| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sarno Revelation Pre-amp with TC Furlong CB-12's
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2008 5:37 pm    

I heard today from a very realiable source, this is the ideal amp set-up for Steel Guitars. Has anyone been using this combination. If so, what are your comments.

Nick
Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 5:41 am    

I haven't actually played through it, but have heard this rig and it sounds absolutely wonderful. Best I ever heard!
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:23 am    

I have one of TC's cabinets (serial #001). I used it on a job the other night with a Tonic preamp borrowed from a friend. I wanted to answer my question of whether I should get that or the Rev. As you know, the Tonic is mono but fundamentally the same as its stereo big brother. Anyway, used with the CB-12 it sounded outstanding. I haven't been so impressed in a long time. The Furlong is SO great. Tone, tone, tone. Just a killer combination. So, really, I was going to send in my $$ this week for the Rev because of its stereo capability. But, wouldn't ya know, yesterday I stumbled across an Emmons S-10. Let's see, buy the Rev or the Emmons? The guitar won out because I can always start saving again for the preamp. P/P's lost for 35 years and then literally found in someone's closet don't come along often.

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 17 Jul 2008 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Brad Sarno

St. Louis, MO USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:41 am    

Eric,

very wise move. Being a lover, owner, and player of an Emmons S-10 (see avatar photo to left), I concur with the wisdom of your choice. The Rev will be around for a long time, and there will be plenty of them. But an Emmons S-10, that's a real treasure to find.

Enjoy!

Brad
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:51 am    

I need to let everyone know that both Brad Sarno and TC Furlong are just great people. I peppered each of them with lots of questions about their products. Call after call, they always were very patient with me and willing to answer whatever question I asked.
BOBBY JACKS

Fort Madison, Iowa
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2008 6:31 pm     Rev

Very Happy The Rev Is A Great Choice Love Mine And Am Thinking About Getting Another, 2 15" Peaveys Awesome. Very Happy
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 5:05 am    

The Rev and the Furlong Split cab are ingredients for a tone party. A wide variety of usable tones. Also, the "mellower" dial on the back of the Split cab is an interesting feature. Great stuff!
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 6:55 am    

I have a 12" version of TC's amp/speaker combo at the shop and it is extremely impressive.
John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 7:03 am    

Jim, without countervening Forum rules, what would that combo amp and preamp cost?
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 7:19 am    

I just have the 12" amp/speaker which is quite light and I believe it lists for $995. This requires a preamp and effects unit to be fully functional.
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2008 8:36 am    

Just as info, TC Furlong also makes a powered speaker that is specifically designed for the Tonic preamp. The cabinet has a space on top where that preamp slides in and is then secured. I believe it is available in both a 12" and a 15" speaker version. I saw several of them when I got my CB-12. They were very attractive and light in weight. I tell you, one of his cabinets weigh a LOT less than one of my Nashville 400's. More importantly, they sound better.
Ray DeVoe

Hudson, FL
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 7:45 am     splits

Hi Nick

I sold off a lot of extra equipment recently and purchased two of TC's 15" open back SPLITS. One has the space on top for the Tonic which I also just purchased from Brad, and the other is just a standard 15" split. I didn't plan on using the two units together as a normal setup but I just had to try it out for the "experience."

After experimenting for two weekends, It seems the perfect setup for my application is to run a BW in one cabinet and an old 8 ohm JBL D 130 F in the other.

It gives me an excellent sound when used together. The band I work with is playing a lot of country rock and the BW punches through better for that material. When the band is playing to a more "country type crowd," the JBL adds all of the sweetness that a player could ask for.

As I seem to be one of the first to try out the 15" models, TC and I have kept in close communication and he is experimenting using a Weber Cali in his own display model. Its to be proven yet, but TC states that these SPLIT poweramps are so clean and undistorted that even the 60 watt Cali will hold up.
The JBL that I am using is about a 75 watt speaker and time will tell.

This is what seems to be working great for my current needs.

Ray

Last edited by Ray DeVoe on 20 Jul 2008 5:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jul 2008 7:24 pm    

I use the Rev and Split-12 and couldn't be any more satisfied with anything else.
tone and sound is clean as can be any position where I play on the steel and are very full and rich. you can play this rig in any place you want and have power to spare.
Brad and TC are very helpful and patient gentlemen to deal with and are always ready to help you.