| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Catch-words, Foul-ups, Etc.
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2008 4:57 am    

Thriving on the inability to address, or harness the forum wittinesses, that encompass a full range or spectrum of knowledgeable subject matters, has been a great pasttime. I'm proud to say that my membership dates back to the year of 2001. At times I find it difficult to understand how the founder of this forum (b0b), has kept his devotion to the steel guitar so very constant. It's truly amazing how one man can absorb such a workload, and show no signs of displeasure or weakening. There are any number of steel player related issues, that have yet to be discussed under "catch-word" titles. Matters related to the pedal steel guitar appear trivial, only to those who haven't intently delved into critical issues. Smile
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 19 Mar 2008 9:13 pm    

What's up Doc?
I am one of those players who haven’t intently delved into critical issues and matters related to the pedal steel guitar do appear trivial to me. I do though agree with you 100% on the job b0b is doing. I don't believe your topics necessarily delve into critical issues. I don't believe your critics unnecessarily delve into your topics. It's like Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd. You just can't have one without the other and I love every thread of it or maybe I just took a wrong turn in Albuquerque.
Eric West

Portland, Oregon, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2008 9:38 pm    

Quote:
Thriving on the inability to address, or harness the forum wittinesses, that encompass a full range or spectrum of knowledgeable subject matters, has been a great pasttime. -Bill Hankey-

Well Bill, best of luck with it.

I've got some practicenesses to attend to..

Wink

EJL
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 2:30 am    

Eric or Bo Legg,

The fustigated commentary, pouring from pursed lips, and a twinkling of the eyes, motivates the desire to respond in kind. It's always rewarding to learn something new, particularly if the "discoveries" involve just reaching out, or cupping a hand to pick up the finer points of words emitted through lip wisdom. The steel guitar happens to be a mechanical instrument, that has emerged with a wide assortment of problematic issues, (mainly maladjustments), stances, attitudes, etc., that carry over from day to day. Newcomers to the learning procedures, usually involves more time than average industrious individuals, with a penchant to expand, have to offer. That which blocks the path to attaining excellence, can be explained by explicitly addressing the root problems. The MONEY ISSUE quickly looms before the eyes, more or less defiantly. The greatness of pressing needs, to pocket more cash has undoubtedly denied thousands of
would be cash flow musicians from achieving their goals. The money issue would challenge the wit and jolly demeanor of irksome "stratagists", who would make light of a declining culture. I would favor inching into discussions that close in on financial repercussions, mechanical issues, long range views, preserving traditions by sharing knowledge, etc. The honing of perceptions, and reducing the"MAGPIE" approaches to serious issues, could result in benefitting others in the process. Smile
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 4:55 am    

fustigated:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fustigated
Barry Scott

San Diego, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 6:37 am    

Taking a long drawn out puff from my pipe whilst wearing my favorite smoking jacket I say, " uuummmmmmmm...I see."
Eric West

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 7:29 am    

Quote:
Eric or Bo Legg.. -Bill Hankey-

Go ahead Bo.

It's your turn.

Wink

EJL
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 11:58 am    

Eric,

Replies that contain meaningful thoughts that pertain to a particular thread, would be most welcome. I tried to make a point that mastery of the steel guitar, depends solely on many hours of regular practice. An accomplished player possesses a distinguished type of immunity from external callousness. It's one of the many benefits realized by those who have attained levels of expertise, through years of dedicated practice sessions.
Eric West

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 3:05 pm    

Quote:
I tried to make a point that mastery of the steel guitar, depends solely on many hours of regular practice. -BH-

Well Bill, that's a VERY clear way of putting it.

I agree totally.

Editing your inital post might help those attempting to answer your original Topic.

Sometimes I have done that to keep from confusing people that might otherwise take it wrong, or get frustrated at my original use of words.

Smile

EJL
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 5:21 pm    

Eric,

My goal has always been to enter into a creative-writing workshop. The steel guitar will always provide the incentive needed to maintain a healthy interest, and a safe place to keep sharing thoughts.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 5:39 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
My goal has always been to enter into a creative-writing workshop.

Thank you, Bill. I've been looking for a statement along these lines for a few years now. Thanks! Smile
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 5:55 pm    

Bill Hankey wrote:
Eric,

My goal has always been to enter into a creative-writing workshop. The steel guitar will always provide the incentive needed to maintain a healthy interest, and a safe place to keep sharing thoughts.

I for one have always found your writing to be very creative, Bill. I'm often disappointed, though, that the responses invariably drift to criticisms of form rather than explorations of ideas.

When I was new to the steel guitar, I was also a novice in the related subjects of music theory and the physics of sound. Study of steel guitar led me to some degree of mastery of those subjects, to the point where some would consider me an expert.

Still, music itself is an infinite subject worthy of one's lifelong attention. There are few fields of study that offer such continual enrichment, from childhood through the final stages of life. It's not difficult for me to sustain this interest, simply because I am always learning something new.

I hope that my "Pollyanna"-like view of the subject matter doesn't trivialize it in the reader's mind. There is that danger when unbridled joy encounters the cynic. Some of the favorite music of my youth is so naive in its outlook on life and love that it almost makes me blush, but I still enjoy listening to it. The formula for making music that resonates with the listener is, I believe, to follow your heart and aim your music at kindred spirits...

... Which brings me of course to the Steel Guitar Forum. Steel guitar bridges the gap between mind and heart. It marries cold physics to warm emotions. It adds sophisticated, complex ideas to simple, 3 chord songs without sounding a bit out of place.

"Steel guitar" is not the sort of topic that one should abandon without careful thought, nor the sort that should be sidetracked without a specific, constructive purpose in mind. That's why I remain devoted to improving the discourse regarding the steel guitar, to the exclusion of many peripheral, less significant issues.

Post  Posted 20 Mar 2008 6:06 pm    

Well b0b.

I think I'm going to get a Marimba too..

Smile

EJL/HFLE
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 4:28 am    

b0b,

Thanks for exercising your adroit writing skills that expressly deter any would be thoughts of your capacity to lead and represent in its entirety, a forum consisting of many skillful writers. I tried to brace myself while reading your excellent account and delivery of events, both past and present. I went down for the count, while reading, as a realization came winging in. Your creative writing style is without a doubt, a page in lessons learned.
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 5:55 am    

Bill Hankey wrote:
The honing of perceptions,
and reducing the"MAGPIE" approaches to serious issues,
could result in benefitting others in the process. Smile

I like that one!

Feeling fustigated,
fumugate your environment
with Boor Begone.
Begin the begone! Razz

I suspect b0b's lucidity in prose,
is a reflection or counterpart of
why he runs this board so well.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Eric West

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 6:22 am    

Well, get a room for four, and if I don't show up...

Start without me.

Smile

EJL/HFLE
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 6:29 am    

Hagiographys R Us ???

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 7:31 am    

Wouldn't it be fair to assume that we'll never arrive. There is simply too much ground to cover in satifying our desire to relish reaching the apex of our journey; and to comprehend fully, the outreaches of true mastery of the steel guitar.
Randy Phelps

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 7:53 am    

you can't lose sight of the image of a man digging tirelessly in the desert sun, clawing endlessly in the sand in search of clams and subsequent pearls... the observer immediately sees the fruitlessness of the quest, admires the effort but becomes frustrated watching futility embodied.
David L. Donald

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 8:12 am    

Few aspire to the daunting heights,
just look in awe or uncomprehendingly.

Some reach foothills and admire the view and stay put,
content to green pastures and flowery.

Others scale further abutments and plateaus;
yet each successive plateau becomes
farther and longer apart.

Some rare few breath the rarified air of mastery of the peaks,
only to realize that there is another summit,
yet to be seen in full, yet to be imagined in complexity and beauty.

Those rare few inspire us to scale the very air
to join them... or not.

David L. Donald

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 8:21 am    

Randy Phelps wrote:
you can't lose sight of the image of a man digging tirelessly in the desert sun, clawing endlessly in the sand in search of clams and subsequent pearls... the observer immediately sees the fruitlessness of the quest, admires the effort but becomes frustrated watching futility embodied.

That same man might suddenly find Alosaurus or T rex,
and attain archeological immortality and attain relative
financial stability from tenure and speaking incomes
for his lifetime.

Or simply prove that time did NOT go forward
as had long been thought.
And thus prove many great thinkers
in complete error.

And so, in the end, die contented in his avocation.

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 11:07 am    

David,

Can we survive in a society influenced by drifting opinions, and constant parroting of changes of lesser or greater values? It's becoming more difficult to check information sources for accuracy, while disputatious consultants formulate mirages on a large scale. I've commenced to hunger for up to date information on progressive activities, from reliable sources.
Randy Phelps

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 3:02 pm    

beg to differ Bill.

It is far easier to verify information today. In days gone by the yellow journalism machine was the only game in town... so, for many there was only the bewildering feeling of thinking there was something wrong... without the benefit of additional information.

We used to accept the party line. Today, you have to fight through the disinformation, but the information is available if you are willing to focus your skills of critical thought.
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 3:43 pm    

Dig here for truth?

Post  Posted 21 Mar 2008 4:38 pm    

Very well then..

Here's your onion.

I'm off to London.

You'll find it.

Smile

EJL