| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie from Ireland... any more Irish Steelers here?
David Murphy

Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:08 am    

Hello all... greetings from Cork, Ireland! I'm new to the Steel Guitar Forum and just thought I'd introduce myself. I have been dabbling in pedal steel for the past year, I took a gamble and bought a Carter Starter as I was intrigued with the instrument for quite a while. Been playing 6 string guitar and mandolin for a good few years now. Have only recently had the opportunity to dedicate more time to pedal steel and experiment. And I'm loving it! I've played a few shows recently sitting in with a friend's band and I gotta say I've fallen in love with pedal steel. This is my first posting on the forum. I was lucky enough to have a brief chat with great Portland OR steeler Paul Brainard after a recent show and he recommended signing up.

I played steel on two songs on a folk album I co-wrote and produced last year entitled 'Murphy Lane', if any of you folks want to check out my myspace... 'China Run' and 'Cant Recall' are the songs. I was still coming to grips with the instrument, and like to think I've improved since then!

http://www.myspace.com/murphylane

There doesn't seem to be many pedal steel players in Ireland - I certainly don't know of anybody in my area and definitely not anybody my age (I'm 25). I'd just like to know, are there any more steelers on here from Ireland??

Great forum, by the way. Everybody seems to be very nice and helpful and I'm looking forward to getting to know some more players.

David
Steve Norman

Seattle Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:29 am    

2 or 3 generations removed,not what your looking for I bet,,lol

,Welcome aboard!

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:50 am    

Welcome to the forum. As for Irish steelers, Richard Nelson comes to mind, fantastic jazz player.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:52 am    

David,
There are a bunch of very fine steelers in Ireland, several of whom do participate here in the Forum and I'm sure you'll hear from them soon here. Meanwhile, you should be aware of the great Irish Steel Guitar Association steel show, held in Drogheda each year. More info at http://www.steelguitarireland.com/
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2008 7:57 am    

Welcome to this Great Forum David from The Pyrenees in France Very Happy
you're gonna love it here

there are more steelers in Ireland than you think & you're quite lucky to have a steel guitar rendez vous in Drougheda in October

http://www.steelguitarireland.com/
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2008 2:32 am    

Hi David, Welcome to the forum. I'm half Irish on my mother's side but I think you are probably talking geography not genealogy! I'm over the water from you but give me a shout if you need advice from another obsessed newbie (3 years in). Pedal steel is such a unique and uncommon instrument it's easy to feel isolated from other players, which is where the forum comes into it's own.

You must have met Paul on his tour with Willy Vlautin. Me too! Great steeler and a nice guy. I'm enjoying his solo CD which he is WAY too humble about. I really love Northline and the Richmond Fontaine albums.

I haven't been to Cork but if it's anything like over here, pedal steels are rare as hen's teeth. You may already be familiar with Ted Nesbitt in Carrickfergus. I'm sure he will sort you out with a pro-level steel if and when you decide to upgrade http://rainbowmusic.mysite.orange.co.uk/ Not exactly next door I know, but he's nearer than Nashville!
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2008 3:04 am    

Hi David and welcome, I'm a Cork man , born in Mallow and raised in Fermoy. I thought there were quite a few Irish steel players.
Tony Davis

Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2008 3:33 am    

Hi David

My very close friends Anne Marie O,Keefe and her Hubby John are well into steel guitar....John has a Zum...Anne Marie has a Beard Dobro.....they live just down the road from you in Ballyduff Upper...Waterford

I think they have something to do with organising the Irish convention

Give em a call....or email me if I can help........

........Tony
David Murphy

Cork, Ireland
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2008 5:03 am    

Thanks for all the reponses folks. Wow, I guess there are quite a few Irish steel players but I probably just haven't been watching out. I think I'll be making the trip to the Convention in Drogheda this year, seems to be a good little community in Ireland.

"I'm over the water from you but give me a shout if you need advice from another obsessed newbie (3 years in)."

Thanks very much Jonathon. Yes, I met Paul recently on that tour and he was very helpful with advice on what effects pedals he uses and amps etc. Nice guy. Must check out Ted Nesbitt in Carrickfergus - will be upgrading from my Carter Starter hopefully early next year.

"Hi David and welcome, I'm a Cork man , born in Mallow and raised in Fermoy. I thought there were quite a few Irish steel players."

Wow, small world John. I'm from Buttevant - just down the road - but until recently, worked and lived in Fermoy for the past few years. Have just relocated to the city.

Great to meet you all & thanks again for the info. It's nice to know I'm not alone here! Smile
David
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2008 7:33 am    

Wow Tony it's a small world, I lived just outside Ballyduff for about four years. I went to school there.
There were quite a few o'Keefe's living there.
David, I worked with a guitarist from Buttevant back in the 70's in the UK his name was Denis Cremin, he now lives in Swindon ..John
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2008 6:46 am    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=135913
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2008 7:09 pm    

hey David, welcome to the forum ...my Grandad Jim Flanagan was from Cork so we are probably related Very Happy

Good luck with your playing.... and get in touch with Ted Nesbitt up in the North country, he will be able to help you out a lot.

http://rainbowmusic.mysite.orange.co.uk/
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 9:41 am    

John Roche wrote:
Wow Tony it's a small world, I lived just outside Ballyduff for about four years. I went to school there.
There were quite a few o'Keefe's living there.
David, I worked with a guitarist from Buttevant back in the 70's in the UK his name was Denis Cremin, he now lives in Swindon ..John

John - he's otherwise known as Denis Gremlin Very Happy . I am meeting up with him in an hour in Newbury to have a pint or two.
John Roche

England
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2008 10:13 am    

Ken , Denis is a very funny man and a great musician as you know.He tells some great stories. We worked together in a band called Kinda Country back in the 70's.
Give my regards...John