| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  supro pickup magnets
joe b. wheeler

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 2:59 pm    

hello, i wonder what effect putting two magnets instead of one, in a valco supro string-thru pickup would do? [either stock or nib]
stock, one mag and one "dummy" [wood or aluminum] makes a type of horseshoe pickup, like the rickenbackers. would having two magnets defeat this effect? thoughts? thanx, joe
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2008 4:47 pm     Re: supro pickup magnets

joe b. wheeler wrote:

one mag and one "dummy" [wood or aluminum] makes a type of horseshoe pickup, like the rickenbackers.

would having two magnets defeat this effect? thoughts? thanx, joe

Sorry, but thats really not accurate ... Winking

Let me try and explain ...

A Ricky set up ... has two opposing magnets ... oriented to cause a massive repulsion at the gap between the two.

IE ... "Like" orientations on the top and bottom flanges of the horseshoes (both North / both South) facing each other ... producing a repulsion that drives magnetic lines of force away from the gap ... and into the coil.

The strongest part of each horseshoe is at its ends ... at the corners, specifically. The flux density gets lower as you move toward the curve ... and becomes zero as the polarity "switches" ...

A Supro with only one magnet ... will simply induce a magnetic field in the steel cover and backing plate ... that dissipates quickly "as it tries to span" the distance to the other side of the unit..

Supro/Valco/National started using "dummies" ... simply as a cost cutting measure ... nothing more.

Most units have two magnets.

These magnets are oriented so that "like poles" are interfacing with one steel plate ... and visa versa.

This sets up the same magnetic orientation ... as found in the Fender Boxcar and Trap units (Dual Pro, Customs, etc)..

Supro units need two magnets ... to reach the kinda potential ... that they are capable of.

Here's a crude schematic to illustrate the three configurations mentioned above :

Just tryin' to help ... Mr. Green
joe b. wheeler

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2008 5:25 am    

rick...i knew you would be the man when it comes to supro info..i'll be getting two nib magnets from you soon...thanx, joe