-Bud Permanent D-10, NV400 in Rick Johnson cabs, NV112, '73 Vibrosonic in Rick Johnson cabs, Hilton pedal, Steeler's Choice seat, Bessdang Gizmos from Dale Hansen, and a few other widgets and doodads.
I may not sound good, I just don't wanna sound bad.
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 9:53 am    

Disclaimer:
Ignore any advice that I give

Seat height is best determined by the left ankle.

When pedal activation is comfortable, the seat is at the correct height.

Then, and only then, can the steel height be determined.
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 9:55 am    

Bob--I'm 5'4". A couple of my steels are an inch short, a couple are not. My seat is 20 1/2" high.
My suggestion is to buy or borrow a drum throne and use its adjustable height to experiment and find your comfort zone. Or keep your seat and use phone books or the cat or something to adjust it until you find the right specs. The strings should be at a comfortable height to your eyes and your hands and the knee levers should be accessible without resorting to tiptoes. And it would be a good thing if your feet can reach the pedals.
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 10:26 am    

Thanks for all the input. Thats how I feel the pedels are hard to reach but If I lower the seat I won't reach the knee levers! It's hell to be short!
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 10:50 am    

ok---this is just me......if it goes against anyone else's advice, what can I say. I sit at the very edge of my seat. Pretty much just lean my butt on it. I've almost slid off on occasion. Probably the result of SPS (short person syndrome). I have found that one size does not fit all with steels. When I had both my Carter and my Fess factory made, the height specs were pretty much about knee lever comfort. Sounds like your guitar might want to be lower. This would involve either chopping the legs or buying a new set and chopping or buying pedal rods. Ergonomics mean a lot to me and while I encourage (you or anyone) getting used to what you've got, there's no getting around a bad fit. Lowering the steel is not an extreme measure. I would consider it a very wise investment.

I also want the strings to be at a comfortable height. Sitting too low puts me into Glenn Gould territory.

Not my comfort zone.
Dennis Wallis

Arkansas
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 12:51 pm    

You might consider lowering the guitar. Sounds like it might be to tall for you to be comfortable. Then you could reach the pedals AND the knee levers comfortably.
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 1:32 pm    

Think I found the problem! My seat Is't high enough I tried setting on a phone book and It feels more comfortable. Thanks to all of you guys for your input. I'll have to get some longer legs for my seat. Bob Graff
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 1:45 pm     Pack-a-seat.............................

A steel player pays $125.00+ for a custom made steel guitar player seat and $4,000 for a pedal steel guitar.....

Tell me, are using the YELLOW PAGES or white pages?

If it works........go with it!
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 2:31 pm    

Yup - don't let anybody tell you how high your seat should be. The only gauge is whether or not it is comfortable for your body - every one of us is different. I suggest experimenting with both the seat height and steel height. Of course, if you want a shorter steel, that's more difficult than a taller one - one can easily add a lift kit to make it taller, but to make it shorter requires shorter pedal rods and perhaps even shorter legs. But I agree with Jon that it may be a wise investment in time and $ if raising your seat alone doesn't really fix it.

I have the reverse of your problem - a 20 or 21" seat is way too low for me, but I'm 6'4" with legs longer than that might even indicate. I raise my steels 3-4 inches depending on the depth, and use a drum throne much higher than the typical steel seat. I had a lot of trouble playing this contraption until I made it fit me instead of the other way around.
Bob Graff

Nebraska, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2008 6:30 pm    

Hi Ray Thanks for your reply. Iguess by being short I have the best of both worlds I can use the white and yellow pages at the same time ha ha ha I'd like to know how you can reach across three necks to play the 4th.Looks like a feat to me. I have a time trying to play one, let alone 4. I'd like to hear your outfit Bob Graff
Frank Sprague

Custer , Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 9:41 am     Seat Height

You just need to get the height where it's comfortable . I built my own also . but made it so it could be adjusted it one inch increments . I started out with what was a "standard" height for a steel seat, and ended up raising it two inches , and I'm only 5'-10" . . . . Franko

New Jersey
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 11:15 am    

Wow! This thread just opened my eyes to something I had never even given any thought to before.

Just measured my seat (first time ever) 21 3/4" to the top of the center foam. Foam measures approx. 3" at center. That's after my butt sitting on it for all of these years. Still no sag in it though. I'm 6' without boots on.

Since I've played the same pedal steel for all these years, and the seat was (at the time) custom made for me too. I had to go over before picking it up, and get measured up for the seat, placement of the knee levers, etc,etc,etc.

Interesting, as I'm thinking of whether or not it's going to fit, or if I'll fit under another steel.. That same seat has lasted through all of those years too. Unbelievable.. But now you (all) have me wondering, what I might be in for, with getting another steel.

A thought that had never before entered my mind.. Amazing how much we all take for granted and never give much thought into, until the time comes around of simply trying out a new steel, just to see how they compare, as to the ease of playing, and staying in tune.

I'm thinking of tucking old faithful away for all the many years of excellent service she's provided.

Glad I read this thread..

PS: It will also give me an excuse for my playing not being up to par.. Very Happy Very Happy
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 2:54 pm    

Bob Graff wrote:
Thanks for all the input. Thats how I feel the pedels are hard to reach but If I lower the seat I won't reach the knee levers! It's hell to be short!

Bob, get your legs trimmed! I mean on the steel! Laughing Laughing There are places that can do that for you, Carter maybe!

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2008 4:01 pm    

Avoid all the guesswork. Find a old piano stool with the long threaded rod in the middle. (the ones you could spin up and down on as a kid). Then keep moving it up or down till you feel comfortable. Measure the height, then get a seat thats the same height. Problem solved.

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2008 2:10 pm    

For me, I like to have my elbo's close to a 90 degree angle, and I also need to be able to activate my left knee vertical lever properly. I can adjust the height of the guitar, so It's never been a really big deal. But before I got my own seat, I got fouled up a couple of times when the available seating was a little too high, or low even after adjusting the guitar.