| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Did anyone see Tommy White on the Opry tonight??
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 7:30 pm    

Hey everyone, Just wonderin if yall seen the great Tommy White playing what looked like Don Helms Gibson Console tonight on the Grand Ole Opry? Towards the end of the show, Vince Gill did Blue Moon of Kentucky, and MAN Tommy tore that steel up with Don Helms licks,, If you have not seen it, your missin out!!!
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2008 7:44 pm    

Yes, Vince had Tommy play his Gibson Steel.
Dawn Sears sang with Vince on the Patsy Cline hit Don played on.
Great job Tommy! Smile

P.S.
This was on the T.V. Portion of the GOO! Smile
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 5:26 am    

Yes, and it was a great performance. I was hoping Vince, and Tommy, would do a few more songs, but it was a great hour of entertainment. We'll now have to see what the "classis country" Opry shows will bring us.

Atlanta, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 5:34 am    

Austin, you obviously are very confused because we all know the Opry is nothing more than a watered down rock and roll show. Must have been some other show you were watching. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing

Seriously, I am sorry I missed it!
Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 7:24 am    

Hey Bill, It is a watered down rock and roll show, But I try to soak up as much of Tommy White as I can, between the Crook and Chase show to the Opry.
Benton Allen

Muscle Shoals, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 7:54 am    

As I drove home from Memphis last night, I listened to the Opry and Tommy's fantastic work. Tommy's steel playing is one of the few bright spots remaining on the Opry these days. Great job Tommy!!!
Benton
Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 10:57 am    

Tommy did a fantastic job paying tribute to Don and displayed his ability as
an 8 str console player. Absolutely great playing Tommy.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 11:29 am    

Kudos to Tommy White.

Quote:
It is a watered down rock and roll show

Sadly.

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 3:42 pm    

Tommy did a great job.One of the best GOO show I've seen in quiet a while. Grascal, Dawn Sears, Vince and Guy Clark. Mrs. Lawson was a nice breath of country also with her version of Silver Wings. I have seen her many times around the Dallas Opry seen. Come On Goo more shows like this.

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 4:38 pm    

I watched the show and thought it was certainly a refreshing change for a change. It was a very nice tribute to Don. I understood that the Gibson Tommy played belonged to Vince ... but I'm probably wrong. I would have liked to see the show end with Vince singing Cold Cold heart, which was Don's signature song from the old days.

PS. I got a REAL KICK out of Guy Clark. As far as I'm concerned they can bring him back every week.
Jim Walker

Headland, AL
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2008 5:17 pm    

I saw the rerun on GAC tonight. Totally awesome! WTG Tommy! The sound was better than I had ever heard. The Steel was way up in the mix as we like it. What can you say about Dawn Sears. She's great! Vince is pretty cool too. It was great tribute to Don, I'm glad to have met and visited with him and what an honor it was to play at the same show as him last December. Something I'll never forget.

JW

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 6:31 am    

So, is there an answer to the persistant question here on the Forum; Is it the player or the instrument ?? I have always felt it was both !!

That Tommy and Don were both huge influences on the steel guitar world is a given fact. I am not surprized at the comments about the GOO remain but I do relish Vince's respect for the instrument and it's players. I have said many things about him in the past and never regretted a single word of my praise for him. WTG Vince !!

And Jim, I share your enthusiasm for Dawn. That tribute they posted for John Hughey (Another of VG's heros...) was aa complete a tribute as I have ever seen for anyone. She, and they, deserve all the accolades they have been given !!

Regards, Paul
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2008 3:06 pm    

There's not much Tommy White can't do. If fact I can't think of anything. He is an awesome player and a great guy. It must have been very hard for him to do that knowing how we all feel about Uncle Don. He pulled it off with the class it should have been. Thanks Tommy and Vince also for a job well done. I just hope we don't have to pay another tribute for a long while. Loveya Tommy, Bobby