| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Curly Chalker
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 10:26 am    

Does anyone out there have a copy of Dick Curless Live at the Truck Drivers Jamboree, Wheeling, WV. Sure would like to have a copy. Email--Talctomee@yahoo.com. Thanks, Larry Gurley
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 11:26 am    

Larry,How are you doing?I'm probably wrong but I thought that Buzz played on that record?Stu Winking Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 12:07 pm    

Buzz is playing lead guitar, Chalker is on steel.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 7:15 pm    

I thought there was a Buzzz in there! Laughing Laughing
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jul 2008 7:30 pm    

Larry-contact me via email or PM.
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 6:33 pm     Thank You

I WANTED TO THANK YOU THAT REPLIED TO MY POST. I FOUND A COPY. TO ALL OF YOU STEELERS THAT HAVEN'T HEARD IT, YOU'RE IN FOR A GREAT TREAT. CHALKER AT HIS BEST.
Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 9:35 pm    

Curly played a solo on one song that made Curless forget where he was on his words and they started the song again. Fabulous live recording by Chalker.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 10:53 pm    

HI GARY,

I found that record not too long after it was issued,
1970s. Question

I also thought that was pretty neat where Dick Curless apologized to the audience and started his part over again. Cool

Roger
Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2008 11:41 pm    

If Curley could'nt make you forget the words,no one could,Speaking of Curly,if any of who have'nt got the DVD of Curly from Mike P. you DON'T know what your missing.DYKBC.

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 3:57 am    

Charles; you got that right !! I got my copy sometime back and it really is Curly doing his thing.
But I am still have withdrawal symptoms over steel guitar and can't be objective about it. This spring's tradgeties haven't helped either. Seems I keep saying the same things over and over again. What is it they say about time...

Regards, Paul

Regards, Paul
Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 3:59 am     Curly

This is probably Curlys' finest Sho-Bud sound. At least it is my favorite. Buzz played some fine guitar for a young buzzard . Harold Bradley was the session leader ,,,but, most of all, the drums were the great Buddy Harmon. Joe Allen on bass and piano was Jerry Smith , who wrote Truck Stop I think. I grew up two miles from Dick and he always had great players come to town for his band. In later yrs Dana Flood played steel in the NE area . JF
Fred Thompson

Zephyrhills, FL
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 4:55 pm    

I had the pleasure of playing lead guitar for Dick for 6-8 months back in the early 60's. We were doing six nights a week at a hotel and it was a great exterience for me. Dick had one of the finest voices I've ever heard and haven't heard anyone that could match him yet. He was a good friend and I still miss him. Shortly after the album came out, he gave me a copy. He always raved about Curls steel on the album and especially the ride he took on "Outskirts of Town". I talked with Curly at Jeffs last June Jam in 1996, and he had fond memories of Dick and the show. Buzz played great lead on the album also.
Fred
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 5:44 pm    

Curly was a hero for sure in the steel world. Smile
Cheryl Yates

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2008 6:58 pm    

Curly Chalker is my all-time favorite as for as tone is concerned. I love the fast chord chops too. He was an incredible player. I keep wishing he was still with us - this year will be my first trip to the ISGA convention, and he's who I really wish I could see!!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 6:22 am    

First, thank you Charles and Paul for mentioning the DVD I made. I must admit, I'm puzzled that so few people have bought copes. I literally have hundreds of them sitting in my garage.

I will be bringing about a dozen to the convention, where they will be sold at Scotty's booth.
Steve Alcott

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 7:37 am    

If you haven't already done so, buy the Chalker CD from Mike. He went to a lot of trouble and expense to do this project, and it's something every steel player should own.
Cheryl Yates

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 7:42 am    

Mike, what is that you're selling with Chalker?
Larry Gurley

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 7:59 am     shadow of your smile

Curly did a superb job on SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE with Stan Hitchcock.
robert kramer

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 8:44 am    

I also highly recommend the Curly Chalker DVD Mike Perlowin sells. Being able to visually watch Chalker play is a virtual master class in C-6th playing. You can actually see the fret positions where he is voicing his chords and this is almost essential if you are transcibing his solos. With this DVD, I was able to transcibe his arrangement of "Danny Boy" which I wasn't able to hear "correctly" off the "Counterpoint" LP.

Aside from all this, Curly was a very entertaining and musical steel player.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 8:56 am    

Cheryl Yates wrote:
Mike, what is that you're selling with Chalker?

Cheryl, in December if 1986, Chalker did two back-to-back performances. The first was a concert in California, and the second was at Scotty's Christmas party.

The DVD is just over 2 hours of footage on non-stop playing from both performances. The St Louis portion features Bobby Caldwell on guitar, Russ Wever on bass, and Jimmy Queen on drums. The California part features Johnny Davis on guitar, our fellow forumite Jim Bob Sedgewick on bass, and a drummer named John Mercuri.

I think it may be the ultimate document of Chalker's genius.
Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 9:05 am    

The DVD Mike has put together is great, if you're a fan or want to learn about Chalker it's really a blast to watch. Mike, do you happen to know what he's using to get the organ effect he uses?

Cliff
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 9:11 am    

Cliff Kane wrote:
Mike, do you happen to know what he's using to get the organ effect he uses?

Cliff, years ago somebody sold an organ simulator called "the Jr." It might be that.
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 9:44 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
I must admit, I'm puzzled that so few people have bought copes.

It might help if you "bumped" your for sale ad once in a while over in Buy and Sell...
To be honest, I forgot you were selling it! Smile

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 10:12 am    

P Gleespen wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:
I must admit, I'm puzzled that so few people have bought copes.

It might help if you "bumped" your for sale ad once in a while over in Buy and Sell.

You're probably right, but I don't feel comfortable mentioning things like this and my persona projects unless they subject already comes up.

It's one thing to mention it in the course of a thread, and another to hype it.

We all announce when we have a new CD out, but I think we'd all hate to see this forum become an advertising medium.
Alan Miller

, England, UK.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2008 2:59 pm    

Mike , I personally don't think it would be wrong to "advertise" the Curley Chalker DVD on the forum once in a while, after all its a piece of history which you spent many hours putting together for all the right reasons...mainly to preserve the one remaining video ( at your expense ) from a set of which the others have been lost ,probably for ever.

I have a copy and I watch it over and over again , he is an astounding steel player
and if anyone gets a copy now they will wonder why they waited so long to see this great DVD .
Londonderry aire ( Danny boy ) is just mindblowing.