| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  KILLER Emmons (and Phil Baugh) videos on youtube!
scott murray

Asheville, NC
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 12:35 pm    

GO HERE and scroll down just a hair.

i guess these have been up for a couple months, but this guy Earl has 4 or 5 great Emmons/Baugh videos I hadn't seen til today... performed w/ the Cameron Jazz Orchestra in OK.

incredible stuff.

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 6:50 pm    

From your clip/link Scott, I found another great Emmons solo on T for Texas with Tompall Glaser...the clip also shows a guitar picker that looks a lot like Reggie Young, I am not sure if it is Reggie or not but it does look like him to me. Anyway, please enjoy this clip as well. Best regards. ..jeff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhX8P8WMGw&feature=related
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2008 7:22 pm    

Once Upon A Time In the West was the star here! Nice Ebow work!
Fish

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 10:17 am    

Thanks for this link to "T For Texas," Jeff. This is another great example of Mr. Emmons' unparalleled command of our instrument. I love this particular solo because it's essentially the same period as Buddy's Live '77 recording, plus he seems to be playing through a Fender Twin (probably against his will!) and I love that particular tone.

And yes, that's Reggie on the guitar.
Jeff Bradshaw

Leslieville, Alberta - Canada
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 12:55 pm    

You are welcome Fish, I love the ease in which Buddy delivers the solo..&..you are right, the tone certainly is superb! Regards. ..jeff
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 1:51 pm    

Why is Buddy wearing that horseshoe ring?
Fish

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 2:36 pm    

....because he's bad-to-the-bone!
Johnny Thomasson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2008 6:08 pm     Buddy Emmons

Not exactly 'Way to Survive', is it? Holy cow! It's no wonder he's considered to be the world's foremost steel guitar player. Thanks everyone for posting these links. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Now if one of you would come over to help me drag my Pro-II to the curb, I'd appreciate it... Oh Well

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 6:23 am    

We all agree that Buddy has "the" tone,,,,and there has been many threads about "the tone being in the hands". Notice how straight up and down Buddy's right hand is. Jeff Newman advocates,,and tried to get all his students to have their hand at a 45 degree angle. I've noticed that the more straight up and down my right hand is the better my tone,,,,I've gotten a little past the 45,,,but not as straight up and down as Buddy,,,or Jeff,,,or dozens of others of the "tone" monsters,,,but I'm working on it,,and can definitly see the advantages of it.
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 26 Feb 2008 8:27 am    

Thanks heaps for posting the vidoes to Youtube. Phil Baugh's pedal Peavey is insane!!
Archie Nicol R.I.P.

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2008 4:08 am    

New one added:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nvvZxbKtok

I noticed there was a spare bass player in the band.
I've felt that way myself at times. Rolling Eyes

Arch.

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2008 10:51 am    

......and to think we used to get to see Phil & Buddy for free, 6 nights a week @ the H.O.F. Lounge here in Nashville in the early 80's!
Whatta pair to draw to Smile
Somewhere I still have a few sets from those gigs on cassette....somewhere.

Drew,
in the early 80's I inherited the job of being Phil's office manager/cartage-guitar tech from Kenny Albert.
As such, part of my job was to haul around and maintain the Peavey guitar you mentioned, as well as the cool Franklin pedal board hookup, Phil's Korg synth briefcase, plus his twin,small-cabinet Session 500's and his pak-a-couch(!) It was an awesome rig, to be sure. Heavy, but awesome. And it mustve been quite a sight, me hauling all that around town in a Dodge Colt hatchback Very Happy

Funny story, I was setting Phil up one morning at a studio and PF was on the session. Paul's dad had just refinished the guitar he was playing alot back then in a sharp looking, custom cut, yellow/red mica motif. As we commented on its appearance I idly began to tune the 6 string pedal-guitar. After getting it in I played a few "Phil" licks to make sure it was settled properly, to which Phil came over the talkback mic and said......"son, you just tune it, I'll play it..."
Paul & I cracked up on the spot Laughing Phil was one funny hombre, in addition to his dazzling guitar work.